What is Christianity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Merriam-Webster
"Christianity, noun
1 : the religion derived from Jesus Christ, based on the Bible as sacred scripture, and professed by Eastern, Roman Catholic, and Protestant bodies"

What is professed in agreement by the Eastern, Roman Catholic, and Protestant bodies? It is the Ecumenical Creeds which define the Triune God. What is the purpose of a theology category if not something this critical?

Since a forum calling itself a Christianity Board rejects discussion of such a foundational doctrine; how under God's heaven do they define the basics of the Christian faith? The removal of my thread on this topic brings to my mind the following -

"Do not team up with unbelievers. What partnership can righteousness have with wickedness? Can light associate with darkness? Can Christ agree with Belial, or a believer join with an unbeliever? Can there be a compact between the temple of God and idols? And the temple of the living God is what we are. God’s own words are: ‘I will live and move about among them; I will be their God, and they shall be my people.’ And therefore, ‘Come away and leave them, separate yourselves, says the Lord; touch nothing unclean. Then I will accept you, says the Lord Almighty; I will be a father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters.’" (2Cor 6:14-18, REB)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Do not team up with unbelievers. What partnership can righteousness have with wickedness?
I don't know if you were on the board earlier this year. There were many poorly done Trinity debates, and finally it was shut down. Not by affirming the board doctrine of the Trinity, and holding to that, but by prohibiting the discussion, though in fact the debates continue, often in very poor form, on various other threads.

Personally I find this forum a collection of bitter and sweet, all in the same place.

Much love!

Reactions: Azim and L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cannot convince another of my own beliefs, whether they are correctly based on God's word .......or not.

What I, we can do is stand firm in what God has to say about how we come to him and the walk we do within the Spirit in our relationship with him.

Every thought we write is our testimony of our beliefs. However, we are to hold to the testament of Jesus, the only begotten Son of God, whom gave himself for the sin of the world; to all whom will believe!
We are also to hold to the doctrines of God & Christ, found within his word!

Reactions: APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Merriam-Webster
"Christianity, noun
1 : the religion derived from Jesus Christ, based on the Bible as sacred scripture, and professed by Eastern, Roman Catholic, and Protestant bodies"

What is professed in agreement by the Eastern, Roman Catholic, and Protestant bodies? It is the Ecumenical Creeds which define the Triune God. What is the purpose of a theology category if not something this critical?

Since a forum calling itself a Christianity Board rejects discussion of such a foundational doctrine; how under God's heaven do they define the basics of the Christian faith? The removal of my thread on this topic brings to my mind the following -

"Do not team up with unbelievers. What partnership can righteousness have with wickedness? Can light associate with darkness? Can Christ agree with Belial, or a believer join with an unbeliever? Can there be a compact between the temple of God and idols? And the temple of the living God is what we are. God’s own words are: ‘I will live and move about among them; I will be their God, and they shall be my people.’ And therefore, ‘Come away and leave them, separate yourselves, says the Lord; touch nothing unclean. Then I will accept you, says the Lord Almighty; I will be a father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters.’" (2Cor 6:14-18, REB)
I believe I played some role with the contents of my post, causing your thread on the Biblical teaching of the Trinity to be deleted. I spoke about 2 Corinth 13:4 and my view of theology. How unfortunate for you. I hope that does not deter you from continuing on and saying your peace.

I believe the rigid approach you took in displaying your 'orthodox' views in your OP and concurrently condemning the JW congregation right off the bat, may have lit the fuse.

Welcome and blessings to you. Continue to write in love that encourages others with real hope, of salvation, for all who are in need of it, to know their God and his gift of salvation.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Merriam-Webster
"Christianity, noun

Those who were first called Christians were witnesses to the resurrected Jesus.

Irrespective of the definitions given through the course of history by any and sundry, it remains that only those who have met The Jesus and embraced his reality are worthy of the name.

So the question remains; what is his reality?

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this simply a superstitious ban on the word "Trinity"?

Is it also a ban on quoting from the Ecumenical Creeds along with the supporting scripture?

Is the phrase "Triune God" also banned?

Does the ban extend to a collation of verses organized by topic that describe the One God, and that Jesus the Christ is God, and that the Holy Spirit is God?

Westminster Confession uses the word "Trinity" as does the 1689 Baptist Confession

The 1646 First London Confession of Faith does not use the word "Trinity" but reads -

I.

The Lord our God is but one God, whose subsistence is in Himself; whose essence cannot be comprehended by any but himself, who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light, which no man can approach unto; who is in Himself most holy, every way infinite, in greatness, wisdom, power, love, merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth; who giveth being, moving, and preservation to all creatures.

1 Cor. 8:6, Isa. 44:6, 46:9, Exod. 3:14, 1 Tim 6:16, Isa. 43:15; Ps. 147:5, Deut. 32:3; Job 36:5; Jer. 10:12, Exod. 34:6,7, Acts 17:28; Rom. 11:36.

II.

In this divine and infinite Being there is the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; each having the whole divine Essence, yet the Essence undivided; all infinite without any beginning, therefore but one God; who is not to be divided in nature, and being, but distinguished by several peculiar relative properties.

1 Cor. 1:3; John 1:1, 15:26, Exod. 3:14; 1 Cor. 8:6

Is the teaching minus the particular word "Trinity" also banned?

It is permissible in this forum for any lame-brained yokel to post their theological concept of God, and yet the witness of the historic church universal is banned over the use of an historic word?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Merriam-Webster
"Christianity, noun

I would call "Christianity" the effort to live our lives as Jesus taught us.