What do Calvinists believe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only problem is that there are hundreds of thousands of Spirit-filled non-Charismatics. The meaning of "Spirit-filled" has been perverted. Jesus of Nazareth was Spirit-filled 100% of the time 24/7. But the only language He spoke was Aramaic (the spoken language of Israel at that time).

Yes, there are. But they do have gifts, but they just don't give God the credit for their abilities. Charismatics do.

I've met two Cessationists who were Spirit-filled, and gifted. One was Church of Christ, and the other was Seventh-day Adventist.

As far as speaking in tongues. Jesus certainly didn't have to to pray God's perfect will. I rarely speak in tongues because I too can hear God's voice of what to pray that is His perfect will.

Last edited:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Curtis,

Augustine said, "Love God, and do as you please." That sounded like the hyper OSAS of grace being a license to sin, so I disliked Augustine too, and thought it sounded very Calvinistic also.

But then I looked into the full quote and found that my first impression was completely wrong about this quote of Augustine's. (I don't know what else he taught so am not an expert on Augustine). The quote actually means, Love God and do as your Spirit-filled born again nature would now naturally do, which is righteousness. I also experienced becoming born again with an entirely new nature from the one I had the day before, and no longer had any desire to sin. It "pleases" me to do righteousness. That is my new nature, and I can hear God's voice and know He abides inside me. That was the same message that Augustine actually said. He seemed to know that Jesus frees us from sin, not just from the penalty of sinning.

Calvinists I've heard believe they will always sin and never be free from sin until after they die and are resurrected. (But by that time it will be too late.) Martin Luther seemed to believe the same thing about sin. I don't know who invented the heretical saying of Jesus cleanses our "past (true), PRESENT AND FUTURE (false) sins". But it sounds like Luther when he said, "even if we were to commit murder and adultery 1000 times a day, it would not separate us from God."

I’ve been trying to point that out, also.

Scripture says old sins, and past sins are forgiven at salvation, and future sins must be repented of, to be forgiven.

Hyper grace says there’s no need to repent after salvation, because all sins are forgiven when saved - but Jesus never got that memo - He warned four out of seven churches in Revelation, to repent.

Reactions: CharismaticLady

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve been trying to point that out, also.

Scripture says old sins, and past sins are forgiven at salvation, and future sins must be repented of, to be forgiven.

Hyper grace says there’s no need to repent after salvation, because all sins are forgiven when saved - but Jesus never got that memo - He warned four out of seven churches in Revelation, to repent.

What did you think of what I found out about Augustine?

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only problem is that there are hundreds of thousands of Spirit-filled non-Charismatics. The meaning of "Spirit-filled" has been perverted. Jesus of Nazareth was Spirit-filled 100% of the time 24/7. But the only language He spoke was Aramaic (the spoken language of Israel at that time).

Everyone saved receives the Holy Spirit, but that’s not the same as being filled with the spirit.

Since Pentecost, being filled with the spirit generally only comes when a spirit-filled believer lays hands on them, and the evidence of being filled is speaking in tongues:

Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:

Act 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Act 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Act 8:18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

Act 8:19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.

The way Simon could tell they received the Holy Ghost was their speaking in tongues:

And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Act 19:7 And all the men were about twelve.

Reactions: Pathfinder7

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m sorry, but since I hate Calvinism, I can’t warm up to the father of Calvinism.

Shalom

From what I know of Calvinism, I cannot see Augustine's influence. Not when he exhibited great insight to the born again nature that Calvinism is blind to. What did Augustine teach that actually agrees with Calvinism that I can research?

So far, you may have to ask for Augustine's forgiveness. LOL

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Everyone saved receives the Holy Spirit, but that’s not the same as being filled with the spirit.
I didn't say it was. What I said was the the meaning of "Spirit-filled" has been perverted by the Charismatics. Are you denying that non-Charismatics are also Spirit-filled.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't say it was. What I said was the the meaning of "Spirit-filled" has been perverted by the Charismatics. Are you denying that non-Charismatics are also Spirit-filled.

I am telling you that the biblical evidence of being filled with the HS, is always speaking in tongues.

In Acts 10, those Peter were preaching to began speaking in tongues, and Peter heard, and said, can anyone forbid water to those who have received the Holy Spirit, as did we?

Act 10:44 While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word.

Act 10:45 And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles.

Act 10:46 For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared,

Act 10:47 “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?”

What happened when Peter and the apostles received the Holy Spirit at Pentecost?

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Sorry, all I can do is point to the fact that biblically, the evidence of being filled with the HS, instead of just having a measure of the HS, is speaking in tongues.

