What did Christ mean saying, God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
There is no question Christ said it, as we find it in several places..
Mark 12:27
He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.

Luke 20:38
For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

So lets begin in Matthew..

Matthew 22:23-33
23 The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him,
24 Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.
25 Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother:
26 Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh.
27 And last of all the woman died also.
28 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.
33 And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

Look at what Jesus said to the Sadducees in verses 30-32: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God, 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?' He is God not of the dead, but of the living" .

The whole passage if you look is a discussion between Jesus and the Sadducees about the resurrection. They denied that there would be a resurrection of the dead and came to see what Christ would say. They posed a hypothetical case of a woman who married seven brothers in turn and asked Jesus which of the brothers would be her husband after the resurrection. Jesus' answer focused on the resurrection: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like the angels in heaven" in verse 30. Then he added: "But as for the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read what was said to you by God, I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? He is God not of the dead, but of the living". What did Christ mean?

I'd like to try to answer this part of your post, (quote)
Look at what Jesus said to the Sadducees in verses 30-32: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God, 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?' He is God not of the dead, but of the living."

The prior part of the discussion regarded widows and furtherance of the seeds of dead men.

I think contextually Jesus is telling us only living people need
link with God. Because the dead individual knows nothing. Because their unique human identity has been cast off. And their soul and it's spiritual cord that connected the person in the flesh to Creator,is returned to God.

God is God of the living because in this human condition we need God.When the dead are within ,returned to,God.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God's realm is that of life, not death.
There is one whose realm is death and it is not God.

Hebrews 2:14
We are people of flesh and blood. This is why Jesus became one of us. He died to destroy the devil, who had power over death

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's realm is that of life, not death.
There is one whose realm is death and it is not God.

Hebrews 2:14
We are people of flesh and blood. This is why Jesus became one of us. He died to destroy the devil, who had power over death
Thus death is destroyed when the devil and sin cease..

Reactions: The Learner