What constitutes abandonment?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kimshi42

Dec 27, 2007
Outright leaving your spouse is abandonment. But what about not fulfilling your sexual duties as a husband or wife...for years on end? Let's say there's no medical reason for the inability to perform... Some would say this is abandonment. What say you?

SealedEternal

Jan 6, 2008
Obviously someone who is unable to perform sexually due to physical problems that are out of their control, haven't abandoned their spouse. What's the real point of the question?SealedEternal

FoC

Apr 11, 2008
(SealedEternal;51167)
Obviously someone who is unable to perform sexually due to physical problems that are out of their control, haven't abandoned their spouse. What's the real point of the question?SealedEternal
Im interested to see what the real point is myself
smile.gif
Sounds like the OP is just interested in knowing what other views might be. Nothing wrong with that at all

FoC

Apr 11, 2008
(Kimshi42;51163)
Outright leaving your spouse is abandonment. But what about not fulfilling your sexual duties as a husband or wife...for years on end? Let's say there's no medical reason for the inability to perform... Some would say this is abandonment. What say you?
That would be not fulfilling the requirements of marriage.I wouldnt call it abondonment, Id call it selfishness that needs repentance and for the person to learn to love and respect their spouse (and God if they claim christianity) a bit more than they obviously do.If this is about it being grounds for divorce, Id be willing to hear out a logical discussion on that point.Some believe that the marriage covenant is UNconditional and that a spouse can get away with anything and we're stuck with them. Scipture doesnt agree with that erroneous viewpoint.

Kimshi42

Dec 27, 2007
Yeah, I know of someone going through this. Some Christian friends say the husband abandoned the wife b/c although the problem isn't his doing, he hasn't exactly done a lot to fix it. The onus islargely on the wife to find docs, possible meds, etc. She's seeking divorce but doesn't want to sin.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(Kimshi42;51163)
It really depends on the person(s). Some are just downright not interested in sex. I once watched a documentary about an older archaeologist couple that made it their passion to search out things and their lives were basically celibate, yet they were inseparable. And this assumes a consensus on both sides. Then it probably does not indicate a problem.Along that subject line, I have yet to see any marriage that one or the other did not do something often enough, or did something too much that bothered the other spouse. I suppose I could say the same about my wife, but when I see my own shortcomings, I outrank her 2:1. So anything she does or doesn't do that bothers me I shut up and adjust. Divorce is not an option. That's only an option when the person is not willing to adjust because when one thinks about it, if the spouse changed their behavior to suit the other, then the one that changed is now out of their comfort zone. So, there's still one unhappy. In my case, I'd rather be the one unhappy. As long as my wife is happy. That's love. But if she changed to meet my needs and then she was unhappy and I'd be blissfully ignorant (and selfish), then that's when trouble comes along. Unfortunately, most people choose the latter and that's why the divorce rates are through the roof. And the grass is never greener with the next one. Ever notice that? Divorce is oftentimes like smoking: chain events.