Shalom Aleichem

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am telling you that the biblical evidence of being filled with the HS, is always speaking in tongues.
If that is true, then neither John the Baptist nor the Lord Jesus Christ were Spirit-filled. And that is total BALONEY.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, there are. But they do have gifts, but they just don't give God the credit for their abilities. Charismatics do.

I've met two Cessationists who were Spirit-filled, and gifted. One was Church of Christ, and the other was Seventh-day Adventist.

As far as speaking in tongues. Jesus certainly didn't have to to pray God's perfect will. I rarely speak in tongues because I too can hear God's voice of what to pray that is His perfect will.
Oh so God speaks audibly to you like He did with Abraham and Moses ?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He's inside me, and I hear Him in my mind loud and clearly. And everything He told me to pray I receive immediately. Why would he need to speak outside of me?
How do you know its God speaking ?

Can you elaborate with a couple of examples ?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you know its God speaking ?

Can you elaborate with a couple of examples ?

I have hundreds. For 44 years the first thing He taught me was to wait and listen and only pray what He told me. I do, and I receive100% of what I pray. I never pray my wants. He already knows what I need and He'll tell me when He wants to provide it through prayer.

I've already given many examples to those wanting testimonies to rejoice over. But not to Pharisees with a hidden agenda to persecute.

Last edited:

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Calvinism believes that once people have been saved by God, those people cannot lose their salvation through any act of their own. This belief is based on a belief in the complete sovereignty of God. If God has chosen something or someone, no mere mortal has the power to thwart that choice.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Calvinism believes that once people have been saved by God, those people cannot lose their salvation through any act of their own. This belief is based on a belief in the complete sovereignty of God.
That is only one part of that belief. The other parts are (1) the fulness of salvation offered by God, and (2) the perfection of the finished work of Christ. Here is what is stated in the Westminster Confession of Faith:

CHAPTER 11
Of Justification

1. Those whom God effectually calleth, he also freely justifieth: not by infusing righteousness into them, but by pardoning their sins, and by accounting and accepting their persons as righteous; not for anything wrought in them, or done by them, but for Christ's sake alone; nor by imputing faith itself, the act of believing, or any other evangelical obedience to them, as their righteousness; but by imputing the obedience and satisfaction of Christ unto them, they receiving and resting on him and his righteousness, by faith; which faith they have not of themselves, it is the gift of God.

2. Faith, thus receiving and resting on Christ and his righteousness, is the alone instrument of justification: yet is it not alone in the person justified, but is ever accompanied with all other saving graces, and is no dead faith, but worketh by love.

3. Christ, by his obedience and death, did fully discharge the debt of all those that are thus justified, and did make a proper, real, and full satisfaction to his Father's justice in their behalf. Yet, inasmuch as he was given by the Father for them; and his obedience and satisfaction accepted in their stead; and both, freely, not for anything in them; their justification is only of free grace; that both the exact justice and rich grace of God might be glorified in the justification of sinners.

4. God did, from all eternity, decree to justify all the elect, and Christ did, in the fullness of time, die for their sins, and rise again for their justification: nevertheless, they are not justified, until the Holy Spirit doth, in due time, actually apply Christ unto them.

5. God doth continue to forgive the sins of those that are justified; and, although they can never fall from the state of justification, yet they may, by their sins, fall under God's fatherly displeasure, and not have the light of his countenance restored unto them, until they humble themselves, confess their sins, beg pardon, and renew their faith and repentance.

6. The justification of believers under the old testament was, in all these respects, one and the same with the justification of believers under the new testament.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Calvinism believes that once people have been saved by God, those people cannot lose their salvation through any act of their own. This belief is based on a belief in the complete sovereignty of God. If God has chosen something or someone, no mere mortal has the power to thwart that choice.

Are you Calvinist? If so, please answer what Calvinism believes stops a Christian from sinning? And if a Christian continues to sin, what makes them think they were chosen?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is only one part of that belief. The other parts are (1) the fulness of salvation offered by God, and (2) the perfection of the finished work of Christ. Here is what is stated in the Westminster Confession of Faith:

CHAPTER 11
Of Justification

1. Those whom God effectually calleth, he also freely justifieth: not by infusing righteousness into them, but by pardoning their sins, and by accounting and accepting their persons as righteous; not for anything wrought in them, or done by them, but for Christ's sake alone; nor by imputing faith itself, the act of believing, or any other evangelical obedience to them, as their righteousness; but by imputing the obedience and satisfaction of Christ unto them, they receiving and resting on him and his righteousness, by faith; which faith they have not of themselves, it is the gift of God.

