What does it mean to fear God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(tomwebster;60110)
Most often when the word "fear" is used in connection to God in Scripture it is best translated as "revere."
"Fear" is English. It is not Greek or Hebrew. The translators have already translated the Greek or Hebrew word so you don't have to. The translators of the various Bible versions think "fear" is the correct translation, rather than "revere", for phobos (that's Greek), in relation to God in scripture.
There is absolutely no reason to fear God if you have accepted Christ as your Savior and Lord.
When Moses said he feared God's anger and displeasure, did he just mean that he revered God's anger and displeasure? Or, was Moses just too ignorant of Greek and Hebrew to know he had no reason to fear? Please tell. Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. What would the converse of that statement be? What do you think I think the converse of that statement is?Fear is the opposite of foolishness, so more fear equals more wisdom. How do you think reverence leads to wisdom?You say believers shouldn't fear God. Unbelievers say exactly the same thing.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(Follower;60114)
"Fear" is English. It is not Greek or Hebrew. The translators have already translated the Greek or Hebrew word so you don't have to. The translators of the various Bible versions think "fear" is the correct translation, rather than "revere", for phobos (that's Greek), in relation to God in scripture. ....
Yes, fear is an English word.You can rely on your translator if YOU want. I stand with what I said.
...Unbelievers say exactly the same thing.
And they will pay the price for their foolishness.
When Moses said he feared God's anger and displeasure, did he just mean that he revered God's anger and displeasure? Or, was Moses just too ignorant of Greek and Hebrew to know he had no reason to fear? Please tell.
I don't believe Moses had the chance back then to accepted Christ as his Savior and Lord.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
Remember we are in the Dispensation of Grace, he was in the Dispensation of Law.If you want to fear God you may, I revere Him.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
tomwebster;60118]You can rely on your translator if YOU want. I stand with what I said.[quote]I don said:
And they will pay the price for their foolishness.
Unfortunately' date=' no fool thinks he's a fool. [quote']I don't believe Moses had the chance back then to accepted Christ as his Savior and Lord.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
Remember we are in the Dispensation of Grace, he was in the Dispensation of Law.[/quote]Is it your claim that Moses went Hell? Or, maybe it's your claim that Jesus isn't the only way to Heaven? (Would that be what you call the "Dispensation of Law", the way people got to Heaven Before Christ?) Moses knew Jesus because he knew God (see, the two are one).Do you think Jesus is a fool, considering that he spent a lot of time trying to scare people with Hell? "I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him." Do you doubt the people Jesus was speaking to had an opportunity to accept Jesus? Do you think Jesus was winking at you when he said that? Or, maybe you think Jesus is saying "Do not revere those who kill the body... revere him who has the power to throw you into hell." I'm done with this thread, unless someone has something wise to say.

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
(tomwebster;60112)
The discussion here has been about "fearing God," and it has been backed up by using the Bible, an English Bible likely. But the Scriptures were written in Hebrew, Chaldee, and Greek, not English. If one really wants to study Scripture with understanding, it might be beneficial to have some knowledge of the languages of the Scripture which again are Hebrew, Chaldee, and Greek. If one does not have the ability, time, etc to learn these languages they should at least have the tools to get into them.
What I am about to say has nothing to do with the fear topic, I am simply reffering to the latter part of your post:I tell the same thing to everyone that makes comments like this one. The King James Bible was translated by around 50 translators who were all skilled and fluent in all those languages. They were scholars and experts, and were thus acknowledged by the King as people worthy of such a task. How do you, who probably could not even carry on a full converstaion in each of those languages, think that you can translate it better than those 50 scholars? Thats what gets me about people that try to go and learn a few greek words so they can "correct" the Bible in English.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(SoldierforChrist;60129)
(tomwebster;60112)
The discussion here has been about "fearing God," and it has been backed up by using the Bible, an English Bible likely. But the Scriptures were written in Hebrew, Chaldee, and Greek, not English. If one really wants to study Scripture with understanding, it might be beneficial to have some knowledge of the languages of the Scripture which again are Hebrew, Chaldee, and Greek. If one does not have the ability, time, etc to learn these languages they should at least have the tools to get into them.
What I am about to say has nothing to do with the fear topic, I am simply reffering to the latter part of your post:I tell the same thing to everyone that makes comments like this one. The King James Bible was translated by around 50 translators who were all skilled and fluent in all those languages. They were scholars and experts, and were thus acknowledged by the King as people worthy of such a task. How do you, who probably could not even carry on a full converstaion in each of those languages, think that you can translate it better than those 50 scholars? Thats what gets me about people that try to go and learn a few greek words so they can "correct" the Bible in English.I love the KJV. Although it is the best translation for the English people, at the same time it's not perfect. So it doesn't bother me at all, that humans makes mistakes... on accident.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
SoldierforChrist,Have you ever read the "letter to the reader" written by the translators of the KJV Bible? Do you own a good Strong's Concordance? Follower, Your last comments are just plain ignorant.

