What do you think about circumcision?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I would not call it uncouth, as nothing that God mandated is uncouth. However, it is not required. It was a sign of the covenant between Abraham and God just as baptism is a sign of dying to oneself and rising to a new life in Christ. It signified putting off of the flesh. We know that flesh and blood does not inherit the Kingdom of God, and needless to say, all flesh is sinful (being in Adam) as opposed to life in the Spirit. Although the promise to Abraham was to have many physical children, nations, kings, richness and might, it by extension is a kingdom that looks forward to that country that is heavenly as Paul taught.These promises weren't to just any earthly kingdom as it now is, but an ultimate heavenly one, and therefore putting off the flesh as only those born of the Spirit will inherit the Kingdom of God.As for the practice itself, there is the old school of medical thought that the male was marginally healthier without so many diseases and they are more appealing (that's opinion). I tend to side with the old medical school of thought because they were not as radical like today where they spread dangerous myths about salt, cholesterol and other things that really aren't dangerous to one's health so that they can push drugs. So, I don't give them much credence about their circumcision opinions, either. Clearly, it's not dangerous because God would not have allowed a thing like that if it was.

blessed1195

Nov 9, 2007
Circumcision was a blood ritual nailed to the cross with Christ. It is now a spiritual circumcision,of the heart and mind, for both males and females.The act of Male circumcision is now done only for cleanliness by Christians.Blood ordinances, as required by the Old Testament, were eliminated with the crucifixion of Christ. He was the sacrifice for one and all times. Here's what GOD has to say about it in the KJV:Colossians 2:11: "In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: 12: Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. 13: And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14: Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I agree 100% with Blessed and Tim here Biblical they are exactly right.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Now for a little tid bit that may or may not be true just something to store in our minds for a future time just in caseIt is said in some ancient Hebrew writings that one of the things Antichrist (however they dont call him that)will do as that part of his miracles and wondrous things is that he will uncircumcised the Jews. Now this could be a spiritual thing that was misinterpreted to apply physically We can not be sure it wasn't part of scripture so we cant apply the same importance or rules to it. But it interesting that undoing any circumcisions whether of heart(spirit) or of flesh is the opposite of Christ, as antichrist will be.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Christina;64496)
I agree 100% with Blessed and Tim here Biblical they are exactly right.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Now for a little tid bit that may or may not be true just something to store in our minds for a future time just in caseIt is said in some ancient Hebrew writings that one of the things Antichrist (however they dont call him that)will do as that part of his miracles and wondrous things is that he will uncircumcised the Jews. Now this could be a spiritual thing that was misinterpreted to apply physically We can not be sure it wasn't part of scripture so we cant apply the same importance or rules to it. But it interesting that undoing any circumcisions whether of heart(spirit) or of flesh is the opposite of Christ, as antichrist will be.
Very interesting post, but may I tad give you my thoughts to consider... I don't think it's going to be a physical uncircumcision. Here's why.I Corinthians 7:18 - Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Now for a little tid bit that may or may not be true just something to store in our minds for a future time just in caseIt is said in some ancient Hebrew writings that one of the things Antichrist (however they dont call him that)will do as that part of his miracles and wondrous things is that he will uncircumcised the Jews.
Yikes!!!!
biggrin.gif

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(tim_from_pa;64503)
Yikes!!!!
biggrin.gif

Well lets hope this was speaking spiritually I cant even imagine how this would be confirmed
smile.gif

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(Christina;64505)
Well lets hope this was speaking spiritually I cant even imagine how this would be confirmed
smile.gif

Yes, and I'm not even going to ask (or check)!!!

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
There is nothing immoral about it, but it is a choice and is believed to cut down on disease and increase cleanliness.

epistemaniac

Aug 13, 2008
Romans 2:26-29 (ESV) So, if a man who is uncircumcised keeps the precepts of the law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? 27 Then he who is physically uncircumcised but keeps the law will condemn you who have the written code and circumcision but break the law. 28 For no one is a Jew who is merely one outwardly, nor is circumcision outward and physical. 29 But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter. His praise is not from man but from God."

tarmack09

Nov 16, 2008
It is very very barbaric, Infact its not needed at all. All thats needed is taking a shower 2 times a day, if you are concered with hygeine! Also helping your fellow brothers and sisters take a bath and shower. It is infact a Jewish Tradition that continues till this day.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(tarmack09;64681)
It is very very barbaric, Infact its not needed at all. All thats needed is taking a shower 2 times a day, if you are concered with hygeine! Also helping your fellow brothers and sisters take a bath and shower. It is infact a Jewish Tradition that continues till this day.
Well Christianity came from the Jewish sect, and the bible says the remnant of Judah (today's Jews) does not recognize Christ and are going to preserve the law, as they are under the law... So Circumcision is not exactly immoral... Not even wrong to do so... but it's not required as we are saved by grace and not of works. (Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 11:6)

chrissy

Nov 26, 2008
Genesis 17:9 "And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations. This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised. And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you. And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed." Genesis 17:14 " And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant." Not just Abraham but throughout generations. Even so the stranger. I believe Abraham was Hebrew in regards of it being something jewish recognized. Genesis 14:13 " And there came one that escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; ..."

