What does it mean, man was made in the Image of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1:27
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Is mankind immortal, all powerful, all knowing, self-existing, present throughout the universe, No. So what attributes did man received when he was created? God is omnipotent, omniscient with other attributes which man does not have, and never did have. Now these characteristics only are of God, even though man was made in God's image. When man was created, he was made in the image of God in outward resemblance and in character, which would include what we consider able to discern, to know good from bad.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good question. I think the easiest way for us to understand it is that we are called "children of God" when we love God as our Father, recognize Him as such, and behave in such a way that it pleases Him. That requires that we be conscious of this role.

Furthermore, to be "created in God's image" means that we can act in a way befitting of Him as a good God. We can put on His kindly characteristics, generating acts of charity, and able to show compassion and understanding, along with mercy.

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1:27
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Is mankind immortal, all powerful, all knowing, self-existing, present throughout the universe, No. So what attributes did man received when he was created? God is omnipotent, omniscient with other attributes which man does not have, and never did have. Now these characteristics only are of God, even though man was made in God's image. When man was created, he was made in the image of God in outward resemblance and in character, which would include what we consider able to discern, to know good from bad.
Man was created in Gods image …but unfortunately, due to sin, we were not.

God is spirit (Jhn 4:24) …..spirit has no form. Therefore, the image and likeness (which is a figure of speech hendiadys = two words employed, but only one thing meant.) that Adam and Ish-shaw' (Eve after the fall) were created with… was spirit.

And what died on "the day" that Adam messed up …was spirit or the spirit connection.

Gen 5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
Gen 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
Gen 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

It took Jesus Christ to redeem us. And through His accomplishments which God accepted on our behalf. The day of Pentecost opened the door to regain that spirit permanently by accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good question. I think the easiest way for us to understand it is that we are called "children of God" when we love God as our Father, recognize Him as such, and behave in such a way that it pleases Him. That requires that we be conscious of this role.

Furthermore, to be "created in God's image" means that we can act in a way befitting of Him as a good God. We can put on His kindly characteristics, generating acts of charity, and able to show compassion and understanding, along with mercy.
Very true, and we would still be if not for sin coming in to the world..

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man was created in Gods image …but unfortunately, due to sin, we were not.

God is spirit (Jhn 4:24) …..spirit has no form. Therefore, the image and likeness (which is a figure of speech hendiadys = two words employed, but only one thing meant.) that Adam and Ish-shaw' (Eve after the fall) were created with… was spirit.

And what died on "the day" that Adam messed up …was spirit or the spirit connection.

Gen 5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
Gen 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
Gen 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

It took Jesus Christ to redeem us. And through His accomplishments which God accepted on our behalf. The day of Pentecost opened the door to regain that spirit permanently by accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord.
Adam was created before any sin got into the world as we see..
Genesis 3:6-11
6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
8 And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden.
9 And the Lord God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?