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
Jordan and TomWebster. You are both missing my point. My point is, do either of you believe you can do a better job translating than those 52 scholars could? They could speak, write, and think in those languages. They were completely fluent. Do you not think that they would know how to translate the words better than you two?

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(SoldierforChrist;60137)
Jordan and TomWebster. You are both missing my point. My point is, do either of you believe you can do a better job translating than those 52 scholars could? They could speak, write, and think in those languages. They were completely fluent. Do you not think that they would know how to translate the words better than you two?
Have you ever read the "letter to the reader" written by the translators of the KJV Bible?

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
(tomwebster;60138)
Have you ever read the "letter to the reader" written by the translators of the KJV Bible?
Are you talking about the letter in the front of the KJV? Yes I have.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(SoldierforChrist;60141)
Are you talking about the letter in the front of the KJV? Yes I have.
Yes the 1611 KJV

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Also soldier, have you heard of Christian David Ginsburg and his work on the Massorah? Do you know when it was completed? What do you know about "Structure" in Scripture?

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
(tomwebster;60144)
Also soldier, have you heard of Christian David Ginsburg and his work on the Massorah? Do you know when it was completed? What do you know about "Structure" in Scripture?
No I haven't heard of him nor the Massorah... What about the structure of the scripture? Alot of times I know what you guys are talking about but not the actual terms you use. Explain or define what you mean by structure of the scripture please.Thanks

dkm

Oct 3, 2008
Dear Sasha,I can tell you what it means to me to live a Godfearing life. For me it is the same as living a life as a disciple of Jesus. If we follow His footsteps we can be sure we are living a Godfearing life. As Jesus obeyed His Father, so should we do. As Jesus took up His cross every day and judged the sin in His flesh, so should we do. An we can do it, exactly because of Jesus' work here on earth, He opened a way for us to follow Him, to become His disciples, so that He can be the first brother among many of us. So, in a few words it means to me to have the faith that God is mighty to do a glorious work in myself so that I can take up my cross every day and follow Him. Then I really can partake of divine nature and can partake of His virtues in this earthly life and be a disciple of Jesus! I can tell you, I have this faith and this is making me very happy in this life!(Sasha;58906)
What does it mean when it says to fear God? ,I know its not the fear that satan tries to place in our lives. Because I know God is not waiting for me to do something wrong just so He can strike me down. Is it just coming to a place to where you finally realize how powerful, and mighty, and gloriouse God is? God has given so many promised to those who fear Him. It is the begining of knowledg. So, can someone explain, or help me understand what and how to fear God? Please! I believe this is very important for a christian to be able to grow in their relationship with Our Heavenly Father.Thank you.

Sasha

Jul 27, 2008
Thanks everyone for your responses, how wonderful. Thank you dkm for yours also. God bless.

iWrecknSow

Oct 26, 2008
(tim_from_pa;60051)
Whenever I read the OT, fearing God is in the context of keeping His Commandments. In the NT, love is the fulfillment of the Law, as one who loves (and this is God's love by His Spirit, not man's) fulfills the Law and will naturally emulate it.
Hello Tim from Penn.About the old testament and the fear of the Lord, i have found the same things you did.DEUT. 6 [1] Now THESE ARE THE COMMANDMENTS, the statutes, and the judgments, which the Lord your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it: [2] THAT THOU MIGHTEST FEAR THE LORD THY GOD, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son's son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged. PSALM 111 [10] The FEAR OF THE LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding HAVE ALL THEY THAT DO HIS COMMANDMENTS: his praise endureth for ever.PROVERBS 1 [7] THE FEAR OF THE LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. [8] My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and FORSAKE NOT THE LAW of thy mother:[9] For they shall be an ornament of GRACE unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.Heres a great scripture. Forsake not the law. Fear the Lord, get wisdom and receive His grace. Hmmm... ive heard the "many" say the grace thing was only new testament. Anyways, in the new testament ive found that the love thing also brings up those same commandments.1JOHN 5 [2] By this WE KNOW THAT WE LOVE THE CHILDREN OF GOD, when we love God, and keep his commandments. [3] For THIS IS THE LOVE OF GOD, THAT WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS: and his commandments are not grievous.2JOHN1 [5] And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that WE LOVE ONE ANOTHER.[6] And THIS IS LOVE, THAT WE WALK AFTER HIS COMMANDMENTS. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.JAMES 2 [8] If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF, ye do well: [9] But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.[10] For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.[11] For he that said, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, said also, DO NOT KILL. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.Kinda makes me wonder. Is Jesus the same yesterday, today and forever.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
iWrecknSow,Welcome to the forum. A better translation of the word "fear" is "revere." "...THAT THOU MIGHTEST revere THE LORD THY GOD"

iWrecknSow

Oct 26, 2008
(tomwebster;63225)
iWrecknSow,Welcome to the forum. A better translation of the word "fear" is "revere." "...THAT THOU MIGHTEST revere THE LORD THY GOD"
I Reckon so