What do Calvinists believe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I said, they have some faulty passions, but they are passionate about not sinning too. I've never heard that quote about Copeland. If it wouldn't be too much trouble could you tell me where you heard that. I'd like to hear him say it himself.
Yes . i will do my best to find it my dear sister .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After preaching the Gospel, Spurgeon urged ALL his hearers to repent and be converted. Assuming he was sincere (which appears to be the case) he expected all to believe and turn to Christ for salvation.

So the Calvinistic view that you have to be saved first in order to repent was not what Spurgeon taught. Good. Then do you think he believed in free will?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have spurgeon books and you don't know he was a 5 point calvinist ?

You really are clueless aren't you ?

Do you have a reading comprehension disability ?

“It is no novelty, then, that I am preaching; no new doctrine. I love to proclaim these strong old doctrines, that are called by nickname Calvinism, but which are surely and verily the revealed truth of God as it is in Christ Jesus.” —Charles Spurgeon

I think you are jealous and fearful. That is why bullies bully. I have a real relationship with God that you won't even let yourself want.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your quotes relate to the AUTHOR of salvation but do not relate to things that ACCOMPANY salvation, so I refer you back to my quote with the applicable activities highlighted in red.

Rom 13:11-14 And do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. (12) The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. (13) Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. (14) But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.

Also note:

Heb 6:9
But, beloved, we are confident of better things concerning you, yes, things that accompany salvation, though we speak in this manner.

They get so caught up in their misunderstanding of what works Paul was always referring to, and claiming believers have no responsibilities at all after salvation that they call the requirement to avoid living a sinful life, a work.

Since when is NOT doing something, like not living a sinful life as a believer, a work?

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For those that criticize Calvinism, do you have perfect doctrine?
I'll admit, there's much I don't agree with in their Confessions (Westminster, Belgic etc.), but I'm not going to pretend my doctrine is squeaky clean.

Calvinism is a heinous doctrine, a gross insult to Gods character and nature.

Under 5 point Calvinism, God decrees every single thing that happens, making Him the father of lies and the author of sin.

God decreed Lucifer to fall and become the lying, deceptive, roaring lion looking ti steal, kill and destroy.

God commanded Adam not to eat the fruit, then decreed that he would eat it, then punished mankind for the sin that He made Adam commit.

God decreed that man would fall and need saved, then decreed that He would withhold salvation from most of mankind - by withholding the regeneration that would allow them to believe - then decreed He will damn them for unbelief.

Jesus said few will enter through the narrow gate to life, and most would enter the wide gate to destruction- thus the non elect that are predestined to destruction, and even arbitrarily hated by God, are the vast majority of mankind.

This means all the souls burning in torment in the lake of fire forever, are there because the God of Calvinism decreed them to be there, from the founding of the world, for no reason other than He felt like creating them to be damned.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you are jealous and fearful. That is why bullies bully. I have a real relationship with God that you won't even let yourself want.
No you make accusations against Calvinists when you have no idea what Calvin even taught. That’s your ignorance on church history.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God decreed Lucifer to fall and become the lying, deceptive, roaring lion looking ti steal, kill and destroy.

God commanded Adam not to eat the fruit, then decreed that he would eat it, then punished mankind for the sin that He made Adam commit.

God decreed that man would fall and need saved, then decreed that He would withhold salvation from most of mankind - by withholding the regeneration that would allow them to believe - then decreed He will damn them for unbelief.
This all gets into their interdenominational debate between Infralapsarianism and Supralapsarianism and I agree, it goes beyond Scripture (violating their stance on Sola Scriptura) and running into deep speculation.
But then of course Arminians have their crazy beliefs too.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well his sermons certainly give that impression.

Well, good. Maybe I'll read them then. When I found out what Calvinists believed and that he was Calvinist, they've been gathering dust. I even thought of selling them.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No you make accusations against Calvinists when you have no idea what Calvin even taught. That’s your ignorance on church history.

It doesn't matter what he actually taught back then. It is what it has evolved to that is demonic. Besides, he was a murderer, so it may have always been. It certainly is not of the Holy Spirit.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn't matter what he actually taught back then. It is what it has evolved to that is demonic. Besides, he was a murderer, so it may have always been. It certainly is not of the Holy Spirit.
Moses and David were murders so disregard their teachings as well .

And you better throw away/burn all of your Charles Haddon Spurgeon books.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You have spurgeon books and you don't know he was a 5 point calvinist ?
As indeed he was.

“It is no novelty, then, that I am preaching; no new doctrine. I love to proclaim these strong old doctrines, that are called by nickname Calvinism, but which are surely and verily the revealed truth of God as it is in Christ Jesus.” —Charles Spurgeon
Good quote.

Reactions: ChristisGod

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We know Calvinists believe in Pre-destination and most of them believe in Cessationism, but are there any other Calvinist beliefs/doctrines that differentiate from other Christian denominations? What denominations are under Calvinism? I think Presbyterians are one of them, but I believe there are more denominations under Calvinist theology

And who was John Calvin? Why did he start a new movement of Calvinism? Did he purposely start it? Or did Christians just happen to follow him and it became what is now known as Calvinism?

The main thing that Calvinists believe is that they are right.

Reactions: Josho