What does it mean to become "His Workmanship"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:8-10)

Most use the first two verses of this passage to describe their faith while ignoring the third. What does it take to become "His workmanship"? Is this an automatic result of our salvation, or do we have an active role in this, one of submitting to His work in us?

My point is this, I see a lot of believers walking in sin, and not in good works, more so now than ever before.

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (2 Timothy 3:1-5)

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe just as Christ Jesus is the work of God so too must we be the work of Christ.

He chose to do only the will of the Father in obedience unto suffering.
We too must choose this same obedience, diminishing ourselves while he increases.
Does it hurt to deny self and the flesh, you bet, for our hearts are deceitful above all else and hold our treasures.

It must become no longer about US but rather be about HIM and the life we live IN HIM!

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:8-10)

Most use the first two verses of this passage to describe their faith while ignoring the third. What does it take to become "His workmanship"? Is this an automatic result of our salvation, or do we have an active role in this, one of submitting to His work in us?

My point is this, I see a lot of believers walking in sin, and not in good works, more so now than ever before.

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (2 Timothy 3:1-5)
. Chapter 5 tells us we are one with Christ and that he will nurture us. But before that he tells us that We are called to walk in love and that if we walk in darkness we will not partake of the kingdom of heaven.

Ephesians 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
Ephesians 5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
Ephesians 5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
Ephesians 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
Ephesians 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
Ephesians 5:7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.
Ephesians 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

Reactions: David H.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it take to become "His workmanship"?
Precious friend, the actual Wording Is:

"For we Are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works,​
which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." (Eph 2:10)​
Q: Are All [ the 'righteous' ] going to be "faithful, walking in good works"?
we are one with Christ and that he will nurture us. But before that he tells us that We are called to walk in love and that if we walk in darkness we will not partake of the kingdom of heaven.
Precious friend, yes, we are One With Christ, and that is God's Eternal Relationship With us, as:

"Giving thanks unto the Father, Which hath made us meet to be partakers of the​
inheritance of the saints in light: Who Hath Delivered us from the power of darkness,
and Hath Translated us Into the kingdom of His Dear SON: In Whom we Have​
Redemption Through His Blood, even the Forgiveness of sins" (Col 1:12-14)​

Now, on the other [ Entirely Different matter at ] hand, yes, we are All "called into
fellowship with His SON" (1Co 1:9-10)

Again, we kindly ask: Are All [ 'righteous' Eternal saints ] going to be "faithful, walking in good works,"
in this fellowship? What Saith The Scriptures to the divided / carnal (1) Corinthian saints (1:2; 3:1),
about the "fornicator' in their assembly?:

"To deliver such an [ 'righteous' ] one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh,​
that the spirit may Be Saved In The [ Judgment? ] Day of The Lord Jesus." (5:5):​
+
1 Corinthians 3:8-15 [ The Judgment Day! ], ending with:​
"...If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall​
receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer
loss: but he himself Shall Be Saved; yet so as by fire."​

Thus, nullifying the misuse/misinterpretation of:

"Know ye not that the UNrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God?​
Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate,​
nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards,​
nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.​
And such were some of you: but ye Are Washed, but ye Are Sanctified, but ye Are
Justified In The Name of The Lord Jesus, and By The Spirit of our God." (1Co 6:9-11)​

Why do some insist that we can somehow Undo What God Has Eternally Done?

Instead of judging [ bad works ] our weaker brethren, would not this be Much Greater
[ good works ] to admonish (2 Thessalonians 3:13-15), and Encourage them?:

"For The Grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,​
Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live​
soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world" (Titus 2:11-12)​

Amen.

Further 'Relationship vs fellowship' study:

Three Tenses Of God's Eternal Salvation!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it take to become "His workmanship"? Is this an automatic result of our salvation, or do we have an active role in this, one of submitting to His work in us?
It means that when we are recreated in regeneration, God did it, and not we ourselves.

After that, we have admonitions such as, work out your salvation with fear and trembling, because God is working in you to both will and do what pleases Him.

In this passage,

Ephesians 2:8-10 KJV
8) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9) Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10) For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

We are not saved by our works, in fact, we are God's workmanship. He created us to do good works, planned out ahead, that we should do them continually.

And yes, we are to cooperate with this, but not by frustrating the grace of God.

Much love!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It means that when we are recreated in regeneration, God did it, and not we ourselves.

After that, we have admonitions such as, work out your salvation with fear and trembling, because God is working in you to both will and do what pleases Him.
I Agree with this in large part, what I do not agree with, is that this work of God in us is automatic, but can be resisted by the believer, and conversely received by (Submitting to the will of God for us). I think (My opinion), is that much of the church has this idea it is automatic ingrained in their theology rather than understanding our responsibility in this Work of God in us. I Think this is the very reason why the church as a whole is largely powerless, and "while having a form of godliness are denying the power thereof". This being a prophesied event.... "In the last days".... "Love of many waxing cold". Much of the church preaches self love nowadays, not self sacrifice and denial.
We are not saved by our works, in fact, we are God's workmanship. He created us to do good works, planned out ahead, that we should do them continually.

