What is the Holy Spirit called in Hebrew?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Siddhi Koli

Jun 14, 2022
Navi Mumbai
Faith
Christian
Country
India
In Judaism, the Holy Spirit (Hebrew: רוח הקודש, ruach ha-kodesh)

Ephesians 4:30 The Complete Jewish Bible

30 Don't cause grief to God's Ruach HaKodesh, for he has stamped you as his property until the day of final redemption.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

30 Don't cause grief to God's Ruach HaKodesh, for he has stamped you as his property until the day of final redemption.

You said it Siddhi, Ruach, and in Greek it is Pneuma

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ru-ach Ha--desh (emphasis in pronunciation is bolded) Used 55 times in the NT as the Holy spirit or Holy wind.

“The term “Holy Spirit” actually occurs only 3 times in the Hebrew Bible. The expression itself is literally “ your (God’s) Spirit of holiness” (;v=d+q* j^Wr, ruakh qodeshkha), but the Hebrew language often creates adjectival expressions by means of what is known as the construct genitive relationship between words (i.e., the construction “the…of…”; so the “Spirit of holiness” = “the Holy Spirit”)”

The first occurrence is in Ps 51:11, when David prays in penitence to the Lord, “Do not reject me! Do not take your Holy Spirit away from me!”.

The two other occurrences are in Isa 63:10 and 11, where the Lord refers to the Israelites as those who had grieved his Holy Spirit by rebelling against him even though he had so graciously delivered them in the days of old:

But they rebelled and offended his [H]oly Spirit,
so he turned into an enemy
and fought against them.
His people remembered the ancient times.
Where is the one who brought them up out of the sea,
along with the shepherd of his flock?
Where is the one who placed his [H]oly Spirit among them…

that is, if one includes instances where “the (my, your, his) Spirit” clearly refers to “the Spirit of the Lord/God” in the context.

1. The Holy Spirit in the Hebrew Bible and Its Connections to the New Testament | Bible.org

----------------------------------
And the term is used 23 times in a different form in the OT:: Ru-ach Adonai,- the Spirit of God. The wind of God.

His spirit is always presence in this world. It moves and lives from and for himself from beyond our space and view into us and into his creation.

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Behold, I send you out as sheep among wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils, and in their synagogues they will scourge you. Yes, and you will be brought before governor’s and kings for my sake, for a testimony to them and to the nations. But when they deliver you up, don’t be anxious how or what you will say, for it will be given you in that hour what you will say. For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.”

(Matthew 10:16-20, WEB)

Jesus is a Jewish monotheist. The God of a Jewish monotheist is only one person, the Father.

The God of Jesus is only one person, the Father.

In Jewish monotheism, the Spirit of your Father is the Spirit of your God.

The Holy Spirit is the Father’s Spirit, not another person who is God.

For a different understanding of the Holy Spirit, see post-biblical trinitarianism.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Behold, I send you out as sheep among wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils, and in their synagogues they will scourge you. Yes, and you will be brought before governor’s and kings for my sake, for a testimony to them and to the nations. But when they deliver you up, don’t be anxious how or what you will say, for it will be given you in that hour what you will say. For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.”

(Matthew 10:16-20, WEB)

Jesus is a Jewish monotheist. The God of a Jewish monotheist is only one person, the Father.

The God of Jesus is only one person, the Father.

In Jewish monotheism, the Spirit of your Father is the Spirit of your God.

The Holy Spirit is the Father’s Spirit, not another person who is God.

For a different understanding of the Holy Spirit, see post-biblical trinitarianism.
Well said Matthias. Either the Spirit of the Father is his Holy Spirit as scripture clearly states, and you produced a very example of it, or we rip his own Spirit or self out of himself, kind of impossible to do, and make it an artificial person as the Chalcedon councils forced down the throats of men under the threat of death.