What does the bible say about....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

qwerty

Dec 13, 2011
What does the Bible say about God forgiving us and taking us back into his family od believers each time we sin.

Winnetou

Jul 7, 2012
Quote dragonfly' timestamp='1342265444' post='156441'
One thing we have not discussed, is the Bible's emphasis on a married couple being 'one flesh'. Just in passing, I would like to point out for readers who don't know this, that there was no such thing as a church wedding until it was invented by the Roman Catholic Church at the end of the sixteenth century by the Council of Trent. Before that, it was an arrangement between families which followed cultural patterns. For Israelites in the days of polygamy, there was a contract, an espousal period before consummation, and prayers and celebrations which accompanied the various stages. I am unclear as to how this worked if a woman had been married before.

A very interesting objection of you. Many thanks. It shows that God was not the first matchmaker, and that the marriage is an invention of the Middle Ages. Therefore can also nobody who is a Christian claim; that homosexuals might not get married; because God from the beginning has married man and woman to each other.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Quote dragonfly' timestamp='1342265444' post='156441'
One thing we have not discussed, is the Bible's emphasis on a married couple being 'one flesh'. Just in passing, I would like to point out for readers who don't know this, that there was no such thing as a church wedding until it was invented by the Roman Catholic Church at the end of the sixteenth century by the Council of Trent. Before that, it was an arrangement between families which followed cultural patterns. For Israelites in the days of polygamy, there was a contract, an espousal period before consummation, and prayers and celebrations which accompanied the various stages. I am unclear as to how this worked if a woman had been married before.

A very interesting objection of you. Many thanks. It shows that God was not the first matchmaker, and that the marriage is an invention of the Middle Ages. Therefore can also nobody who is a Christian claim; that homosexuals might not get married; because God from the beginning has married man and woman to each other.

:blink: I'm sorry. Firstly, I can't really see what this has to do with the OP...but that could be just me.
But the rest...you honestly think that God wasn't the first 'match maker'...that marriage was invented in the middle ages, and therefore the bible supports gay marriage? Again, I say :blink: .
God MADE Adam a wife. He bought them together, and they became one flesh. God instituted the covenant of marriage...Jesus Himself points back to this beginning when asked about marriage. One man, one woman:

“Haven’t you read,” He replied, “that He who created them in the beginning made them male and female,” and He also said:“For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife,and the two will become one flesh? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has joined together, man must not separate." Matt 19:4-6

So, unless you want to deny what Christ said...I'd do some quick thinking about this...

Winnetou

Jul 7, 2012
Sorry, it was my fault. I had to post this in another thread. At first I wrote in German, than I tryto translate it in English, and then i copied it. This is how I work. Sorry again for my mistake.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the answer to your question is yes. he will forgive you as often as is necessary. remember that does not mean you have a license to sin. the difference is a heart issue. if you keep doing the same sin over and over again even when you know it is wrong then it will cause you to harden your heart against God in that area. if you are trying to please God and you sin then that is what grace is for. grace is to forgive you your sins while you are trying to get your relationship with God ironed out. i hope this helps

God bless

Reactions: Angelina

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
What does the Bible say about God forgiving us and taking us back into his family od believers each time we sin.

Once we are saved, we are never OUT of His family. We just lose fellowship with Him when we sin--until we confess and forsake that sin. It's the same as with our earthly father. We do something to warrant punishment, but we remain his child. When I was saved, I was given ETERNAL life--not temporary life until my next sin, which probably happened the same day I was saved on May 18, 1963.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hello qwerty,

What does the Bible say about God forgiving us and taking us back into his family od believers each time we sin

The Bible has a great deal to say about sin, and how it used to be dealt with before Jesus Christ was crucified, and how Jesus Christ dealt with it on the cross, and how we, through Him, are able to overcome sin. Rom 8:13; Col 3:5.

