What is the Purpose of the Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

manichunter

Jun 2, 2008
No contradition --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I was making light of the Scripture, trying to be funny. Lets study the read precept upon precept. People just want to see through the glasses of their already established beliefs. So lets look at the Scripture and match with its context and grammatic agreements. Lets break the Scripture down. LOL (This is how I study)Matt 5:17-2017 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heavenCame- Erchomai, to come from one place to anotherDestroy- Kataluo, to dissolve, disunite, to overthrow Law- Nomos, anything established, anything received by usage, a custom, a law, a command Prophets- Prophetes, in Greek writings, an interpreter of oracles or of other hidden things Fulfill- Pleroo, to make full, to render fullAssuredly- amen, firm, faithfulTil- unlessHeaven- Ouranos, the region above the sidereal heavens, the seat of order of things eternal Earth- Ge, the earth as a whole Pass- Parerchomai, to go past, perish an act continuing for a time Jot- Iota, the smallest of hebrew letters, startTittle- Keraia, used by grammarians of the accents and diacritical points. Jesus used it of the little lines or projections, by which the Hebrew letters in other respects similar differ from one another; the meaning is, "not even the minutest part of the law shall perish". No Means Ou me, never, certainly not, not at all, by no meansTeaches-Didasko, to impart instruction instill doctrine into one Breaks- Luo,to loosen, undo, dissolve, anything bound, Does-Poieo, to do to act rightly, do wellto carry out, to execute I was just being funny because the Scripture did not exclude either from making it to Heaven. It does state some ramifications for some particular actions. It is no secret in Christianity that the saints will be rewarded for their works of love in heaven (crowns, robes, jewels). I have no idea what these are and mean. We should not work for a reward, then it is not of love. God knows our motives......... That is what you see as a contradiction I think. I still adhere to the fact that torah does not impart right standing with God, earn reward based on works of duty (if people do something out of love then its not labor but an act of affection), or grant us any glory. NO ONE wants to admit that they have their own church and personal torahs. Is there one that will admit...........Bottom line- Even if Jesus came to our churches in person and told us that the spiritual torah was alive and applicable, most people would still reject it and not follow it, because they do not want it. The is what is behind our motives. We do not want any defined rules.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
manichunter said:
The is what is behind our motives. We do not want any defined rules.
how true your statement is.

bullfighter

Jan 21, 2008
(Jackie D;52717)
manichunter said: how true your statement is.
do we sin more so grace can grow ,no we are to uphold the law

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Mat 9:13 But go ye and learn what [that] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Thus we are saved by grace through repentance and belief the Law does not save it provides the rules by which we can liveGal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justifiedGal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, [it is] evident: for, The just shall live by faith. Gal 3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. Gal 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved

jtartar

Mar 14, 2008
The Mosaic Law Covenant was given only to the Jews, Deut 4:6-8,Deut 5:1-3, Deut 7:6, Ex 19:5,6, Ps 147:19,20. The Mosaic Law Covenant was an Interim covenant, it was only to last until Jesus came, fulfilled it, and instituted the New Covenant, on the night before his death, as the Great Ransom Sacrifice, to take away the sin of the world, John 1:19, Matt 20:28, Jere 31:31-34, Heb 8:13. This Law was given as a protection of the people and to show them that they needed a ransomer, because they were sinners, and the blood of goats and bulls could not take away sins completely from men, Rom 7:7-11, Heb 10:11, Acts 13:38,39. Jesus was born under the Law Covenant, Gal 4:4,5. Jesus fulfilled the Law completely and it came to an end at his death, Col 2:13,14,Rom 7:4-6. All those under the Mosaic Law Covenant were under a curse, because they could not obey it perfectly, Rom 2:13, so they were all condemned to death, Gal 3:10-13, Rom 4:13-15, Acts 15:6-11. Jesus came to remove the Mosaic Law and set up the New Covenant that was based on much better promises, because it was eatabolished on Jesus' blood, which was much better than the blood of goats and bulls, Heb 8:6-13, Luke 22:19,20, 1Cor 11:25, Heb 9:11-15. Paul several times mentioned that he was NOT under the Law Covenant. If the Law Covenant was still in effect Paul would have been under it, because he was born a Jew, 1Cor 9:20, Rom 6:14,15. Paul mentioned that the NATIONS were not under the Mosaic Law, Rom 2:14. The word COVENANT means, BETWEENNESS, it is only in force between the ones mentioned in the Covenant. The Mosaic Law mentioned only God and the Jews, Deut 5:1-3. Actually, a much more important Covenant was put in force between God and Abraham, a covenant that would bless all the nations of the earth, Gen 22:18, Gal 3:8,9.