Would you date a non-Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I wouldn't for efficiency reasons, 2 Corinthians 6:

14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
Paul says that we should only marry believers.

I would date a woman only for the possibility of marriage. From an efficiency point of view, it is better to date someone already qualified for marriage. Doing otherwise requires more effort on my part. Dating a non-Christian is not a sin. It is just not efficient. It's my Occam's Razor lazy thinking acting up again :)

Marrying one, however, Exodus 34:

16 And when you choose some of their daughters as wives for your sons and those daughters prostitute themselves to their gods, they will lead your sons to do the same.
Your non-believing partner may lead you away from God. That's the dire warning.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was married to a non believer and I would not recommend it. I came to faith three years into it and with Gods grace I stayed for 27years , and also with Gods grace after affairs ended the marriage I remained friends and was able to forgive him. It’s not always a case of the believer going away from God, I grew as a Christian. It is the gulf that widens as the Lord changes you and the constant dilemmas of dealing with wrong attitudes and decisions that my husband made.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
NO!!....we would have “ NOTHING “ in common...I live, breath ,eat and sleep God, unless God brings me another Born Again, I will remain in him until the day I die...32 yrs with God and have never dated a man...

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wouldn't for efficiency reasons, 2 Corinthians 6:

Paul says that we should only marry believers.

I would date a woman only for the possibility of marriage. From an efficiency point of view, it is better to date someone already qualified for marriage. Doing otherwise requires more effort on my part. Dating a non-Christian is not a sin. It is just not efficient. It's my Occam's Razor lazy thinking acting up again :)

Marrying one, however, Exodus 34:

Your non-believing partner may lead you away from God. That's the dire warning.
I don't think it would be wise to date a non-Christian.