What does it mean to fear God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sasha

Jul 27, 2008
What does it mean when it says to fear God? I know its not the fear that satan tries to place in our lives. Because I know God is not waiting for me to do something wrong just so He can strike me down. Is it just coming to a place to where you finally realize how powerful, and mighty, and gloriouse God is? God has given so many promised to those who fear Him. It is the begining of knowledg. So, can someone explain, or help me understand what and how to fear God? Please! I believe this is very important for a christian to be able to grow in their relationship with Our Heavenly Father.Thank you.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Sasha;58906)
What does it mean when it says to fear God? I know its not the fear that satan tries to place in our lives. Because I know God is not waiting for me to do something wrong just so He can strike me down. Is it just coming to a place to where you finally realize how powerful, and mighty, and gloriouse God is? God has given so many promised to those who fear Him. It is the begining of knowledg. So, can someone explain, or help me understand what and how to fear God? Please! I believe this is very important for a christian to be able to grow in their relationship with Our Heavenly Father.Thank you.
Fear is often better translated as reverance. As in respect Him. Obviously God does not give us a sprit of fear (afraid) as you said. (II Timothy 1:7)So in short we should fear (reverance / respect) God.I hope that helps dear Sasha.Love you.

johnchao

Jun 27, 2007
(Sasha;58906)
Very good question, Sasha!The Bible says: to read aloud the book of the law of GOD is to teach people to fear the LORD (Deut31:9-13), for the law is the name of the LORD (Deut28:58). To obey the word of GOD spoken by the prophet Haggai is to fear the LORD (Hag1:12), for the word is GOD (Jn1:1-2).The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom (Pr9:10); wisdom is truth (Pr23:23), and truth is the word of GOD (2Co4:1-2). The fear of the LORD is the fountain of life (Pr14:27), for the LORD is the fountain of life (Jer17:13).Blessings!

jtartar

Mar 14, 2008
(Sasha;58906)
Sasha, The kind of fear that God wants a person to have is the one that you had of your father, especially when you were very young. You loved your father very much and you did not want to displease him. You were not morbidly fearful of your dad, but you recognized that he was the authority figure, and you did not want hurt his feelings, Pr 27:11.

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
Fearing the Lord simply means to respect, obey, and honor him. Living your life every day in the fear of the Lord means that you should pay close attention to what you do, and make sure that it pleses the Lord. Obedience is what he wants, and if you truly fear him, the you will obey him. You need a Godly fear in your life as a christian so that you will "walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise. Reedeming the time for the days are evil."

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
Philippians 2:12b "Continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling."Trembling isn't something I think of as reflecting respect (but, where there is fear, there is respect). Mt 14:26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear. Same word (phobos, phobia), but I don't think the Disciples were crying out in respect.Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom. If you understand that God has the power to send you to Heaven or Hell, you ought to be worried about offending him, and so you'll wise up.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Follower;59922)
Philippians 2:12b "Continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling."Trembling isn't something I think of as reflecting respect (but, where there is fear, there is respect). Mt 14:26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear. Same word (phobos, phobia), but I don't think the Disciples were crying out in respect.Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom. If you understand that God has the power to send you to Heaven or Hell, you ought to be worried about offending him, and so you'll wise up.
I dont completley agree there are times when fear means afraid/terrified but phobos has a second meaning 1) fear, dread, terrora) that which strikes terror2) reverence for one's husbandAnd if you are in sin you should be afraid thus fear is the begining However a believer is not to fear but to revere if you worship him believe upon him you are to reverance your Father as above all he wants your love and one does not love what he fears but that which he Reveres

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(Christina;59930)
I dont completley agree there are times when fear means afraid/terrified but phobos has a second meaning 1) fear, dread, terrora) that which strikes terror2) reverence for one's husband
I don't think phobos ever means "reverence" in the Bible (in spite of how it is sometimes translated in some verses unrelated to God). But, even if that is another meaning for phobos, the context rules out that definition in various verses regarding phobos of God, including Philippians 2:12b. We are to work out our salvation if phobos and trembling. Trembling is a symptom of fear, not reverence. All the translations agree.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Follower;59931)
(Christina;59930)
I dont completley agree there are times when fear means afraid/terrified but phobos has a second meaning 1) fear, dread, terrora) that which strikes terror2) reverence for one's husband...
I don't think phobos ever means "reverence" in the Bible (in spite of how it is sometimes translated in some verses unrelated to God). But, even if that is another meaning for phobos, the context rules out that definition in various verses regarding phobos of God, including Philippians 2:12b. We are to work out our salvation if phobos and trembling. Trembling is a symptom of fear, not reverence. All the translations agree.If we go to God with trembling and fear, where is the Love? Does not scripture says that perfect love casteth out fear? (I John 4:18) and another saying that God does not give anyone a spirit of fear? (II Timothy 1:7)Translators are humans like us and make mistakes. And we look at the Hebrew and Greek words for deeper study. We rely on God...not the translation.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Follower;59931)
I don't think phobos ever means "reverence" in the Bible
Now that is simply an opinion that is not true although obviously in some verse's its obviously fear in others about God it could just as easy be revere and in others its obviously used that way you want to believe you can not tremble with utter reverance fine however that is only an opinion. I say again you do not love what you fear and if you are walking in the way of Christ you have no reason to fear I think that atttitude of you must fear God is a tatic that drives many from the Lord. There is a time for fear and a time for Reverance............And because the word is always translated the same makes no sense what so ever .... the word eye is always translated eye but it can mean a body part, part of a needle,a center hole, ect. the fact its the same word with more than one meaning doesnt mean you only can use one meaning.

