What is Grace?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

spockrates

Apr 13, 2012
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand this.
I apologize. It appears I misunderstood you. When you said,

No, in this case I don't agree at all. You're a newcomer here and apparently don't realize yet the wickedness of his doctrine.

I thought you meant that you don't agree some scripture is ambiguous. Seems your statement was ambiguous to me! For you meant to convey that you don't agree about something altogether different from what I misunderstood you to mean.

Do you see how even in dialogs like this one might easily misunderstand another? The same is true of scripture, in my experience. So we ought to be understanding and patient with those whom we believe to be deceived, I think. What about you?

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
spockrates said:
Do you see how even in dialogs like this one might easily misunderstand another? The same is true of scripture, in my experience. So we ought to be understanding and patient with those whom we believe to be deceived, I think. What about you?
Of course, patience for those who are deceived, yet want to learn; but no patience for those who teach falsehoods.

spockrates

Apr 13, 2012
2 Timothy 2:24-26
New International Version (NIV)
24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. 25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

Are those who oppose you the ones who teach true doctrine or false?

Please don't get me wrong. There were some who opposed Christ with whom he was harsh and others who opposed him with whom he was gentle. So what condition did an opponent have to meet to be treated gently by him?

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
spockrates said:
2 Timothy 2:24-26
New International Version (NIV)
24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. 25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.
We could play scripture tag all day long. I'm not going to play.

ScottAU

Feb 27, 2013
I knew you'd eventually get to the perversion you teach. Took 6 paragraphs of truth to establish the pretext for one paragraph of lies, but you finally got there. (btw, I must commend you on your relatively short post!)

Once again you attempt to blur the distinction between sinful nature and acts of sin. For those who seek GOD, the cloak, or atonement, is a necessary component of grace. Without it we would be naked before a holy GOD. With it we can have boldness to approach the mercy seat because the sinful nature, and any acts of sin that we are confessing, are covered by the blood.

A shadow of this cloak was there in the beginning when GOD shed an animal's blood in order to provide a covering for Adam and Eve, so that they could continue to seek GOD through faith and not hide from him.

Faith in the atonement is not by any means double-mindedness, because there is a distinction between having a corrupt nature, and a corrupt heart. You cannot see this distinction because you do not believe that your nature is corrupt. In you this scripture is fulfilled:

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 1 John 1:8

Why don't you explain to us why you think faith in atonement is double-minded?

This is not a perversion at all.
Many false teachers today present grace as the "unmerited favour of God" presented to mankind through the "death of Christ" which is twisted into being a legal transaction which acts as a "forensic cloak" for an ongoing state of rebellion. The fruit of this deception are double-minded converts who have never truly had the axe laid to the root of rebellion via repentance and thus have never crucified the flesh with the passions and desires.
The only reason you view it as a perversion is due to your adherence to the 400 year old doctrine known as "Penal Substitution" which was a development of Anselm's "Satisfaction View" of the death of Christ.

References:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penal_substitution
http://www.theopedia.com/Penal_substitutionary_atonement

extract:-
The Penal-Substitution Theory of the atonement was formulated by the 16th century Reformers as an extension of Anselm's Satisfaction theory. Anselm's theory was correct in introducing the satisfaction aspect of Christ's work and its necessity; however the Reformers saw it as insufficient because it was referenced to God's honor rather than his justice and holiness and was couched more in terms of a commercial transaction than a penal substitution. This Reformed view says simply that Christ died for man, in man's place, taking his sins and bearing them for him. The bearing of man's sins takes the punishment for them and sets the believer free from the penal demands of the law: The righteousness of the law and the holiness of God are satisfied by this substitution.
note: emphasis added.

The above view teaches that a sinner is released from condemnation due to the penal demands of the law being satisfied because Jesus Christ bore the literal punishment due the sinner. In other words, it is taught, Jesus "paid the fine that was owed."

The Bible simply does not teach any such notion anywhere and if you believe it does then the burden is on those who teach this doctrine to produce the scriptural passages which clearly establish this doctrine.