And yes, we are to cooperate with this, but not by frustrating the grace of God.
Expand on this "cooperation" as this is what I am trying to get at.... I Believe this is where the problem lies.... I don't deny this is all God's work in us, but man gets in the way of this happening.... we are in a sense resisting God's work in us and therefore the fruit is not there. What causes this resistance? Is it doctrinal or just our hard hearts?
I believe it means we are His creations and in Christ we are new creations.
I Agree, without Christ Jesus we are nothing. Read the Above comments to see where this is going.
Precious friend, the actual Wording Is:

"For we Are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works,which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." (Eph 2:10)Q: Are All [ the 'righteous' ] going to be "faithful, walking in good works"?
The question you pose is the intent of this post.... There is a doctrine that says we have no responsibility after our salvation to do anything. What I believe is that we have responsibility to allow God to work in us, and that we can resist and thwart this in numerous ways. Consider that this was prophesied for the last days as a problem.... the church having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof. My response question is, why are the righteous not walking in good works, but rather falling victim to self aggrandizement and self love? Something is missing in the church.... the pattern should be the opposite.

I believe just as Christ Jesus is the work of God so too must we be the work of Christ.

He chose to do only the will of the Father in obedience unto suffering.
We too must choose this same obedience, diminishing ourselves while he increases.
Does it hurt to deny self and the flesh, you bet, for our hearts are deceitful above all else and hold our treasures.

It must become no longer about US but rather be about HIM and the life we live IN HIM!
Wonderfully said.... The churches I grew up in this was the norm of their understanding, this has been watered down or even nullified doctrinally for fear of the accusation of works.... How and when did we lose sight of this and what caused us to hide our light under a basket? Seems like the transformative part of the Gospel is being lost.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I Agree with this in large part, what I do not agree with, is that this work of God in us is automatic, but can be resisted by the believer, and conversely received by (Submitting to the will of God for us). I think (My opinion), is that much of the church has this idea it is automatic ingrained in their theology rather than understanding our responsibility in this Work of God in us. I Think this is the very reason why the church as a whole is largely powerless, and "while having a form of godliness are denying the power thereof". This being a prophesied event.... "In the last days".... "Love of many waxing cold". Much of the church preaches self love nowadays, not self sacrifice and denial.
Philippians 2:12-13 KJV
12) Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13) For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Ergon and Katergadzomai

God is working in us because not only do we lack the ability to do what pleases Him, our chooser itself is broken, and so God is working in us to both will and to do what pleases Him.

Until God gives me the ability to choose rightly, I cannot, simply stated. In rebirth itself, I believe God gives us a good measure of this repair right away, so we can immediately begin a new life.

But once God has given me that ability to choose righty, in this thing, whatever it may be, I am admonished to work out what He's worked into me. He changes me, and I am to do as a changed man does.

If I for whatever reason allow that old pattern to resurface (I think many of us go through seasons of dealing with things, then putting them off, then having to deal with them again), that is my failing to work out - do the performing of - those things He's work in - transforming me. OR, it's just seeing the process play out as He transforms me. How do I tell the difference? So we are not to judge ourselves, and simply allow God to take the lead. Personally I find the best life doesn't include all that much thought concerning myself. Better to be thinking of higher things than me!

As far as the state of the church, I've long seen a difference between nominal and true Christians, those in name only, and the regenerate. I don't judge the church by the appearance of christendom, as Sir Robert Anderson would call it. The unconverted "church". But the congregation I fellowship with is not like that. And there are many many the same.

Expand on this "cooperation" as this is what I am trying to get at.... I Believe this is where the problem lies.... I don't deny this is all God's work in us, but man gets in the way of this happening.... we are in a sense resisting God's work in us and therefore the fruit is not there. What causes this resistance? Is it doctrinal or just our hard hearts?
In the sense that I described above. My heart longs for holiness more than anything in all creation. I await His timing, as He has reasons for what He does and doesn't do. I've seen an amazing range of how He works, I don't have any preconceived notions of what or how He may do next, I only know He continues to faithfully build me up. If your heart is not toward the Lord, and if you have not yet come to trust His heart for you, then this cooperation is difficult.

When my life is torn apart, If I haven't internalized His love for me, and His control over my life, how do I not get moved by my circumstances?

So to answer your question, I think what causes the resistance is that we haven't come to realize the depth of His love for us, and how involved He is in every aspect of our lives. I think God's intent for us is that we have the real experience of His love all the time, communion with Him that will be unique in each of us, and lives filled with loving fruitful works of joyful service.

We have to come to know Him more, trust Him implicitly, to know the security of His love that overwhelms anything that is against us, even ourselves. You know, I'm sure, I'm my own worst enemy?

Much love!

Last edited: