What Does It Mean to be Dead in Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acknowledging our salvation as a new creature in Christ and Spirit-filled is hardly a boast of oneself, but a boast in the Lord regarding our salvation.

Okay. But let us move past the elemental things and on to a good running of our race and a grabbing for that very thing we ourselves have been grabbed for.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay. But let us move past the elemental things and on to a good running of our race and a grabbing for that very thing we ourselves have been grabbed for.

Since Paul warned believers against seeking to be filled again spiritually, we run by being rooted in scripture for our edification, and by trusting Jesus as our Good Shepherd to finish His work in us in helping us NOT to sow to the works of the flesh to avoid corruption, but to the fruits of the Spirit.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Colossians 2:5 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. 6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: 7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:....11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who do you think is preaching another Jesus...?
The op is building men up in their trust and spurring them on to honesty about their lack and their compromise with the world.

It's a race of trust. We all stumble many times in our trust and we all bring dishonor to our Lord in many ways we aren't even aware of yet because of leaven. It isn't necessary to warn against a man who is speaking well about the way.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For Jesusisfaithful...

I'm wondering what this statement means..

"Since Paul warned believers against seeking to be filled again spiritually,"

OH NO!!
My friend you have now just de-railed your thread.
a3150ac41bd3333687ba8209f7184eff.jpg

His pet peeve is a vendetta against any who dare to say that they received the baptism of the Holy Spirit after salvation. He is against-
"Have you received since you believed." Acts 19.
He is against speaking in tongues as a prayer and intersession language.

He threw out his hook, and it hooked you!! I saw him slip that line in...and hoped it would slip by unnoticed.
He's a really nice guy...but is totally blind in this area.
If you wish to discuss it with him...he already has two threads devoted it "against tongues" ...forgotten what they are called now.

....Helen

Reactions: Episkopos

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OH NO!!
My friend you have now just de-railed your thread.
View attachment 3704

His pet peeve is a vendetta against any who dare to say that they received the baptism of the Holy Spirit after salvation. He is against-
"Have you received since you believed." Acts 19.
He is against speaking in tongues as a prayer and intersession language.

He threw out his hook, and it hooked you!! I saw him slip that line in...and hoped it would slip by unnoticed.
He's a really nice guy...but is totally blind in this area.
If you wish to discuss it with him...he already has two threads devoted it "against tongues" ...forgotten what they are called now.

....Helen

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD my rock and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

Reactions: Episkopos and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

This is fulfilled whenever a sinner comes to & believes in Jesus Christ. Once they are saved, they are Spirit-filled and shall hunger nor thirst any more.

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Despising our life in NOT being like Lot's wife, preps us for the Bridegroom to take us Home when He comes.
We will never hunger again because we are eating His Body and drinking His blood. Do we stop reading the Bible and talking to God and listening to God after we have repented that first time and begun to serve Him? Remember this parable?

"When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.
Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.
Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation." Matt 12:43-45

His problem was that after repenting so that all of the garbage was cleaned out he left himself empty of the things of God. That new inner man would be continuously hungry and thirsty for the righteousness of God. But what he did was return to his old ways of filling the emptiness again with garbage worse than before. Like Lot's wife he looked back with longing at that which used to fill him instead of looking to Jesus so as to eat His flesh [read scripture] and to drink His Blood [so as to bring that flesh of Jesus quickened within Him].

If you my friend look forward to reading your Bible and talking and listening God and worshipping Him, is that not what prevents you from receiving those "seven other spirits more wicked" in you ?

When we are able to eat His flesh and drink His blood the quickening within us is then Life. The death in Christ is necessary to make room [sweeping and garnishing] for Him by throwing out the garbage and the avoidance of partaking of that junk food eating any more. Christ cannot abide in us if we are eating only garbage continuously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We will never hunger again because we are eating His Body and drinking His blood. Do we stop reading the Bible and talking to God and listening to God after we have repented that first time and begun to serve Him? Remember this parable?

"When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.
Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.
Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation." Matt 12:43-45

His problem was that after repenting so that all of the garbage was cleaned out he left himself empty of the things of God. That new inner man would be continuously hungry and thirsty for the righteousness of God. But what he did was return to his old ways of filling the emptiness again with garbage worse than before. Like Lot's wife he looked back with longing at that which used to fill him instead of looking to Jesus so as to eat His flesh [read scripture] and to drink His Blood [so as to bring that flesh of Jesus quickened within Him].

If you my friend look forward to reading your Bible and talking and listening God and worshipping Him, is that not what prevents you from receiving those "seven other spirits more wicked" in you ?

When we are able to eat His flesh and drink His blood the quickening within us is then Life. The death in Christ is necessary to make room [sweeping and garnishing] for Him by throwing out the garbage and the avoidance of partaking of that junk food eating any more. Christ cannot abide in us if we are eating only garbage continuously.