I contend that this 400 year old doctrine of the Reformers is pure heresy because it twists the death of Christ into a purely legal transaction whereby a sinner is "positionally saved" whilst they remain in rebellion to God. It is due to the fundamentals of this doctrine that many teach that a Christian CAN SIN and REMAIN SAVED. Under this teaching salvation is a mere book keeping entry totally disconnected from the manifest righteousness which is produced through a genuine abiding relationship in Jesus Christ. Thus under Penal Substitution "abiding in Christ" is purely a "position" as opposed to an "actuality." In other words "the walk" of a professing Christian is subsequent to salvation for salvation is merely an "abstract identity" as opposed to being a "manifest reality."

ChristRoseFromTheDead,

I notice again that bulwark of your contention against what I write is purely in the realm of rhetoric. You are clearly unable to refute my position and thus all you do is blow rhetorical smoke by casting aspersions on what I write. I have already brought this issue to your attention in a previous post...

http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/17964-calvinism/page-6#entry191346

You continue to use 1Joh 1:8 as a proof text for the notion that there exists an "ongoing state of sinfulness" in a Christian. I have tried to clearly show you that 1Joh 1:8 is a verse about REPENTANCE in the context of "how one is to approach God seeking the cleansing of sin and thus reconciliation." We don't approach God having left the mire of the pig pen (Luk 15) and deny that we have sin to our account, rather we are to confess our former misconduct. The false teachers preach a message whereby one is regenerated IN THE PIG PEN (ie. saved IN sin) instead if regeneration occurring after a sinner FORSAKES THE PIG PEN (ie. saved FROM sin).

Furthermore the blood of Christ does not clean us of "all sin" (1Joh 1:7) and leave us "in sin." We are not cleansed of "all unrighteousness" and left "in unrighteousness."

A new babe in Christ may be ignorant in many areas but their hearts have been made pure due to them having obeyed the truth through the Spirit.

1Pe 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
1Pe 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
1Pe 2:1 Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
1Pe 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
1Pe 2:3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

You ignore such passages in the Bible.

Act 15:9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

Tit 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

You take this verse...

1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

And you use it to imply that a Christian is perpetually sinful whilst they remain in human flesh. Yet here is that verse IN CONTEXT...

1Jn 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
1Jn 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1Jn 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

There is simply no rebellion (sin unto death) in the walk of a Christian. That kind of sin MUST CEASE. Which is why John makes statements like this...

1Jn 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
1Jn 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
1Jn 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

1Jn 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
1Jn 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
1Jn 3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
1Jn 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
1Jn 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

The MANIFEST FRUIT of an individual clearly reveals as to whether they are born of God or not.

People like you ChristRoseFromTheDead do not rightly divide the word of truth but instead you cherry pick isolated passages and pull them completely out of context in order to promote the dogmatic views that have been passed down to you via false teachers.

Now you ask me this question...

Why don't you explain to us why you think faith in atonement is double-minded?

That is another example of how you twist things in order to try an oppose my contentions. I NEVER claimed that "faith in the atonement is double-minded." What I did clearly assert was that there are "converts" who "profess Christ" who have NEVER had the axe laid to the root of sin through a genuine repentance experience and thus have never "crucified their old man with Christ whereby the body of sin is destroyed that they no longer SERVE sin."

Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

Thus they have not done this...

Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Due to not doing that these converts REMAIN in the double minded state of lacking the single eye which Jesus spoke about.

Mat 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
Mat 6:23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!
Mat 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Thus they do not do this...

Rom 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Rom 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Instead they "obey their lusts" for they NEVER crucified them.

Jas 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Thus they "sin unto death" instead of those who are truly born of God who "keep themselves."

1Jn 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Thus while they may THINK they serve God they are actually serving a FALSE IMAGE of God whilst they remain "carnal and sold under sin." They are poor, blind and naked and cannot perceive their true state before God due to their refusal to legitimately come to the light.

The scriptures are very clear and harmonious on these things.

What has happened today in the modern "church system" is that wolves, who appear as lambs, have led multitudes of sheep astray with very deceptive false doctrines. This false doctrine ALWAYS defends being able to engage in willful transgression against the Creator and "surely not die." Satan's original lie has simply been repackaged.

Jud 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
Jud 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

These wolves deny Christ because they deny the doctrine He taught.

Mat 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Mat 16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

There is no salvation in the service of sin.

Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
Rom 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Salvation is only found in the service of righteousness. It is grace that teaches us they way of righteousness, we access this grace through the exercise of a genuine faith whereby we walk in the light as He is in the light and the power of God manifests THROUGH us for it is by God's grace that we are quickened unto life.

Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Thus we are "saved by grace through faith."

As I mentioned in my previous post the entire theme of the Bible is a call from God to all humanity to forsake their rebellion and to simply YIELD to Him. It is in yielding to God that life is found.

spockrates

Apr 13, 2012
ChristRose:

Yes, please accept my apologies for getting off topic.

:)

Getting back to the topic, are you of the opinion that grace is the undeserved favor of God but not the undeserved power of God?

bytheway said:
With all the debating of grace it comes down to how one handles it. grace is opposed to earning,but is not opposed to effort! Acts 4:33 presents "great" grace! What does one do with that? Seems there are levels of grace. Reminds me of Ephesians 1:19 where Paul discribes the exceeding greatness of His power. He always out does Himself. Men can only come to greatness,God uses the last great thing He did as a spring board to the greater. Understanding grace in it's first dimention is only the starting point.
Yes, but I think the reasonable argument of some is that the power of God to enable us to obey is not the same as the grace of God to enable us to be saved. So how should one respond to the idea that grace is God's love but not his power?

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible doesn't provide an explicit definition of grace; which tells me that
it assumes its audience has enough command of their own language to know
what grace is. So then; in my opinion, if someone has to ask what grace is;
then they are neither mature enough, nor educated enough to read the Bible
on their own.

Buen Camino
/

ScottAU

Feb 27, 2013
spockrates said:
ChristRose:

Getting back to the topic, are you of the opinion that grace is the undeserved favor of God but not the undeserved power of God?

Yes, but I think the reasonable argument of some is that the power of God to enable us to obey is not the same as the grace of God to enable us to be saved. So how should one respond to the idea that grace is God's love but not his power?
Paul connects grace to the quickening.

Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
Eph 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
Eph 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Act 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

1Pe 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
1Pe 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
1Pe 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
1Pe 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

The quickening is clearly connected to the death of the old man (Rom 6:4-7). Thus Jesus not only offered Himself up to the Father that His blood remit our past transgression but He also died as an EXAMPLE that WE DIE WITH HIM.

Jesus ransomed us from the "service of sin" thus giving us the opportunity to forsake one master (Satan) in order to server another (Christ). Serving the methodology of Satan leads to ruin whilst serving the methodology of Christ (by abiding in His Spirit) leads to eternal life. Hence the "unmerited gift of God" is eternal life THROUGH Jesus Christ.

The false teachers pervert the way we enter into Christ by presenting a false alternative whereby a sinner never actually "abides in Christ" for they never actually forsake their rebellion which makes it impossible to "receive meekly" the implanted word. The false alternative they offer is the notion of "salvation as forensic" whereby a sinner is reconciled to God when they are STILL IN REBELLION and that the cessation of rebellion occurs AFTER initial salvation in what they teach as "sanctification."

Sanctification in the Bible consists of being initially set apart unto holiness (a servant of righteousness) as well as the ongoing growth (from a babe) in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ (we are instructed). Sanctification IS NOT sinning or rebelling less as many commonly believe. Justification and Sanctification are very closely connected for the faith which God reckons one just by (Rom 4:5) is the same faith by which we are sanctified (hence faith purifies the heart [Act 15:9]).

God bless.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
I am jumping in a little late, as I was not aware of this topic. I don't think grace has been defined yet. It is not God's favor, as some say. The favor is the thing which grace brings to us. On the subject of life and righteousness, in Rom.5:15-18, we find that both of these are gifts. And in the NKJ,and other translations they are called 'free' gifts. Unlike a couple of the doctrines presented above, the bible shows that the sacrifice of Jesus and His resurrection to life are they which have provided these gifts to man. This is also seen in 2Cor.5:19,20. Salvation is God's gift to mankind, to they who are willing to accept it as such: namely a gift. Therefore grace is the giving of a free gift. Faith is the means by which we receive this gift.
Jesus told His disciples "Freely you have received. Freely give".
Several of us have replied to the doctrine presented in reply #45. I will again do so later today after work. It is in opposition to grace. In fact, it opposes the blood sacrifice of Jesus. It opposes faith. Here is a quote from it:

"The above view teaches that a sinner is released from condemnation due to the penal demands of the law being satisfied because Jesus Christ bore the literal punishment due the sinner. In other words, it is taught, Jesus "paid the fine that was owed."

The Bible simply does not teach any such notion anywhere and if you believe it does then the burden is on those who teach this doctrine to produce the scriptural passages which clearly establish this doctrine."

I accept this burden. Start with Rom.5: 15-21. In the meantime, the above post cam along before I had opportunity to read it. "Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world" NOT the "service" of sin, as you suppose.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
spockrates said:
ChristRose:

You have hit on the issue here. His Love is shown through the power He gives. He doesn't condone sin because of Jesus' sacrifice. But He is training us to become as obedient as His own Son.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
ScottAU said:
This is not a perversion at all.
Oh yes it is, Dan Scott.

I already told you several times that I'm not going to entertain your ridiculously long posts. Instead I am going to peel the layers off your onion one layer at a time as I see fit.

So please describe in simple terms, without all of the extensive scripture quotations that you use in place of discussion, what the doublemindness is you are talking about. Don't use a lot of scripture and vague homilies; speak from the heart.

spockrates said:
IMO grace is the attitude or disposition of GOD that he expresses towards us. The holy spirit he gives us through his grace is the power.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Oh yes it is, Dan Scott.

I already told you several times that I'm not going to entertain your ridiculously long posts. Instead I am going to peel the layers off your onion one layer at a time as I see fit.

So please describe in simple terms, without all of the extensive scripture quotations that you use in place of discussion, what the doublemindness is you are talking about. Don't use a lot of scripture and vague homilies; speak from the heart.

IMO grace is the attitude or disposition of GOD that he expresses towards us. The holy spirit he gives us through his grace is the power.

I believe that Scott is making a stand against the easy-believism that is so prevalent in the churches today. These are the pew warmers...the lip service crowd that goes along with the status quo of religious consumerism. In a rush to get the pews filled the standard of God has been set aside so that the multitudes can now be "born-again" by the will of men rather than God.

Does God give grace to the wicked?

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
ScottAU said:
The quickening is clearly connected to the death of the old man (Rom 6:4-7). Thus Jesus not only offered Himself up to the Father that His blood remit our past transgression but He also died as an EXAMPLE that WE DIE WITH HIM.
Dan Scott, are you saying the only purpose for Christ's death was to serve as a moral example?

ScottAU said:
The false teachers pervert the way we enter into Christ by presenting a false alternative whereby a sinner never actually "abides in Christ" for they never actually forsake their rebellion which makes it impossible to "receive meekly" the implanted word. The false alternative they offer is the notion of "salvation as forensic" whereby a sinner is reconciled to God when they are STILL IN REBELLION and that the cessation of rebellion occurs AFTER initial salvation in what they teach as "sanctification."
Dan Scott continually blurs the distinction between sinful nature and the act of sinning. I think that leads him to conclude that a person has not truly repented if he believes he has a sinful nature.

ScottAU said:
Sanctification in the Bible consists of being initially set apart unto holiness (a servant of righteousness) as well as the ongoing growth (from a babe) in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ (we are instructed). Sanctification IS NOT sinning or rebelling less as many commonly believe. Justification and Sanctification are very closely connected for the faith which God reckons one just by (Rom 4:5) is the same faith by which we are sanctified (hence faith purifies the heart [Act 15:9]).
What Dan Scott has been unable to explain so far is how someone who believes they have a sinful nature are sinning and in rebellion to GOD.

Episkopos said:
I believe that Scott is making a stand against the easy-believism that is so prevalent in the churches today. These are the pew warmers...the lip service crowd that goes along with the status quo of religious consumerism. In a rush to get the pews filled the standard of God has been set aside so that the multitudes can now be "born-again" by the will of men rather than God.

That seems to be so, and I don't fault Dan Scott for that. However, being zealous doesn't preclude one from missing the mark completely.

GOD gives grace to the humble, and resists the proud (wicked).

ScottAU

Feb 27, 2013
williemac said:
I am jumping in a little late, as I was not aware of this topic. I don't think grace has been defined yet. It is not God's favor, as some say. The favor is the thing which grace brings to us. On the subject of life and righteousness, in Rom.5:15-18, we find that both of these are gifts. And in the NKJ,and other translations they are called 'free' gifts. Unlike a couple of the doctrines presented above, the bible shows that the sacrifice of Jesus and His resurrection to life are they which have provided these gifts to man. This is also seen in 2Cor.5:19,20. Salvation is God's gift to mankind, to they who are willing to accept it as such: namely a gift. Therefore grace is the giving of a free gift. Faith is the means by which we receive this gift.
Jesus told His disciples "Freely you have received. Freely give".
Several of us have replied to the doctrine presented in reply #45. I will again do so later today after work. It is in opposition to grace. In fact, it opposes the blood sacrifice of Jesus. It opposes faith. Here is a quote from it:

"The above view teaches that a sinner is released from condemnation due to the penal demands of the law being satisfied because Jesus Christ bore the literal punishment due the sinner. In other words, it is taught, Jesus "paid the fine that was owed."

The Bible simply does not teach any such notion anywhere and if you believe it does then the burden is on those who teach this doctrine to produce the scriptural passages which clearly establish this doctrine."

I accept this burden. Start with Rom.5: 15-21. In the meantime, the above post cam along before I had opportunity to read it. "Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world" NOT the "service" of sin, as you suppose.
Firstly the "service of sin" ceases when WE DIE WITH CHRIST through the baptism of repentance

Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

Mar 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Mat 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
Mat 9:16 No man putteth a piece of new cloth unto an old garment, for that which is put in to fill it up taketh from the garment, and the rent is made worse.
Mat 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

You see the "old man" cannot be reformed, he must instead die. It is through dying that we can live, hence we lose our lives that we save them.

Mat 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
Mat 10:36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
Mat 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
Mat 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
Mat 10:39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

We partake in the sufferings of Christ.

1Pe 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
1Pe 4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

Thus it is true that the "lamb of God taketh away the sins of the world" in respect to "past sin" (Rom 3:25, 2Pet 1:9) but this is ONLY the case IF one walks in the light (1Joh 1:7) which we enter into through the baptism of repentance whereby we lay aside all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness (Jam 1:21) and thus becomes DOERS of the word (Jam 1:22), being a DOER of the word is the same as WALKING in the light (1Joh 1:7).

As for the scripture passage you mentioned...

Rom 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
Rom 5:16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
Rom 5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
Rom 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
Rom 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
Rom 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
Rom 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

There is nothing in the above passage which states that Jesus "satisfied the penal demands of the law by bearing the literal punishment due the sinner." Paul didn't say anything of the sort and therefore by merely referencing the passage is meaningless, especially in regards that you don't even offer an explanation.

It is indeed true that the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ (Rom 6:23) and this is mirrored in Rom 5:15-21. Eternal life is indeed a free gift from God BUT there are CONDITIONS that are attached to it. Many are made righteous via the obedience of Christ in that 1. Jesus offered Himself that our past sins be forgiven (thus we are cleansed of all unrighteousness/sin) and 2. that we follow His example whereby we WALK IN THE SPIRIT and the MANIFEST RIGHTEOUSNESS of God is wrought THROUGH US.

Christ's work is not something that one simply "trusts in" APART from being a "doer of the word." There is a connection there which the doctrine of Penal Substitution totally undermines, in fact it destroys it.

Remember that Rom 5:15-21 is connected to Romans 6:1-7 where Paul clearly defines the HOW one enters into "righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord." Moreover Paul in the latter part of chapter 6 specifically makes these statements...

Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
Rom 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
Rom 6:19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
Rom 6:20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
Rom 6:21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
Rom 6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Obedience --------> Righteousness -----------> Holiness.

The gift of God THROUGH Jesus Christ is the dynamic by which a sinner is brought from a state of rebellion to God (sin unto death) and is returned to favour (reconciled) whereby they are doers of the will of God.

Again I make the earnest contention that there is no salvation IN sin. None.

The wolves preach a false abstract salvation message which gives an assurance to sinners that they are saved when still in rebellion. This is why the church system is full of sin and hypocrisy, the underlying message being preached is error.

Episkopos said:

Grace has abounded when sin has abounded..

