What is our 'Tower of Babble'?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the whole Bible is useful for us today, I think this is a good question to ask ourselves.......

For me, the tower of Babble signifies the complicated methods involved in reaching out to God - all the theological constructs, redundant liturgical practices, and mental gymnastics required to make the tittering tower erect.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
First of all..."babble" is "incoherent or meaningless repetition"...Something you see a lot online.
smilie_girl_120.gif

"Babel" is the "tower".

Secondly...Would you please expound on the meaning of your question?
smilie_girl_073.gif

Thanks.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all..."babble" is "incoherent or meaningless repetition"...Something you see a lot online.
smilie_girl_120.gif

"Babel" is the "tower".

Secondly...Would you please expound on the meaning of your question?
smilie_girl_073.gif

Thanks.

The Tower of 'Babel' represented man's attempt to reach God. How do we try to reach God today, through our own efforts? Rather than waiting for Him to act in our lives and learning to recognize when He is working through us and around us?

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
The Tower of 'Babel' represented man's attempt to reach God. How do we try to reach God today, through our own efforts? Rather than waiting for Him to act in our lives and learning to recognize when He is working through us and around us?

Thanks, Aspen.

Your comment, in the OP, about "all the theological constructs, redundant liturgical practices, and mental gymnastics" is really a good set of overall "practices" I see taking place within the body. Good post.

Especially the "mental gymnastics". It never ceases to amaze me. Someone said something, in another thread, (I believe it was you?) about the "simplicity of Christ". We (meaning collective humanity) have a real problem processing simplicity.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I understand it as representining man's effort to justify himself, or do the works of God, but in his own strength. The tower of the Babel is actually most prominent in the church, those who DO try to go to God.

Everytime we build our own doctrine, and walk according to doctrine, rather than Spirit, we are building our tower to God. The Lord says not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit. That is how we come to know him. Any religion that makes a scheme to make us right with God without us actually coming to know the Lord in reality, and walking in the Spirit is building their own tower. Considering this, almost all of North American Christianity is Bable Christianity; it is by doctrine that we recognize each other, rather than by the spirit of the Lord, the love that is in us. This, in my opinion, is an abomination to God. (When it says the abomination is raised in the temple of God... Well, maybe it means this! Men, in the church, raise their doctrine and walk by it, an idol... Maybe!)

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
I understand it as representining man's effort to justify himself, or do the works of God, but in his own strength. The tower of the Babel is actually most prominent in the church, those who DO try to go to God.

Everytime we build our own doctrine, and walk according to doctrine, rather than Spirit, we are building our tower to God. The Lord says not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit. That is how we come to know him. Any religion that makes a scheme to make us right with God without us actually coming to know the Lord in reality, and walking in the Spirit is building their own tower. Considering this, almost all of North American Christianity is Bable Christianity; it is by doctrine that we recognize each other, rather than by the spirit of the Lord, the love that is in us. This, in my opinion, is an abomination to God. (When it says the abomination is raised in the temple of God... Well, maybe it means this! Men, in the church, raise their doctrine and walk by it, an idol... Maybe!)

Good post, Prentis. Gave me goosebumps.
ja2.gif

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah Prentis - good stuff!!

As soon as we realize that we eat the cursed fruit, build our own tower, and wander in our own wilderness; everyday, we will see how blind we are and allow Christ to become our eyes.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
If the whole Bible is useful for us today, I think this is a good question to ask ourselves.......

For me, the tower of Babble signifies the complicated methods involved in reaching out to God - all the theological constructs, redundant liturgical practices, and mental gymnastics required to make the tittering tower erect.

Hi aspen!

For me...the Tower of Babel represents mans desire to reach God through his own efforts. Today, those efforts can represent anything motivated by the flesh rather than the Spirit. The bible says:

Romans 8:14
For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.

Shalom!

Reactions: Angelina

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Actually, I have to disagree with both of you, Rachel and Aspen.

"Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be dispersed over the face of the whole earth.” - Gen 11: 4

The attempt - at least according to scripture - had nothing to do with man trying to reach God.
Rather it was man trying to prove that He was God - "and let us make a name for ourselves."

Please note God's reaction to their efforts.
He didn't see it as a misguided effort to grow closer to him, but rather an effort for man to elevate themselves.

As a sidebar, the EU Parliament bldg. in Strausbourg, France (a gorgeous city, by the way) has been intentionally modeled to look like the unfinished Tower of Babel found in older paintings and representations.

Go figure...

tower-painting-parliament.jpg

tower-painting-poster.jpg

Vengle

Sep 22, 2011
Ohio
That does sound a lot like our world-wide web of religion.

Foreigner I like that thought: "The attempt - at least according to scripture - had nothing to do with man trying to reach God.
Rather it was man trying to prove that He was God - "and let us make a name for ourselves." "

Reminds me of this thought: 2 Thessalonians 2:4 "Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God."

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Foreigner!
I do not see any posts here by Rachel so I assume you are talking to me... :)

My apologies...I didn't read the verse before I posted and I answered aspen, based on his original post.

The attempt - at least according to scripture - had nothing to do with man trying to reach God.
Rather it was man trying to prove that He was God - "and let us make a name for ourselves."

I do not believe man was trying to prove that he was God but rather, building the tower that reached heaven ensured a form of security and preservation, ensuring that there was a memorial in honor of mankind.
Remember, this was not long after the flood.

Gen 11:4 And they said,H559 Go to,H3051 let us buildH1129 us a cityH5892 and a tower,H4026 whose topH7218 may reach unto heaven;H8064 and let us makeH6213 us a name,H8034 lestH6435 we be scattered abroadH6327 uponH5921 the faceH6440 of the wholeH3605 earth.H776

[H8034 shêm] - name
shame
A primitive word (perhaps rather from H7760 through the idea of definite and conspicuous position; compare H8064); an appellation, as a mark or memorial of individuality; by implication honor, authority, character: - + base, [in-] fame [-ous], name (-d), renown, report.

I also understand that Babel was part of Nimrod's Kingdom, the founder of the Babylonian Empire.
Nimrod was the Grandson of Ham, the son of Cush [meaning: let us rebel]. They no-longer concerned themselves with worshiping the creator but began to follow pantheism and polytheism and eventually the worship of Baal.

Bless you!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
You are correct Angelina, I was indeed referring to you. My mistake completely.

Thank you so much for your latest post. I truly appreciate the historic backfill on the topic.

Definitely provides a little more clarity.

Vengle, excellent scripture. I had forgotten that one.