2. Faith, thus receiving and resting on Christ and his righteousness, is the alone instrument of justification: yet is it not alone in the person justified, but is ever accompanied with all other saving graces, and is no dead faith, but worketh by love.

3. Christ, by his obedience and death, did fully discharge the debt of all those that are thus justified, and did make a proper, real, and full satisfaction to his Father's justice in their behalf. Yet, inasmuch as he was given by the Father for them; and his obedience and satisfaction accepted in their stead; and both, freely, not for anything in them; their justification is only of free grace; that both the exact justice and rich grace of God might be glorified in the justification of sinners.

4. God did, from all eternity, decree to justify all the elect, and Christ did, in the fullness of time, die for their sins, and rise again for their justification: nevertheless, they are not justified, until the Holy Spirit doth, in due time, actually apply Christ unto them.

5. God doth continue to forgive the sins of those that are justified; and, although they can never fall from the state of justification, yet they may, by their sins, fall under God's fatherly displeasure, and not have the light of his countenance restored unto them, until they humble themselves, confess their sins, beg pardon, and renew their faith and repentance.

6. The justification of believers under the old testament was, in all these respects, one and the same with the justification of believers under the new testament.

I goggled Westminster Confession of Faith. Is this only used by Presbyterians, or what other denominations? Are Presbyterians Calvinists?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We know Calvinists believe in Pre-destination and most of them believe in Cessationism, but are there any other Calvinist beliefs/doctrines that differentiate from other Christian denominations? What denominations are under Calvinism? I think Presbyterians are one of them, but I believe there are more denominations under Calvinist theology

And who was John Calvin? Why did he start a new movement of Calvinism? Did he purposely start it? Or did Christians just happen to follow him and it became what is now known as Calvinism?

To teh first part.

Calvinists are most known for their belief in whatr is called by the acronym TULIP

1. Total depravity- man is as bad off as he can be. All are totally lost.
2. Unconditional election. A person has to do nothing (no works) to come to Christ for salvation.
3. Limited Atonement. Jesus died for the sins of all, but only the elect receive th ebenefit of His atonement.
4. Irresistible grace- The elect are drawn to Christ as declared in the gospel of John. Man in his sinful state will not come to Christ.
5. Perseverance of the saints. Once saved one is eternally secure.

I am not a Calvinist by denomination. But these are strong biblical points that Calvin preached and men came to believe. I believe Calvinism grew form the followers during the instability of the Inquisitions, Catholic counters reformation, reformation, and the new ability for all to read scripture for themself.

Reactions: Josho

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I goggled Westminster Confession of Faith. Is this only used by Presbyterians, or what other denominations? Are Presbyterians Calvinists?
Yes. The Westminster Confession of Faith is the "Statement of Faith" for both Presbyterians, Free Presbyterians, and Reformed Churches (very similar but distinct, and primarily Dutch) and they are all Calvinistic. Some Presbyterians today are rank liberals.

The Lutherans do not subscribe to this Confession, and The Anglicans have their own Thirty Nine Articles of Faith, but the English Puritans were Calvinistic Anglicans and rejected the Anglican position. There are also Calvinistic Baptists who are not really "Reformed" or "Presbyterian", but like to think of themselves as "Reformed Baptists". C.H. Spurgeon was a Calvinistic Baptist but his preaching was very similar to non-Calvinistic Baptists.

During the Reformation, Calvinism and Zwinglism (very similar) extended from France, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Bohemia, and Poland all the way to Russia. But Lutheranism extended from Germany to Scandinavia. However Spain and Italy remained staunchly Catholic.

Reactions: CharismaticLady

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ROFL No they are not. In fact, I would love to sit down with them and teach them what name it and claim it means. Among other things. I do not believe Jesus went to hell and there was born again. That was a new one for me, as I don't listen to either of them, just hearsay. But their hearts are good, so I think they would be receptive. They certainly wouldn't have to change their whole way of thinking to get in line with the truth as some people would in completely false doctrines. At least they are not Cessationists.
Their hearts are not good . They GOD is MONEY . Kenneth himself has said , I HAD to TELL GOD TO MOVE HIS SON OUT OF MY WAY
SO I COULD GET THE JOB DONE . THEY are charlatons . SO is cessastionism . Its false too .
But we had all better watch out . cause nar , the prosperity gospel , they all infected real bad as well . As is the emergent and many others .
The lump is sin bruised and oozes out much pus and rotted gangren chancors . Christendom , no matter the denomination
has been infected real bad sister . But they GONNA ALL UNIFY under the FAKE UNITY MOVE . Which the harlot leads in .
Mama is calling all her children home . Dont expect to see me in that gathering . Let us stick to those bibles and learn that doctrine well .

Reactions: Marvelloustime