Rom 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

Yet this abounding grace is accessed by faith (yielding/faithfulness/abiding in Christ)

Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

For God indeed "gives grace" whereby it is made effectual to the saving of the soul.

Jas 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

Hence God is the author of the salvation of those whom obey or yield to Him.

Heb 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

False teachers will strongly imply that obedience "follows" salvation and thus deny that obedience is a "condition" of salvation. Thus they teach an a stage where a person whom is "saved" can still be in transgression. Hence we get the doctrine of the "carnal" or "disobedient" Christian.

Oh yes it is, Dan Scott.

You ought to actually examine what I write instead of writing it off in your mind as "ridiculously long posts."

You have not peeled the layers of any onion because you have not written anything of substance in regards to anything I have written. All you have done is appeal to a FEW verses of scripture which you have isolated out of context as proof texts of erroneous teachings.

I would much prefer to engage in a discussion with you where we look at the actual fundamentals of what we believe and compare it to Scripture. What does the Bible actually teach is the issue. Rhetoric without substance is but temporary smoke, it dissipates and is of no consequence. Let God be true and every man a liar.

If you can show me where I am in error by applying Scripture IN CONTEXT then I will align myself with what the Scripture teaches. My opinion is of no consequence if it does not match up with the Scripture.

You ask this...
I wasn't vague in the slightest. Human beings have two choices. We can either walk our way, according to the passions and desires of the flesh in disregard to the grace of God OR we can submit to the express will of God and walk in the light. The two do not mix, we are to choose this day whom we will serve. Jesus said we cannot serve two masters and Paul taught we are slaved to whom we obey.

If we CHOOSE to do wrong when WE KNOW it is wrong then we are in rebellion to God. It is that simple.

The double-mindedness I am talking about is this notion where "sin is inevitable" because it is some sort of ethereal substance associated with the flesh which NECESSITATES that people sin. Thus when people believe that sin is inevitable they are inoculated against being able to "cease from sin." Thus, under this mindset, salvation has nothing to do with the cessation of sin whereby people continue to sin with impunity while being convinced that they are saved (because they believe that Jesus "paid their penalty").

Under this doctrinal system the pastors cannot warn their congregations that rebellion to God will disqualify anyone from the kingdom because everyone is in some kind of rebellion (some are worse than others). Therefore the preaching consists of moral lessons of what people SHOULD do instead of what people MUST do.

For evidence of this just ask any pastor if there is any sin or sins that must stop BEFORE God will grant forgiveness.

The vast majority will implicitly state that no sin MUST STOP even when asked about specific sins like murder, child molestation, or pornography watching. They truly believe that one is saved IN sin. It is a tragedy of epic proportions that so many people are beguiled by Satan.

Pro 28:13 He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
ScottAU said:
The above view teaches that a sinner is released from condemnation due to the penal demands of the law being satisfied because Jesus Christ bore the literal punishment due the sinner. In other words, it is taught, Jesus "paid the fine that was owed."

The Bible simply does not teach any such notion anywhere and if you believe it does then the burden is on those who teach this doctrine to produce the scriptural passages which clearly establish this doctrine.
Hebrews 10:10
Hebrews 7:27-28
Hebrews 9:12
Hebrews 9:14
1 Cor 6:19-20
1 Cor 7:23
2 Peter 2:1
Gal 3:13-14
Gal 4:4-7
Acts 20:28-30
28 Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God,[a]which he bought with his own blood.[b] 29 I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. 30 Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. 31 So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears. 32 “Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.

ScottAU

Feb 27, 2013
My name is Scott, not Dan.

Rex said:
Hebrews 10:10
Hebrews 7:27-28
Hebrews 9:12
Hebrews 9:14
1 Cor 6:19-20
1 Cor 7:23
2 Peter 2:1
Gal 3:13-14
Gal 4:4-7
Acts 20:28-30
28 Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God,[a]which he bought with his own blood.[b] 29 I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. 30 Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. 31 So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears. 32 “Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.
Yes Jesus purchased us with His blood. He ransomed us from the dominion of sin via His blood. For the blood of Christ purges us of sin.

Yet where does the Bible teach that Jesus "paid the penalty you owe" ???

