WHAT ABOUT CORNELIUS ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I really cant say I know what your position is but Paul was saying:

My position is the same as Paul's. we are all one in Christ .

You are doing what the Judaizers were doing, seeking to divide the body. Many have tried to do so in many different ways over 2000 years, and they are all preaching contrary to Paul...

The Church is ONE!

Shame on you for trying to divide Paul from the other apostles.
I suggest you jettison this tradition of men that you hold and listen to the Spirit, which calls us all to union in Christ!

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Peter was a chosen vessel of the Lord...called and chosen to be a disciple of Christ and who Christ named him Peter and upon this rock He would build His church....

“And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”
— Matthew 16:18 (KJV)
I think that qualifies Peter as being a part of the church since he is the rock it was being built on...:cool::eek::rolleyes::)
@Heart2Soul Peter had just declared, 'Thou are the Christ, the Son of the living God': this is foundation....

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul Peter had just declared, 'Thou are the Christ, the Son of the living God': this is foundation....
Matthew 16 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹⁵ He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
¹⁶ And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
¹⁷ And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
¹⁸ And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
¹⁹ And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Acts 10:1 There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band,
10:2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.

It is significant that Cornelius was a Gentile, devout to the Lord. Cornelius was not just any Gentile, he was devout, just, feared God and he blessed Israel (Acts 10:22). God said he would bless those who blessed the nation of Israel in Genesis 12:3. His prayers and alms came up to God as a memorial (Acts 10:4).

10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:

Peter had a vision of the Lord and was told that what the Lord had said was clean should not be seen as otherwise. The Lord was talking of Gentiles, no longer being deemed as unclean.

10:24 And the morrow after they entered into Caesarea. And Cornelius waited for them, and he had called together his kinsmen and near friends.

It could be assumed his kinsmen and friends were Gentiles.

10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

Peter was not dispensing new revelation here, he was speaking what was in the law and prophets, he was speaking prophecy. Prophecy is not limited to foretelling the future, it also communicates revelations of the purposes and knowledge of God. Prophecy is not hidden knowledge, but can be searched within the law and the prophets.

It was already revealed in the prophetic scriptures that God was not a respecter of persons as can be read in Deuteronomy 1:17 Deuteronomy 10:17 and Proverbs 24:23.

10:35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

This was also according to prophecy as we can find this knowledge in Ecclesiastes 12:13 Psalm 147:11 and Luke 1:50.

10:36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all: )

Jesus is Lord of all, but he went first, to the house of Israel.

10:39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:

Here Peter is accusing Israel in slaying Jesus just as he did in Acts 2:23.

10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Peter is not preaching the cross here, he is preaching faith in the name of Jesus for the remission of sins. Peter is not preaching mystery as Paul, but prophecy. Prophecy preached that Jesus would justify and forgive the sins of Israel as seen in Isaiah 53:11 Jeremiah 31:34 Daniel 9:24 Micah 7:18.

10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Peter's message was interrupted as the believing Gentiles received the Holy Ghost, just as the Jews had.

10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

These Gentiles spoke with tongues as a sign. Jesus said those who believed on the name of Jesus and the gospel of the kingdom on earth would speak with tongues in Mark 16:17. According to 1 Corinthians 14:21-22 tongues were to speak unto unbelieving Israel as a sign; Paul in this verse was manifesting Isaiah 28:11. Tongues was an evidence that Peter was still dealing with prophecy and not the mystery revealed to Paul.

10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Peter, preaching the gospel of the Circumcision, commanded baptism under the commandments given to Israel to believe and be baptized as seen in Luke 3:21 Luke 7:29 Acts 2:38 Acts 8:12 and Mark 16:16. Cornelius and the Gentiles were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus as prescribed for believing Israel, who believed on the name of Jesus. Israel was saved by believing on the name of the Lord Jesus, that he is Christ, the Son of God, as seen in John 20:31. Peter was not preaching the full revelation of the cross given to Paul, and Cornelius was not the first Gentile in the church, the body of Christ. Cornelius was a Gentile grafted into the good olive tree of believing Israel of Romans 11:24, to provoke Israel to jealousy as seen in Romans 11:11.

The book of Acts is a transitional book; it moves from the old economy of the law to the dispensation of Grace; it moves from the diminishing of Israel, toward the Gentiles. It moves from Peter to Paul.