John writes about this in his first epistle, in the second half of chapter 1 and the beginning of chapter 2, and mentions it in different ways throughout the rest of that epistle. He is of the opinion that for the most part, believers don't sin.

Yes God forgives us if we repent, but He is also looking into our hearts to see how serious we are about pleasing Him.

Matthew 7:21 helps to put things in perspective, as do the verses before it and after it.

qwerty

Dec 13, 2011
if you keep doing the same sin over and over again even when you know it is wrong then it will cause you to harden your heart against God in that area.

This is what im doing! Is my heat hardening against God?

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
everyone i know has their heart hardened in one area or another. the key is not if we have a hard heart but where is my heart hardened? how did it get that way? and how can i change it back to being a sensitive, God loving, and God seeking heart. we harden our hearts by a voluntary act of mind or will. the mind seeks to justify our position, opinion or action. this necessitates a reason for taking this position of stubbornness against God. also if the mind commits itself to this hard hearted position the emotions or feelings also begin to adjust themselves to our will's position. soon the emotions will sympathize with the attitude taken by our will so that there is harmony in our soul. then the emotions are influenced by the thoughts and the thoughts are directed by our will. so then if our will is committed to a dishonest or unscriptural position its first tendency is to use reason and logic to support its position or to excuse it. it can also work in the reverse order to our detriment.

we also harden hearts by allowing continued bias against God and his word, ministers or the body of Christ itself. they do this by committing themselves to a one sided view of the whole doctrines of God. they purposely purposely take a narrow view of all the questions or disagreements between themselves and God in order to justify their hard hearted and rebellious state of mind. even when honestly approached they will usually find fault, be offended, criticize God, the church, and maybe even you. they resort to these accusations to justify their position in regard to God and their poor or lack of relationship to him. thus they jump to unfounded prejudices or prejudgements. now they jump to a conclusion from a very limited examination of the facts. if they search the scriptures in search of the truth their mode of operation for establishing bibliical doctrines, foundations, and applications is to find scripture to support their claims rather then going to the word 1st and basing their opinion on those doctrines.

instead of explaining all the ways i will just list some other ways of getting a hard heart which are: pride, sin, religion, rebellion, consistent procrastination, peer pressure, being offended, and ect.

some of the outward signs of a hard heart are as follows: 1. recognizes no need for God's, man's or anyone else's forgiveness. 2. does not appreciate the great love or immense price Jesus paid for us. 3. their emotions are deadened or perverted to selfishness, hate, and sorrow. 4. doubt and unbelief replace faith. 5. selfish and self centered instead of brotherly love or a giving heart. 6. always right and never wrong. 7. insincere, empty, and hollow prayers. 8. breeds division, strife, and every evil thing. ultimately a hard heart can be the cause refusing and not accepting God's grace, salvation, a personal relationship, eternal life in heaven.

all these points are scriptural if you wish for me to post them i can. if these things above apply to you then you need to go before God so he can show us our areas we have a hard heart in so he can soften it.

God bless

Kidron

Jun 27, 2012

It says nothing about it.
What it does say is that once you take Christ as your savior then God takes you as his Son.
Once this spiritual transaction is completed, then you are no longer under the law but under Grace.
From this position, God has the basis to not hold you accountable for your sins, based on the fact that his
Son has paid for them all.

think of it like this.
every time you sin, remind yourself........"jesus paid for that already".
Do this until you comprehend what salvation has done for you.

At the same time, realize that even tho you are not being held accountable for your sins in the sense of
being judged for them after you die, ...you do have to deal with the consequences of your sin, and what is
even more sobering, is the fact that once you become the Son of God, he now has legal jurisdiction over you to
"correct" you, as in Hebrews 12:6.
So while God has completely forgiven you all your sins, based on Christ paying for them all, he will still correct you if you decide to
live in sin as well as correct you simply because he has to get you on the track that you are supposed to stay on as a believer.

