What do women want most?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LightTheWay

Oct 29, 2014
Guam
Is there anything in the bible that we can learn on what women want most?
In class we read the wife of bath by Chaucer and the wife of bath says that women want sovereignty over their husbands most. This made me think of how God said that wives submit to their husbands and what happens when we disobey this.. I feel that as humans we want love. But Males and females operate differently. So what do women want most?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LightTheWay said:
Is there anything in the bible that we can learn on what women want most?
In class we read the wife of bath by Chaucer and the wife of bath says that women want sovereignty over their husbands most. This made me think of how God said that wives submit to their husbands and what happens when we disobey this.. I feel that as humans we want love. But Males and females operate differently. So what do women want most?
Interesting about the book you read...

Two biblical concepts can be brought fourth regarding your question. First off from Genesis 3:16

To the woman He said, "I will greatly multiply Your pain in childbirth, In pain you will bring forth children; Yet your desire will be for your husband, And he will rule over you."

This is where God curses Eve in the garden. The word desire could be better translated "want dominance over". Women want to rule over the men because they are cursed as such. This seems to be what "The Wife of Bath" is talking about from your description.

Then we have Ephesians 5:35
Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must see to it that she respects her husband.

Here men are instructed to love their wives. It seems women need to know they are loved, whereas men need to know they are respected.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
I think that is true, justaname. The Holy Spirit tells us that our wives want love by telling us men, to love them. And the love they want is a pure love such as Christ loving the church. Not a "divided heart", love. "Love your wives as Christ loves the Church". It is not a love that takes advantage of them or defrauds them for this would not be love at all. In my own marriage, I can say that my wife also wants a friend and wants to be known and I think that this is only an extension or product of Christ's love being manifested. True love is love that lifts others up and is interested in them and seeks not its own, but the best interests of the other.

The love of Christ is a love that already conveys respect isn't it? Because Christ's love does not violate our will or our person in any way, whatsoever. Satan violates our will, but Christ does not. Thus, with the love of Christ, we must love our wives. So, it is interesting that the Holy Spirit calls men to love their wives and wives to respect their husbands. It is like saying, "husbands love your wives and wives, love your husbands". because men interpret respect for love and yet women interpret love for respect. But, the Holy Spirit knows how to speak to men and women, doesn't He? Contrary to the world's way of thinking, men and women actually are different.

My wife has told me often that she feels respected when I love her. And interestingly, I feel love when she respects me. Funny, isn't it? To be a true friend to your wife and vice-versa and not just "roommates", both must truly love and respect, each other. This, we learn from the Spirit of God and how He loves us.

Axehead

Reactions: LightTheWay

jerseygirl

Dec 30, 2014
DFW TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To: LightTheWay, Almost without exception, women I've known strongly desire a man that she can respect, love and look to for wisdom & guidance (especially Christian woman). I believe the thing all woman desire above all else is to be loved. Axehead got it right!

As for the comment by justaname, that the word desire "could be better translated 'want dominance over'", I didn't see that as I looked it up. As per commentaries via biblehub.com, on Genesis 3:16, the words thy desire "thy turning or inclination" to the will of man. Because Eve chose to follow the serpent without the consent of Adam or even to seek the council of her husband, her punishment would be to be put in submission to his will as that was what was lacking in her choice to follow Satan. It goes as far as to say that woman would from that point on seek and desire the will of her husband.

As a side note, I often find that some men tend to concentrate very much of the subjugation of women to themselves as per biblical teachings. Although I believe that we, as women, are to be under the will of our Christian husbands, I find that the command for the husband to love his wife "as Christ loved the church" is often not applied equally by these same men. It seems some men focus more on lordship over their wives and focus less on just how sacrificially Jesus loved His bride. He gave Grace to undeserving man, and He didn't come to be served but to serve! Matthew 20:28. Above all, He gave His life for His love, putting her above Himself. (I imagine our Lord washing the feet of His disciples… how God Himself served His creation in such a humble act!) Praise God!

A Christian marriage comes together beautifully when both man and wife understand their God given roles in the relationship. A man does not need to verbalize his dominance over his wife if he loves her in the way Christ loved His bride. A women who is loved by her husband will respect him and look to him for leadership in the marriage the way it is spoken in Genesis 3:16.

Lastly, as per Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, "In Christ the whole penalty, as St. Paul teaches, has been abrogated (Galatians 3:28), and the Christian woman is no more inferior to the man than is the Gentile to the Jew, or the bondman to the free."

Axehead

May 9, 2012
And Christian women want their man to love God with all their heart and be a godly loving husband and father.

jerseygirl

Dec 30, 2014
DFW TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Axehead,

agreed. It is a beautiful thing when both man and woman embrace their position in marriage as God intended.

Peace and Blessings to you all.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is taken from the new american commentary...