To Peter it was revealed that God was moving in a new way with the Gentiles, however, Peter was not preaching the mystery, but rather prophecy, as witnessed by the law and the prophets. Peter was preaching the same message that he preached in Acts 2. Paul preached both mystery and Christ from the law and the prophets (Romans 16:25-26). Paul fully manifested the law and the prophets that witnessed Christ.
Hello @Doug,

Excellent study re. Cornelius.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and he was in Christ, the church of God who believed only in the name of Jesus and the gospel of the kingdom...the body of Christ was formed after Acts 9.
GINOLJC, to all
thanks for the reply but you ERROR Doug, Peter recieved the Holy Ghost before Acts. supportive scripture, John 20:22 "And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:"

Doug you're a dollar and a day late. now the record of John do comes before Acts chapter 9 ... right?

PICJAG.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
did you not read? 1 Corinthians 12:13 "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."
PICJAG.
What am I supposed to see here ?
Paul is speaking of the body of Christ formed and revealed to Paul in this dispensation.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What am I supposed to see here ?
Paul is speaking of the body of Christ formed and revealed to Paul in this dispensation.
Doug, Doug, Doug, the body of christ was already formed, before the Lord Jesus left. only added to on Pentecost.

with closed eyes Doug you cannot see nothing.

PICJAG.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh Nooooo, you didn't just say that did you?
He is the Spirit of Truth! And whatever He hears the Father speak He speaks, He is the one who teaches us and guides us into all truth....He is the one who anoints us with His gifts, His Power in us and through us....
The entire Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit! Through the hands of man to write it.
I think I have just witnessed one of the most absurdly false statements ever spoken on this forum....I pray it is in ignorance....well it has to be....that you say this.

Yes we have the Holy Spirit as I said but so did those believers who believed on the name of Jesus before the body of Christ.
In saying the Spirit is not a qualifier determining who is in the body of Christ does not deny that the body of Christ has the Spirit, but it is not correct to say that everyone that has the Spirit is only and solely in the body of Christ. Believers in the blood redemption of Christ only in this dispensation of grace are in the body of Christ.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believers in the blood redemption of Christ only in this dispensation of grace are in the body of Christ.
but did you not say Peter was not in the body? see post #23

PICJAG.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My position is the same as Paul's. we are all one in Christ .

You are doing what the Judaizers were doing, seeking to divide the body. Many have tried to do so in many different ways over 2000 years, and they are all preaching contrary to Paul...

The Church is ONE!

Shame on you for trying to divide Paul from the other apostles.
I suggest you jettison this tradition of men that you hold and listen to the Spirit, which calls us all to union in Christ!

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

Yes we are all one in Christ in the body of Christ which was not formed or revealed until after Acts 9. It was only revealed through Paul. Division comes by not following the doctrines Paul gives for the church, the body of Christ, and by mixing up what God was doing with the twelve apostles and their doctrine and gospel with Paul and his doctrine and his gospel.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all
thanks for the reply but you ERROR Doug, Peter recieved the Holy Ghost before Acts. supportive scripture, John 20:22 "And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:"

Doug you're a dollar and a day late. now the record of John do comes before Acts chapter 9 ... right?

PICJAG.
Sorry, but i do not see what receiving the Holy Ghost has to do with saying Peter was not in the body of Christ formed and revealed with Paul after Acts 9.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doug, Doug, Doug, the body of christ was already formed, before the Lord Jesus left. only added to on Pentecost.

with closed eyes Doug you cannot see nothing.

PICJAG.
The church of God added to at Pentecost was the believing remnant of Israel not the body of Christ.
The body of Christ was a mystery, not made known until Paul see Ephesians 5:30-32.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but did you not say Peter was not in the body? see post #23

PICJAG.

Just because Peter says by grace does not mean he is in the body of Christ.....it has always been by grace...Jesus by grace died for the sins Israel committed under the first testament because Israel could not keep the law to be righteous.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church of God added to at Pentecost was the believing remnant of Israel not the body of Christ.
The body of Christ was a mystery, not made known until Paul see Ephesians 5:30-32.
NO more mystery, are you really reading the bible, your arguments are from ignorance and ant from the word of God.

so good day.

PICJAG

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes we are all one in Christ in the body of Christ which was not formed or revealed until after Acts 9.

Dear Doug,

They devoted themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to the communal life, to the breaking of the bread and to the prayers.

The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?

Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They devoted themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to the communal life, to the breaking of the bread and to the prayers.

This was not the body of Christ this was the remnant of Israel.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?

Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.

Just because Paul talks of bread does not mean since the remnant of Israel broke bread proves they were both the body of Christ. Paul is talking about the communion of the body of Christ

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul is talking about the communion of the body of Christ

Indeed he is:

For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread,...

Peace!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!