What is proof Satan was Lucifer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. Joseph

Apr 30, 2023
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do people think Lucifer and Satan are the same person? I have heard it all my life,but no one can give scriptural basis for believing this.
When i talk about the rapturel),some go mad,say,"Bible dont say that". Bible dont say Lucifer is Satan,but 99% of christians believe that with no evidence to back their claim.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Isaiah 14:12-15
How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of Dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the nations low! You said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to heaven; above the stars of God I will set my throne on high; I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far reaches of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.’ But you are brought down to Sheol, to the far reaches of the pit.

Luke 10:18
And he said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.”

2 Corinthians 11:14
And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do people think Lucifer and Satan are the same person? I have heard it all my life,but no one can give scriptural basis for believing this.
When i talk about the rapturel),some go mad,say,"Bible dont say that". Bible dont say Lucifer is Satan,but 99% of christians believe that with no evidence to back their claim.
The name “Lucifer” is a translation from a Hebrew word that means “shining one”-possible a Latin word for light giver. “Satan’’ means resister and “Devil” means slanderer. The name for Satan, Devil, wicked one (John 17:15; 1 John 5:19), god of this system (2 Corinthians 4:4), “original serpent” (Revelation 12:9), etcetera, is not mentioned in the Bible. Therefore, it is not known.

Some believe that the name is identified at Isaiah 14:12. “Shinning one” is referring to King Nebuchadnezzar.
The Pharisees and Sadducee's used the name Beelzebub when referring to Satan.-Matthew 12:27
Some scholars suggest that Satan’s name is Magog or Gog (shortened for Magog).-Ezekiel Chapters 38, 39; Revelation 20:9.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The name “Lucifer” is a translation from a Hebrew word that means “shining one”-possible a Latin word for light giver. “Satan’’ means resister and “Devil” means slanderer. The name for Satan, Devil, wicked one (John 17:15; 1 John 5:19), god of this system (2 Corinthians 4:4), “original serpent” (Revelation 12:9), etcetera, is not mentioned in the Bible. Therefore, it is not known.

Some believe that the name is identified at Isaiah 14:12. “Shinning one” is referring to King Nebuchadnezzar.
The Pharisees and Sadducee's used the name Beelzebub when referring to Satan.-Matthew 12:27
Some scholars suggest that Satan’s name is Magog or Gog (shortened for Magog).-Ezekiel Chapters 38, 39; Revelation 20:9.
Great post.

There is an argument that "the devil" is not Lucifer based on the following verse that the devil, unlike Lucifer, was a "murderer" from the beginning.

John 8:44 New Living Translation (NLT)

For you are the children of your father the devil, and you love to do the evil things he does. He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Isaiah 14:12​

1.) The Fall of Lucifer​

12 “How you are fallen from heaven,
O Lucifer, son of the morning!

2.) Jesus said...."""" I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven” in Luke 10:18​

Same FALL from the Same Heaven

A.) Lucifer = Satan

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Job 1:7

Young's Literal Translation

7 And Jehovah saith unto the Adversary, `Whence comest thou?' And the Adversary answereth Jehovah and saith, `From going to and fro in the land, and from walking up and down on it.'

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
That's what I used to believe but John 8:44 says that "the devil" was a murderer from the beginning, which would seemingly rule out Lucifer.

From the beginning of what?

See, that verse is obtuse, in the same way that "endure to the end" in Matt, is obtuse, until you find out "the end of WHAT".

So, before Lucifer was the DEVIL....become Satan... He wasn't
He was Lucifer.

So, from the beginning of his FALL....when he was found with "iniquity".......he became the Devil.
Thats the "beginning".........not the point of his creation.
See, just as Adam was not "adamic nature" until his sin........Lucifer was not "the devil", until "iniquity was found in him".
THEN, he became the "father of lies" and the "Devil', and a "murderer"

There is no telling how long the time frame is, between when Lucifer was created, and when his "beginning" began as "the devil".
But it was a while.
LOng time.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good, you are skeptical and for good reason,
Nowhere does the Bible equate Lucifer who really is the king of Babylon with satan aka adversary of God.

Isaiah 14:12-17,
- How you are fallen from heaven O Lucifer, son of the morning(figurative, symbolic language)
How you are cut down to the ground,
You who weakened the nations
for you have said in your heart: I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God;
I will also sit on the mount of the congregation on the farthest sides of the north;
I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High
Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol, to the lowest depths of the pit
Those who see you will gaze at you and consider you saying,
Is this the  man who made the earth tremble
Who shook kingdoms
Who made the world as a wilderness and destroyed its cities
Who did not open the house of his prisoners

King of Babylon is a man named Lucifer.
Continue to read. You will learn this King has children! This man will be thrust through with a sword!
This man will have a grave!

Verse 18-19
- all the kings of the nations all of them sleep in glory,
Everyone in his own house
But you(Lucifer) are cast out of your  grave...
Thrust through with a  sword...
Prepare slaughter for his  children

I always get a laugh listening to satanist's refer to the devil as Lucifer.
They don't know the word of God.
This idea probably began with the author who wrote the book Dantes inferno