God will correct you 2 ways.
He will use the word to convict you and create in you a deep remorse regarding what you have done.
Not condemnation, but remorse..........in other words an attitude of repentance.
And remember, repentance is not being sorry you are caught, repentance is being sorry for what you are.
2nd) .... Ge will allow trouble to enter your world that will continue until it has purged from your behavior a self control deficit, or has purged from you a wrong desire or rebellious or prideful attitude that must be changed or controlled .

K

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God will correct you 2 ways.
He will use the word to convict you and create in you a deep remorse regarding what you have done.
Not condemnation, but remorse..........in other words an attitude of repentance.
And remember, repentance is not being sorry you are caught, repentance is being sorry for what you are.
2nd) .... Ge will allow trouble to enter your world that will continue until it has purged from your behavior a self control deficit, or has purged from you a wrong desire or rebellious or prideful attitude that must be changed or controlled .

i may be mistaken here but are you not meaning repentance is being sorry for what you did and not for what you are correct? if i am mistaken then could you show me from the word of God where it supports your point please.

btw are there not more then 2 ways that God will correct us?

and last but not least what you say here qwerty is pretty much true as i know it but you have not answered the question yet. i believe i know what qwerty is asking about. correct me if i am wrong but qwerty is asking 2 questions. 1. What does the Bible say about God forgiving us and 2. What does the Bible say about God taking us back into his family of believers each time we sin. if this is what qwerty is asking the the bible has a lot to say on both subjects.

God bless

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Kidron,

You may have been taught what you wrote here, but you cannot back it up from scripture, unless you ignore certain verses.

What it does say is that once you take Christ as your savior then God takes you as his Son.
Once this spiritual transaction is completed, then you are no longer under the law but under Grace.

From this position, God has the basis to not hold you accountable for your sins, based on the fact that his
Son has paid for them all.

think of it like this.
every time you sin, remind yourself........"jesus paid for that already".
Do this until you comprehend what salvation has done for you.

At the same time, realize that even tho you are not being held accountable for your sins ...'

To qwerty,

If you have sinned, you do need to seek the Lord for true repentance, confess the sin to the Lord and ask Him to forgive you for it specifically. There is nowhere in the New Testament which states your future sins have been taken care of, except by implication because 'the blood of the everlasting covenant' is just that - everlasting. In other words, although we interface with eternity in the present tense, once you have sinned, the spiritual effect is a marring of our fellowship with the Lord; this can be restored by having a right attitude towards it, of contrition towards Him, and turning from sin.

If the truth is in you, you will know when you have sinned, and you will become more careful to stay in the light. 1 John 1:7, 8.

But don't be disheartened. It is very okay to try to not sin. This is how we eventually get victory over sins which seem to have had a particular hold on us. It can take soul-searching and seeking the Lord, to really uncover why we fall in certain ways, but He can and does deliver fully, if we ask Him to.

Luke 17:3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.
4 And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent;
thou shalt forgive him. 5 And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith.

Matthew 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there remember that thy brother hath ought against thee;
24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

1 John 4:20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar:
for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

1 Peter 2:19 For this [is] thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.
20 For what glory [is it], if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently?
but if, when ye do well, and suffer [for it], ye take it patiently, this [is] acceptable with God.
21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example,
that ye should follow his steps: 22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth...'

1 Peter 3:10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:
11 Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it. 12 For the eyes of the Lord [are] over the righteous,
and his ears [are open] unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord [is] against them that do evil.

1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.
And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.

You will find John has a lot to say about this in his first Epistle. We don't get barred from God's family when we sin, and hopefully we will be prayerful enough to respond to the Holy Spirit and God's Word, and confess(agree with God) our sins to Him.

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
You will find John has a lot to say about this in his first Epistle. We don't get barred from God's family when we sin, and hopefully we will be prayerful enough to respond to the Holy Spirit and God's Word, and confess(agree with God) our sins to Him.

