What is the Christian response to a pet's death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you tell your 4 year old about the death of a beloved pet?

avoice

May 17, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you tell your 4 year old about the death of a beloved pet?

I always told my kids they were in heaven and happy with all the other animals. And even if its sad for us because we will miss them. Gods going to take good care of them.

now I know some dont believe this but I think thats exactly where they are

Many animals morn their dead ..They often crave love. They would not understand love if they had no soul.
Its not a soul like ours as we are made in the image of God but a soul none the less.
anything as capable of unconditional love as animals give us humans .. the comfort they provide to us
they certainly have a place in heaven.

If they recognize Jesus they most certainly have a soul for its not flesh that recognizes the savior but spirit

Rev. 5:8-13 all creatures recognize Jesus as the Savior of the world and praise God right along with redeemed men.

In Psalm Psalm 145:-9-10,13,15-21 God loves all His creation and has made plans for all His children and the lesser creatures to enjoy His eternal Kingdom.

Reactions: avoice

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is good advice. I have been worried about my two dogs lately - they are brothers and when one of them dies I think the other is going to be lonely.

Anyway, my niece is very attached to both of them and I was just looking for some advice.

Thanks avoice!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I have a Sheltie that is now 10 years old. His name is "Sodapop" (my daughter named him) and he is my very best friend.
When I am not at work, we are inseperable; playing in the yard, together on the couch, his head out the window when I am driving, hanging out at the dog park...

He is literally my very best friend and my heart breaks seeing the effects that age is starting to have on him.

Why am I saying all this? Because one of my deepest wishes is that this little guy will be with me in heaven.

But I must confess that when I read the scriptures that 'avoice' provided in his/her post, I find nothing that gives confirmation that our animals will be in heaven with us.

Is this post to refute 'avoice'? Absolutely not.

I am hoping that there is other scripture out that that supports what 'avoice' says and I hope...that my pet will be with me and my family in heaven.

avoice

May 17, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a Sheltie that is now 10 years old. His name is "Sodapop" (my daughter named him) and he is my very best friend.
When I am not at work, we are inseperable; playing in the yard, together on the couch, his head out the window when I am driving, hanging out at the dog park...

He is literally my very best friend and my heart breaks seeing the effects that age is starting to have on him.

Why am I saying all this? Because one of my deepest wishes is that this little guy will be with me in heaven.

But I must confess that when I read the scriptures that 'avoice' provided in his/her post, I find nothing that gives confirmation that our animals will be in heaven with us.

I am hoping that there is other scripture out that that supports what 'avoice' says and I hope...that my pet will be with me and my family in heaven.

Hi Foreigner
I wish there was a verse that I could give you stating this outright but there is not one.
Which is why this topic is always left to debate its another of those "Implied Doctrines"...that is we have to draw a conclusion from other verses and weigh the out all of the evidence.

We know for 100% fact there are animals in the kingdom of God Isa 11:6 -7 and Isa. 65:25 .
These animals are not acting in the way of the laws of nature but with love toward each other.

We know the animals went two by two into the Ark (Noah didn't go hunting) again unnatural behavior ..So what does this tell us IMO it says God speaks to the souls of animals and they listen even when its contrary to their nature.

The Bible states that both man (Genesis 2:7) and animals (Genesis 1:30; 6:17; 7:15,22) have the breath of life.
God did create animals as a part of His creative process in Genesis.
God created the animals and said they were good (Genesis 1:25).
We have nothing to contradict animals in heaven
Therefore, there is no reason why there could not be animals in heaven.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
avoice, I see exactly where you are coming from and I do take some encouragement from it.

But the Bible says that Jesus loves all and will never abandon us and wishes that all come to know him...

...but we know many of the "everyone" will not be going to heaven.

God is so abounding in love so how could he NOT love animals and want them with him in heaven.

Again, I take encouragement. Thank you.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I guess that a pet dying is likely to be a child's first glimpse of death or perhaps the first time they are called to some kind of udnerstanding and it is better that they come to terms with the idea of death in an animal than in a human, or more explicitly a close relative.

I suppsoe you could tell a child that the pet is in heaven, I think for a 4 year old this is acceptable since at that age most children believe in Santa Claus (father Christmas we called him), the toothfairy, the easter bunny, the boogyman (Bogie man we called him). Asa child I watched the movie; All dogs Go to Heaven and I think back then I did believe there was a doggie heaven (and if you remember the movie there is also a doggie Hell (that scene frightened me for years)/

However, when we grow up we realise that things like this are just tales, complete fabrications. I realised that the idea of animals dying and going to Heaven in the4 same way as humans was impossible since they either do not have souls or they have no saviour like humans do.

But I could never tell a small child that their dead pet is just dead and that's that, just like I could never tell the widow of a criminal that her husband is in Hell. So maybe it's not a case of what is corect or not but what is right or wrong for the time.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Pets can truly be beloved family members. I see no reason not to believe that they will spend eternity with us, which may be of comfort to a child or anyone.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Maybe it's just my nature....

I actually find it insulting to think that animals go to heaven when they die. It sounds as silly to me as a tree going to heaven when I chop it down, or the weeds I kill in my lawn.

I don't believe animals have a soul and when they die that's it.

