WHAT - not WHO - is God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(WARNING: This is 338 WORDS and takes ALMOST 55 SECONDS to read. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK, Ye of the Short Attention Span.)

A thread about whether God has wings led to a surprising amount of discussion and confusion. The very question "Does God have wings?" is contrary to the fundamental notion of Divine Simplicity.

Here is a description of Divine Simplicity in somewhat hifalutin language, but you can probably get the basic idea:
Divine simplicity is central to the classical Western concept of God. Simplicity denies any physical or metaphysical composition in the divine being. This means God is the divine nature itself and has no accidents (properties that are not necessary) accruing to his nature. There are no real divisions or distinctions in this nature. Thus, the entirety of God is whatever is attributed to him. Divine simplicity is the hallmark of God’s utter transcendence of all else, ensuring the divine nature to be beyond the reach of ordinary categories and distinctions, or at least their ordinary application.​
The Bible tells us God is Spirit, Light, Love - all consistent with Divine Simplicity. But it also says God has wings. This is an anthropomorphism (attributing human or animal characteristics to God). This is not consistent with Divine Simplicity.

One notion that appeals to me is God as Pure Consciousness or Mind.

Idealism is the notion, popular in ancient times and today, that Mind is the fundamental stuff of all reality - our universe and the spiritual realm. In books like The Idea of the World, Bernardo Kastrup suggests that our universe is a mental construct of the Master Consciousness (in Christian terms, God). We collectively experience this mental construct in the same way.

But we - individuals - are also constructs of this Master Consciousness. We exist within the master construct but each have our inner worlds of perceptions, feelings, emotions and whatnot, as well as our free will. The same wood be true of the inhabitants of the spiritual realm - angels, demons and whatnot.

This makes a great deal of sense to me. It is consistent with many otherwise puzzling Christian doctrines. It is a way of thinking about God that is consistent with Divine Simplicity and all the "omni" attributes of Him.

Idealism - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - Idealism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
The Idea of the World - Amazon.com

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(WARNING: This is 338 WORDS and takes ALMOST 55 SECONDS to read. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK, Ye of the Short Attention Span.)

A thread about whether God has wings led to a surprising amount of discussion and confusion. The very question "Does God have wings?" is contrary to the fundamental notion of Divine Simplicity.

Here is a description of Divine Simplicity in somewhat hifalutin language, but you can probably get the basic idea:
Divine simplicity is central to the classical Western concept of God. Simplicity denies any physical or metaphysical composition in the divine being. This means God is the divine nature itself and has no accidents (properties that are not necessary) accruing to his nature. There are no real divisions or distinctions in this nature. Thus, the entirety of God is whatever is attributed to him. Divine simplicity is the hallmark of God’s utter transcendence of all else, ensuring the divine nature to be beyond the reach of ordinary categories and distinctions, or at least their ordinary application.​
The Bible tells us God is Spirit, Light, Love - all consistent with Divine Simplicity. But it also says God has wings. This is an anthropomorphism (attributing human or animal characteristics to God). This is not consistent with Divine Simplicity.

Idealism is the notion, popular in ancient times and today, that Mind is the fundamental stuff of all reality - our universe and the spiritual realm. In books like The Idea of the World, Bernardo Kastrup suggests that our universe is a mental construct of the Master Consciousness (in Christian terms, God). We collectively experience this mental construct in the same way.

But we - individuals - are also constructs of this Master Consciousness. We exist within the master construct but each have our inner worlds of perceptions, feelings, emotions and whatnot, as well as our free will. The same wood be true of the inhabitants of the spiritual realm - angels, demons and whatnot.

This makes a great deal of sense to me. It is consistent with many otherwise puzzling Christian doctrines. It is a way of thinking about God that is consistent with Divine Simplicity and all the "omni" attributes of Him.

Idealism - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - Idealism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
Well all your worldly definitions notwithstanding, I prefer Gods definition of who He is as given to Moses on Mount Sinai! "I am who I am".

Reactions: amadeus and Pearl

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well all your worldly definitions notwithstanding, I prefer Gods definition of who He is as given to Moses on Mount Sinai! "I am who I am".
Which fits precisely with what I'm saying. You might try exploring what the phrase has been understood to mean in theological terms.

Actually, I'm going to abandon this thread and move it to my blog. When I start getting "your worldly definitions" nonsense right off the bat, I don't have the patience to deal with it.

Thump away.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr E

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
He is always - past present and future - I am. Always the same.

Reactions: amadeus

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Simplicity is dead wrong. And unfortunately it stuck around and morphed into a fusion of an abstract substance or essence of two or more persons as one God. What a mess!

Nothing of divine nature is an essence or a common substance or as an abstract of something - A WHAT!

The divine of all nature is A WHO of one single person - YHWH with one single mind and is the spirit of all created spirits of eternity.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which fits precisely with what I'm saying. You might try exploring what the phrase has been understood to mean in theological terms.

Actually, I'm going to abandon this thread and move it to my blog. When I start getting "your worldly definitions" nonsense right off the bat, I don't have the patience to deal with it.

Thump away.
too bad.