Sasha

Jul 27, 2008
(Christina;59935)
the word eye is always translated eye but it can mean a body part, part of a needle,a center hole, ect. the fact its the same word with more than one meaning doesnt mean you only can use one meaning.
This is why I had asked the question, I know we were not given a spirit of fear. So, it had to mean something more. Everyones commints has helped me, thank you all so much. I do see now, looking back at my walk with my Lord, how my fear of Him seemed to be greater then what it has been. I certainly hope and pray I haven't lost that fear of him, or..........um..........I don't know what I'm trying to say. My walk with My Jesus is far more deeper then it had ever been before. He has tought me so much and brought me so far from where I was. Praise the Lord!!! His joy and love are so wonderful. To walk in complete freedom, that's how God wants us to live our lives everyday. I hadn't ever experieced that until 4 1/2 years ago. It is beautiful to find Gods freedom in this life.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(Jordan;59932)
If we go to God with trembling and fear, where is the Love? Does not scripture says that perfect love casteth out fear? (I John 4:18) and another saying that God does not give anyone a spirit of fear? (II Timothy 1:7)
2Tim1:7 does not use the word phobos, and "fear" probably isn't the best translation. God does not give us the spirit of timidity or cowardice.Love displaces fear. The problem here is that our love, while in this world, is not perfect. Fear is the concern with imperfection. If fear is the beginning of wisdom, when wisdom is made perfect then fear is no longer needed.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(Christina;59935)
Now that is simply an opinion that is not true although obviously in some verse's its obviously fear in others about God it could just as easy be revere and in others its obviously used that way you want to believe you can not tremble with utter reverance fine however that is only an opinion.
We know beyond dispute that phobos can mean fear. If we are to accept that phobos can mean something other than fear, we need a reason to believe that. I don't see that reason. Even if phobos can mean something other than fear, we need a reason to accept that meaning in a particular place. When the Bible says to fear God, I do not see that reason. If it said "reverence without fear" that would be one thing, but it says "fear and trembling." Maybe in some way that I have never experienced, trembling may result from reverence, but that would be a most horrible writing style to to use the word phobos in such a confusing manner. It's as if I wrote "with sadness and crying" but the reader is suppose to interpret that as "so happy I cried." It's a contrivance unjustified by the text to meet a non-biblical prejudice. Jesus spent a lot of time teaching people to fear God. Jesus, more than anyone, used imagery of torment in Hell.
I say again you do not love what you fear and if you are walking in the way of Christ you have no reason to fear I think that atttitude of you must fear God is a tatic that drives many from the Lord. There is a time for fear and a time for Reverance.
Is your love perfect? Do you think Jesus was using a tactic that drives many away from the Lord?I don't think the modern fear-free form of Christianity has advanced the Kingdom of God. We can live as we wish and still be saved has made Christianity non-relevant -- declining church attendance and even the modern Christian lifestyle reflect this.
And because the word is always translated the same makes no sense what so ever ....
You don't think putting weight on an unanimous expert consensus makes sense? I reached my conclusion even before I knew what the expert consensus is.It seems to me that the translation of "reverence" is an attempt to soften the biblical language. These days, it's very Politically Incorrect to consider fear to ever be a virtue. "Phobos" is used as an insult, as in "homophobe". A person would do good to fear God more than man.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Revere is to worship with awe and trembling not wanting to displease or disappoint him to above all want to please the object one reveres the fear then becomes a fear you will fail him or let him down. The Word litterly can mean both fear and/or Revere Think of ones own Father (parents) We Revere our earthly flesh Father(parents) but also fear him/them if we break the houehold rules.We fear we will disappoint our parents. It is simular with God but 100 times fold because our soul is at stake.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Follower;59944)
(Jordan;59932)
If we go to God with trembling and fear, where is the Love? Does not scripture says that perfect love casteth out fear? (I John 4:18) and another saying that God does not give anyone a spirit of fear? (II Timothy 1:7)
2Tim1:7 does not use the word phobos, and "fear" probably isn't the best translation. God does not give us the spirit of timidity or cowardice.Love displaces fear. The problem here is that our love, while in this world, is not perfect. Fear is the concern with imperfection. If fear is the beginning of wisdom, when wisdom is made perfect then fear is no longer needed.Do you mean that Love removes fear? There is no fear in God. In fact we shouldn't even be afraid of God when we come to Him.

VadimkA

Sep 28, 2008
It is a really imortant questions. And mostly it is a question of our relationship with our Father. The deeper you know God the deeper you understand the fear of God. We should clearly understand that He is a concrete Person. I believe that the fear of God is expressed in our humility. To humble yourself means please Him the way HE wants. And HE WANTS to be with us and communicate with us."The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life" (Proverbs 14:27)God Bless...

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(Christina;59947)
Think of ones own Father (parents) We Revere our earthly flesh Father(parents) but also fear him/them if we break the houehold rules.We fear we will disappoint our parents. It is simular with God but 100 times fold because our soul is at stake.
Exactly. When people don't fear God, they give themselves over to all manner of sin.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(Follower;59950)
Exactly. When people don't fear God, they give themselves over to all manner of sin.
I don't fear God, but I reverence Him!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Follower;59950)
According to your previous post we are talking two different kinds of fear (Follower;59922)
This not the Reverance and the kind of fear we are talking about concerning God a good christian should never feel this kind of fear toward his Father. Fear without Reverance and respect is saved for the sinner not the saved

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
(tomwebster;59955)
I don't fear God, but I reverence Him!
Well thats a strong statment to make. Saying you don't fear God is the sign of a fool. I know what you mean by that statement, but still, I would never let the words "I don't fear God" leave my lips when reffering to myself.