Oddly though, I can understand why people believe that animals go to heaven when they die. Then again, I don't believe in bigfoot, but believe in the possibility of it existing............

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Great post....thanks Foreigner.
I understand....my dogs are my best friends too

I actually find it insulting to think that animals go to heaven when they die. It sounds as silly to me as a tree going to heaven when I chop it down, or the weeds I kill in my lawn.

Oddly though, I can understand why people believe that animals go to heaven when they die. Then again, I don't believe in bigfoot, but believe in the possibility of it existing............

Have you owned a beloved pet?
Before I did, I thought the same way you do - I grew up on a farm and raised and butchered animals for food.
I am vegetarian now, but only for health reasons - I still think raising animals for food is fine.
Anyway, I changed my mind about animals when I got my dogs - they have been a real blessing in my life.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010

Why would you be offended? Have you not read of Heavenly animals in the Bible? Have you never loved an amimal?

2 Kings 2:11-12 (ESV)
[sup]11 [/sup]And as they still went on and talked, behold, chariots of fire and horses of fire separated the two of them. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. [sup]12 [/sup]And Elisha saw it and he cried, “My father, my father! The chariots of Israel and its horsemen!” And he saw him no more. Then he took hold of his own clothes and tore them in two pieces.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I don't think that those animals in ehaven actually died and went there, they were probably born there and are more sentient than normal animlas.

Personally I don't think animals can die and go to heaven or Hell like humans can, but I won't rule it out completely becasue there's no way of knowing.

I'm prepared to believe that God loves the animals but not in the same way as humans because man was made in the image of God and given authoirty or stewardship over the animal kingdom (or republic if you wish)..

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Personally I don't think animals can die and go to heaven or Hell like humans can, but I won't rule it out completely becasue there's no way of knowing.

I'm prepared to believe that God loves the animals but not in the same way as humans because man was made in the image of God and given authoirty or stewardship over the animal kingdom (or republic if you wish)..
I don't know of proof either way, but I do believe there's a reason we can dearly love our pets. I won't be at all surprised to spend eternity with my beloved pets. I see nor reason to not believe they will be there.

Psalm 37:4 (ESV)
[sup]4 [/sup]Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Why not?

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Don't get me wrong, I like the sntiment and there are some cats and dogs I'd like to see again but at the end of te day an animal is an animal and ahuman is a human and and the two are both loved by God but are very different spiritually and this is even if animals do have souls, which I won't rule out nless perhaps I have some kind of revelation.

But maybe thinking of it this way will amke sense.

God created man in his image and to be with him in paradise, so before the fall man and God were in full communion. Man was closer to God than the Angels. Remember God gave Adam the task of tending the guarden adn naming the animals, he didn't give it to an Archangel. Under man back then was the Angels, who were as they are now the messengers or heralds of God, these like man were spiritual beings. Tehn the next rung down the ladder was the aimals, cretures with primitive brains that had to be shepparded by man. After the fall this order of things changed and we see man losing his place with God and taking on more animal characteristics, ie.e moving from a higher plane to a lower plane. man still has a spiritual side or soul but being of the world has a more animal side. If you've ever read about sigmund Freud you will know about the id, ego and super ego. Animals are governed almost completely by the id. Humans work mostly with the ego and the super ego but still ahve the id for mmore basic animal isntincts. So humanity is where divinity and an imality meet, well this is just an idea I'm playing around with to try and make sense of man's place in the world and with the animal kingdom. Perhaps it could incorporate a Christian understanding of evolution.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Consider this: this life is a shadow of things to come. What's the harm in believing we will spend eternity with our loved ones?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think the issue is whether or not animals are equal to humans or as high functioning - I think people are simply wondering if their animal companions,who have given and received love are going to be in heaven. As far as having a soul or not -Christianity teaches that the soul is our entire being - spirit and body. Animals have an energy that leaves them when they die and they have a body - I think they are souls. I am not claiming to know if they will be in heaven, but I sure hope so!

Now, I am embarrassed to admit that my reliable dog sitter is out of town this week and my wife and I are going on retreat at a local monastery so we are going to have to board our dogs for the weekend - as a farm boy, I am cringing at this but, the border is one of those fancy-pampering dogging hotel places - they have flat screen tvs in their rooms playing AnimalPlanet and room service - I wish I was kidding. The only reason we are doing this is because a friend of ours owns it. LOL - my wife and I don't even own a TV. So maybe dogs do go to heaven after all.....

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I had a Quaker Parrot for ten years. He dropped dead one day. I cried like a baby in front of my family. I had almost never cried in front of anyone my entire life. I guess I didn't realize how much I loved him. He could say anything most people could say. When my wife would come home he would start yelling, MOMMY, even before she would get to the front door. I cried nearly uncontrollably. It still hurts. I can't believe that I won't spend eternity with him.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
On that last post I was trying to establish the psition of humans. Now I did mention the Id and animals are completely governed by the Id, they have no real thoughts, jsut instincts so they don't even have the ego or the super-ego, not even the dolphins and chimps have them.

So if an animal exists solely with the id and doesn't ahv the higher capacity then I don't think it is possible for an animal to love. Dogs have loyalty because the respect their owners as leaders of the pack because that is where their food comes from. That's why they are loyal.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010

-- Sounds like the same voice of authority spoken when someone says, "The God I know would never send ANYONE to hell..."