You haven't yet confessed your sins as Jesus wants us to. Read { John 20:23 ],you do realize that Jesus formed His Church only with His apostles and their successors as His" teachers,"not teachers as you, me,or any Protestant minister, but, only with those who have and will receive that authority from Jesus as according to Holy Scripture.[ Luke 10:16 ]

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
You haven't yet confessed your sins as Jesus wants us to. Read { John 20:23 ],you do realize that Jesus formed His Church only with His apostles and their successors as His" teachers,"not teachers as you, me,or any Protestant minister, but, only with those who have and will receive that authority from Jesus as according to Holy Scripture.[ Luke 10:16 ]

First of all, John 20:23 was in regards to the same way Jesus operated. Healing and forgiveness were the same thing to Jesus and you can see that in Mark 2:6-12; [sup] [/sup]Now some teachers of the law were sitting there, thinking to themselves, [sup]7 [/sup]“Why does this fellow talk like that? He’s blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?”
[sup]8 [/sup]Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this was what they were thinking in their hearts, and he said to them, “Why are you thinking these things? [sup]9 [/sup]Which is easier: to say to this paralyzed man, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, take your mat and walk’? [sup]10 [/sup]But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the man, [sup]11 [/sup]“I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.” [sup]12 [/sup]He got up, took his mat and walked out in full view of them all. This amazed everyone and they praised God, saying, “We have never seen anything like this!”

Did you actually read John's first epistle?
You need to see what the scripture says(exegesis) and not what you want it to say(eisegesis).

Again the Bible is clear on this subject, 1Tim 2:5-6; For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all people.
1 John 1:9; If we confess our sins, He(Christ) is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
I would like to add to my post earlier today, that the word 'confess' carries the meaning of acknowledge - and apart from what it takes to make a situation right with another person who has been affected by one's wrong words or actions, I do not mean that we should tell another person, (or a priest in a religious order), but that we should come boldly to the throne of grace to find mercy (help) in time of need. Hebrews 4:16

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
I would like to add to my post earlier today, that the word 'confess' carries the meaning of acknowledge - and apart from what it takes to make a situation right with another person who has been affected by one's wrong words or actions, I do not mean that we should tell another person, (or a priest in a religious order), but that we should come boldly to the throne of grace to find mercy (help) in time of need. Hebrews 4:16

That's right, 'confess' means to agree with God or to acknowledge that God says what we have done is wrong. We acknowledge the sin and God forgives it.

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
Stan, this post I mistakenly posted in a wrong thread ,it beongs here-

Posted Today, 03:10 PM

Stan, on 20 July 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

Like I said, no scripture exists that supports your assertion. The one scripture you do quote though,1 Tim 2:5, does indicate the the confessional mediator process that RC priests function in, is not supported by the Bible.

Stan,be careful now, have you read Lev 19:20-22, that verse is found in the Bible, isn't it ?

Now let's move on the NT here we see where Jesus also, besides dying on the Cross for our sins, actually verbally forgives sins,

, Jesus being the High Priest. We see Jesus forgives the paralyzed man in { Luke 6: 18-26 ] the woman taken in adultery [ John 8:1-11 ] the sinful woman [ Luke 7:39-50 ] and the good thief [ Luke 23:39-43 ]

Stan,then look into your Bible, we see Jesus passing on His power and authority to forgive sins to men [ John 20:23 ] back it up with [ Luke 10:16 ]

And of course Jesus wants His Apostles to pass on and give this power to other qualified "ordained men " ,[ Matt. 28: 18-20 ]

Jesus left His power in the Church [ His Church ] when He said : " Whose sins YOU shall forgive , they are forgiven " ------

" For what I have pardoned .... I have done it in the person of Christ [ 2nd Cor. 2:10 ]

Stan , why don't you think that Jesus [ God ] isn't powerful enough to have our sins forgiven by communicating His forgiveness through a priesthood?