Matthew 12:43 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. 44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. 45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

It is one thing for Philip to cast out unclean spirits from people from which he got fans in following him around before being water baptized by him, but did not had the baptism of the Holy Spirit yet at their salvation because it was the way they believed and that was in the "things" Philip was preaching about rather than believing in Him personally.

It is from that event I point out that He can cast out unclean spirits, but until they believe in Him to be saved, those unclean spirits could come back for why they find it "empty".

Matthew 12:43-45 is about unclean spirit being cast out of unbelievers and they remain unbelievers for why those unclean spirits come back to find it empty. No unclean spirit can find a saved believer as empty with the Holy Spirit in them BUT they can suffer a thief to break through if they believe the lie that they can receive the Holy Spirit again apart from salvation after a sign of tongues.

So when filled with the Spirit, as promised in John 6:35, due to the prophesy in Matthew 5:6, no saved believer should be seeking to fill themselves up with the Spirit when being Spirit-filled is a testimony that we are saved when we had first come to & believed in Jesus Christ at the calling of the gospel. Anything else is just denying the truth in His words for what always Spirit-filled means.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 12:43 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. 44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. 45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

It is one thing for Philip to cast out unclean spirits from people from which he got fans in following him around before being water baptized by him, but did not had the baptism of the Holy Spirit yet at their salvation because it was the way they believed and that was in the "things" Philip was preaching about rather than believing in Him personally.

It is from that event I point out that He can cast out unclean spirits, but until they believe in Him to be saved, those unclean spirits could come back for why they find it "empty".

Matthew 12:43-45 is about unclean spirit being cast out of unbelievers and they remain unbelievers for why those unclean spirits come back to find it empty. No unclean spirit can find a saved believer as empty with the Holy Spirit in them BUT they can suffer a thief to break through if they believe the lie that they can receive the Holy Spirit again apart from salvation after a sign of tongues.

So when filled with the Spirit, as promised in John 6:35, due to the prophesy in Matthew 5:6, no saved believer should be seeking to fill themselves up with the Spirit when being Spirit-filled is a testimony that we are saved when we had first come to & believed in Jesus Christ at the calling of the gospel. Anything else is just denying the truth in His words for what always Spirit-filled means.
It is as I have said. You have decided what you believe is right and that no one else can be right when it conflicts with what you have decided. You advise me to pray according to your prescription but you refuse to even seriously consider any other way. How many people will you cause to stumble over your roadblock to glory?

"And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.
And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us. Luke 9:49-50

Reactions: Episkopos and Helen

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When a person enters into Christ...or should I say...AS a person enters into Christ...they die. The part of us that was in control of opinions and ways of thinking...is crucified...in order to make room for the life and Headship of Christ in the person.

So we could say... I am dead in Christ...or..IN Christ I am dead. And this in order to be alive IN Christ. These go together or not at all.

So then both are automatic to entering into Christ...both our death and His life. We can't both be in headship at the same time....we and the Lord.

Now many don't understand this process, since they see this from a religious doctrinal point of view but not according to experience. These will teach things that sound like they may be right...it even "sounds" biblical, but in fact the statements are so vague that they can mean anything, really.

The truth is very radical...so radical that most people won't accept it...even believers (in the modern sense of that word).

In HIM is no sin.

Do you need victory over sin? Enter into Him. When one enters into Him one has an instantaneous victory over all sin...just as Jesus walked so now IN Him we also walk. The same victory. He is our victory and our perfection.

What people teach normally is that we won't have any full victory over sin in this life...until we physically die. But that is contrary to the gospel. NOW is the time to enter into Christ...not after we physically die. How can we bear a holy fruit after we have departed this world? We are to bear an eternal and holy fruit TODAY through Christ our Lord and Saviour.

As we enter into Him...and each time we do so...we enter into our own death (disconnection from the POWER of the flesh that normally controls a man who is living outside of Christ) . We become disconnected (dead) within ourselves to the part of us that is controlled by the outward body of sin.

Most of us live outside of actual abiding in Christ. We follow from a certain distance...like the Israelites in the wilderness. Some of us are led by the Spirit....even as we remain the one who makes the moment by moment decisions.

But the testimony of the bible is far beyond that level. The proper response to the message of the gospel is to surrender to the power of God (grace).

In this way we pass from being under the control of the body of sin...to the direct control of Jesus Christ through the Spirit. Then we can say from there that we are "walking in the Spirit".

The walk in the Spirit is ALWAYS without any spot or wrinkle of sin. Now, a person can be led by the Spirit and still sin...but not when one abides IN Him.

The eternal life is IN His Son.

1 John 5:11
11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

Where is this life found?
IN His Son.

We are to live these lives we have...through Him.

1 John 4:9 By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him.

When we abide in Him we live our lives through Him...doing as He did...walking as He walked. It is really Christ in us walking when we are in Him. We have a full victory over sin IN Him. That is how we know we are in Him.

Last edited:
Reactions: faithfulness