Where does the Bible teach that Jesus "satisfied the wrath of God by acting as your substitute and receiving your punishment in your place" ????

Not a single one of those verses you references state anything like that.

I find it amazing how people cling to doctrines that the Bible does not teach, especially when challenged to prove their doctrine from the Scripture.

Here is an article I wrote on this subject....

The Blood of Christ: Ransom not Substitution
http://thesinmuststop.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-blood-of-christ-ransom-not-penal.html

The doctrine of Penal Substitution is a doctrine of demons.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Scotty If you don't understand the simple doctrine of salvation I have no Idea what it is you teach or believe, all I can say is it's another Gospel.

Romans 3:24
Romans 6:23

Romans 10:9-11

So were does it say we will be made perfect or completely sinless. Or I should say how then are we redeemed in your opinion?

Every place I read it says WE should put off the deeds of the flesh, not the new man is free from from the deeds of the flesh.
In every instance it is said WE should put off. not it is completely taken away. Your perfect man scenario is a works of the flesh, a false doctrine that enslaves men back into the bondage of the law.

Gal 3:11
Romans 3:20
Gal 2:16

17 Now you, if you call yourself a Jew; if you rely on the law and boast in God; 18 if you know his will and approve of what is superior because you are instructed by the law; 19 if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark, 20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of little children, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— 21 you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself? You who preach against stealing, do you steal? 22 You who say that people should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23 You who boast in the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law? 24 As it is written: “God’s name is blasphemed among the Gentiles "Nations" because of you.

Reactions: HeRoseFromTheDead

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Rex said:
Scotty If you don't understand the simple doctrine of salvation I have no Idea what it is you teach or believe, all I can say is it's another Gospel.

Romans 3:24
Romans 6:23

Romans 10:9-11

So were does it say we will be made perfect or completely sinless. Or I should say how then are we redeemed in your opinion?

Every place I read it says WE should put off the deeds of the flesh, not the new man is free from from the deeds of the flesh.
In every instance it is said WE should put off. not it is completely taken away. Your perfect man scenario is a works of the flesh, a false doctrine that enslaves men back into the bondage of the law.

Gal 3:11
Romans 3:20
Gal 2:16

17 Now you, if you call yourself a Jew; if you rely on the law and boast in God; 18 if you know his will and approve of what is superior because you are instructed by the law; 19 if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark, 20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of little children, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— 21 you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself? You who preach against stealing, do you steal? 22 You who say that people should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23 You who boast in the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law? 24 As it is written: “God’s name is blasphemed among the Gentiles "Nations" because of you.

You must admit that it is the claiming of righteousness WHILE WE SIN SO EXTRAVAGANTLY that leads to bringing shame on Christ and the gospel.

We are saved...not from the responsibility of sin...but from sin itself. Those who still sin are yet incomplete in their salvation...and this has eternal consequences.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Episkopos said:
You must admit that it is the claiming of righteousness WHILE WE SIN SO EXTRAVAGANTLY that leads to bringing shame on Christ and the gospel.

We are saved...not from the responsibility of sin...but from sin itself. Those who still sin are yet incomplete in their salvation...and this has eternal consequences.
Extravagant sin? If we say we are without sin we deceive ourselves 1 John 1:8 While we were yet sinner he saved us Romans 5:6-9

Were you incomplete in salvation when Jesus forgave your sin, while you were yet a sinner? Why then do you now seek to be justified by keeping the law?

Gal 5
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

And here is that hope in faith we await for, the completed victory,

1 Cor 15:51-58

I'm am not advocating sinning, nor the maturity that the newness of life brings as a result of the changing of our heart and the renewing of our mind. But the reality of the situation is that seeking to be justified by keeping the law or thinking one is has reached the fullness of the salvation yet to come is fooling themselves. God has allowed this world to become a proving or training ground, a proof of His love and forgiveness, we should never lose the motivation of our desire to be holy, and I myself never thirst for the water of life threw the spirit, but rather daily drink that I might continue the race. Hebrews 10:36-39

Hebrews 12:1-29
Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
ScottAU said:
My name is Scott, not Dan.
I know your name is Dan Scott. You never answered my question, though - Are you Dan from standingthegap? You know what I'm talking about. Answer my question and I'll leave it alone.