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Gen. 21:4, which says,4 Then Abraham circumcised his son Isaac when he was eight days old, as God had commanded him. The act of circumcision signifies the cutting away of “the flesh,” our great enemy, so that we might walk by the Spirit of God. Gal. 5:17 says, 17 For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. Romans 8:6-8 says, 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God. The sign of the Old Covenant is fleshly circumcision, as instituted first by Abraham in Gen. 17:11. The sign of the New Covenant is the circumcision of the heart. This heart circumcision was first mentioned as far back as Moses, who said in Deut. 30:6, 6 Moreover the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, in order that you may live [have immortality]. Moses viewed this heart circumcision as being something that God Himself would have to do in us. No man can circumcise his own heart. For this reason, it is associated with the New Covenant, because it is something that God does in us, rather than something that man does by his own works or self-discipline. And so we see that the Bible sets forth Ishmael and Isaac as allegories of two covenants, two different ways of attaining righteousness, with two different inheritances. Those who follow the path of Ishmael--regardless of who they are or what race they are--are of the Old Covenant. Those who follow the path of Isaac are of the New Covenant. Although this is not a racial statement as such, history shows that the physical descendants of Ishmael have come into a religion called Islam, which by its very name signifies obedience and thus perfectly describes the Old Covenant. But in Galatians 4, Paul also identifies the earthly city of Jerusalem with Hagar, and her "children" with the adherents of Judaism. Judaism has bound itself to the Old Covenant and refuses to accept the New Covenant. Thus, in that legal sense, the Jews are "Ishmael," because they consider their "mother" to be Jerusalem (Hagar). The Old Covenant is incapable of bringing forth the sons of God, and so neither Islam nor Judaism is able to obtain the inheritance of the sons of God. Their inheritances are earthly and have more to do with physical land (real estate), rather than the glorified body, which is the greatest "land" inheritance. Logabe

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Circumcision was also done on the eighth day, dating back to its institution with Abraham prior to Isaac's birth. Genesis 17:12 says,12 And every male among you who is eight days old shall be circumcised throughout your generations, a servant who is born in the house or who is bought with money from any foreigner, who is not of your descendants.On the eighth day Joseph and Mary brought Jesus to the temple for circumcision and to register His name officially. Luke 2:21 says,21 And when eight days were completed before His circumcision, His name was then called Jesus, the name given by the angel before He was conceived in the womb.The sons were named on the eighth day (officially) when their births were registered in the temple's genealogy books. These records were important, because they legally established the names of those under the covenant. It was a dim picture of the book of life, because it was supposed to record the names of those who had faith in God and were obedient to His law. Of course, this goal failed rather miserably. Nonetheless, it forms an imperfect pattern of a more perfect book of life, which is written in heaven, and which is totally accurate. This book is referenced not only in Revelation 20:12, but also by Moses himself in Exodus 32:32.All of this lays down a principle of divine law that establishes the appointed times for the naming of the sons and the circumcision of the heart. The overcomers, or the barley company, will have their heart circumcised on the eighth day of Tabernacles. The Church--that is, the wheat company--will have their heart circumcised after the seventh millennium, that is, at the beginning of the eighth thousand-year period of history. The grape company of nations will have their hearts circumcised in the fiftieth millennium, which is the great Creation Jubilee. The fiftieth year is also an eighth year, because it follows the 49th year sabbath rest. For this reason, all of creation awaits the manifestation of the sons of God (the overcomers first, followed by the Church later). When they see these manifestations, they will know that there is hope for them as well.In the same manner, we today have hope, knowing that Jesus Christ was raised from the dead and was manifested in glory. The fact that He overcame death establishes the same hope for those who believe in Him.The divine law also tells us that all the firstborn of every domestic beast was to be given to God. Exodus 22:29 and 30 says,29 You shall not delay the offering from your harvest and your vintage. The first-born of your sons you shall give to Me. 30 You shall do the same with your oxen and with your sheep. It shall be with its mother seven days; on the eighth day you shall give it to Me.It was unlawful to present the firstborn to God on any other day than the eighth day. This is a very important law that establishes the appointed times. We are not to do things our way, but God's way. He set it up to show us the timing of the manifestation of the sons of God mentioned in Romans 8:19. For thousands of years men have attempted to become righteous enough and holy enough to experience this manifestation of His glory. Some attempted to do so under the anointing of Passover in the Old Testament. Others attempted it in the years following the fulfillment of Pentecost. Men became monks and hermits and separated themselves from society in order to contemplate God and attempt to become perfected under anointings that fell short of Tabernacles.Logabe

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
I think everything that needs to be said about this topic has been said.Tom Webster

Status
Not open for further replies.