Although sexual “desire” conforms to v. 15, better is the explanation suggested by Gen 4:7b, where “desire” and “rule” [māšal] are found again in tandem: “It desires to have you, but you must master [māšal] it.” In chap. 4 “sin” is like an animal that when stirred up will assault Cain; it “desires” to overcome Cain, but the challenge God puts to Cain is to exercise “rule” or “mastery” over that unruly desire. If we are to take the lexical and structural similarities as intentional, we must read the verses in concert. This recommends that 3:16b also describes a struggle for mastery between the sexes. The “desire” of the woman is her attempt to control her husband, but she will fail because God has ordained that the man exercise his leadership function. The force of the defeat is obscured somewhat by the rendering “and he will rule”; the conjunction is better understood as “but he will rule.” The directive for “rule” is not given to the man, for that has already been given and is assumed (2:15, 18); rather, the issue of “rule” is found in God’s directive toward the woman, who must succumb by divine edict. Thus the Lord affirms in the oracles of judgment the creation order: the serpent is subjected to the woman, the woman to the man, and all to the Lord. “In those moments of life’s greatest blessing—marriage and children—the woman would serve most clearly the painful consequences of her rebellion from God.”

This is taken from the NET Bible First Edition Notes...

48 tn Heb “and toward your husband [will be] your desire.” The nominal sentence does not have a verb; a future verb must be supplied, because the focus of the oracle is on the future struggle. The precise meaning of the noun תְּשׁוּקָה (téshuqah, “desire”) is debated. Many interpreters conclude that it refers to sexual desire here, because the subject of the passage is the relationship between a wife and her husband, and because the word is used in a romantic sense in Song 7:11 HT (7:10 ET). However, this interpretation makes little sense in Gen 3:16. First, it does not fit well with the assertion “he will dominate you.” Second, it implies that sexual desire was not part of the original creation, even though the man and the woman were told to multiply. And third, it ignores the usage of the word in Gen 4:7 where it refers to sin’s desire to control and dominate Cain. (Even in Song of Songs it carries the basic idea of “control,” for it describes the young man’s desire to “have his way sexually” with the young woman.) In Gen 3:16 the Lord announces a struggle, a conflict between the man and the woman. She will desire to control him, but he will dominate her instead. This interpretation also fits the tone of the passage, which is a judgment oracle. See further Susan T. Foh, “What is the Woman’s Desire?” WTJ 37 (1975): 376-83.

jerseygirl

Dec 30, 2014
DFW TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessings,

There are obviously varying interpretations on this text and I'm not a hebrew (or any other original biblical language) expert. I was answering the question based on my experience as a woman but also the experience of over 40 years of being a woman and speaking to other women about this exact topic. What does a woman truly want? I have seen cases where a woman seems to want to dominate the marriage, but in those cases… there was an unhealthy relationship in the case of the husband. I am NOT trying to rationalize the behavior of those women btw. I am saying though, I'm my experience, that if a woman is loved in the ways the bible says she should be… she is pleased to let her husband lead the way. I stand by what I said above in terms of the Christian woman.. but I obviously cannot answer for all. The thing a woman desires most, is to be loved and when she is, she becomes willing to "follow" her husband. If a husband is not providing for his wife's emotional needs, I could see the relationship become out of balance. I believe that the ultimate responsibility for a healthy Christian marriage is on the husbands willingness to love and provide for his wife. After all, you are stating that the husband is the leader and as such, must lead in the relationship. It cannot be had both ways.. the husband cannot have domain over his wife, yet at the same time not provide for her. (He obviously could, but it would become a very unsuccessful marriage).

One other interesting point. God's original intention regarding marriage was always supposed to be one man/one woman. Yet, throughout the OT, it was so common for men to take on multiple wives and God tolerated it. We might want to spend some time on why men defiled the law of marriage.

Genesis 2:24 24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

14 “When you come to the land that the Lord your God is giving you, and you possess it and dwell in it and then say, z‘I will set a king over me, like all the nations that are around me,’ 15 you may indeed set a king over you awhom the Lord your God will choose. Onebfrom among your brothers you shall set as king over you. You may not put a foreigner over you, who is not your brother. 16 Only he must not acquire many chorses for himself or cause the people dto return to Egypt in order to acquire many horses, since the Lord has said to you, e‘You shall never return that way again.’ 17 And he fshall not acquire many wives for himself, lest his heart turn away, gnor shall he acquire for himself excessive silver and gold

2 Therefore xan overseer1 must be above reproach, ythe husband of one wife,2 zsober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, ahospitable, bable to teach,

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i agree with all the comments i read but i question whether they are most important. everyone posts good points but the thing i find funny is that no one that i noticed stated that women wanted/needed a closer relationship with God. why do we seem to always forget about God? because to me the most important thing would be having the closest possible relationship with God as Jesus had. whether we consider that possible or not is not the point. what is the point is that it is a goal to reach for.

God bless

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am the boss in my house because my wife said so. Might be a bit cryptic for some.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
LightTheWay said:
What do women want most?
To be like a man but not actually be a man whilst being looked after like they not the man so that they can have a life the man wants and the life they want.

There are two types of woman. Saved and unsaved. All the unsaved are consumed with pride and selfishness. What don't they want? A saved woman wants to please God most / She wants to honor God and obey scripture teaching her to stand by her man. I guess that would involve her really wanting a God-fearing man that does lead the household down the right path. I also guess an argument could be made for babies. I believe all woman want babies.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
LightTheWay said:
.. I feel that as humans we want love. But Males and females operate differently. So what do women want most?
jrzpjt.jpg