What is the Star of David?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

thereistruth

Aug 27, 2008
I have often been intrigued by the 'Star of David', and wondered why it was adopted for the national symbol of modern Israel rather than the more traditional and ancient symbol - the 'Minorah' or seven-fold candle stick. Any thoughts?I found this site with an interesting viewpoint: http://www.menorah.org/starofdavid.html

Alpha and Omega

May 11, 2008
I briefly read that the star of David is a Satanic symbol. It had something to do with the 6 points on it. It really has nothing to do with David as it was never mentioned in the BIble. Something important like this symbol you would think it would be mentioned./

thereistruth

Aug 27, 2008
Yes, the website I linked to mentions that. It is important I think, because symbolism adopted by countries on their flags speaks alot about the political and cultural emphasis of the founders. Flags and coats of arms make for very interesting study. I might spend some time studying modern Israel from a political perspective rather than from a biblical one.

Mighty Bear

Oct 20, 2007
It got two triangles, the inverted triangle is the symbol of the Holy Spirit with the top leveled meaning being equal with God and the triangle (pyramid) is the symbol of King Solomon, when you put them together you form the Star of David. It is the symbol of the Messiah, the Son of David, the firstborn of all creation.Colossians 1:15 ESV He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.It got six rays, on the sixth day God created man in His own image.Numbers in the BibleZero means perfect (perfect circle)One means unityTwo means marriageThree means creation (three heavens)Four means the corners of the worldFive means children, starsSix means man, the sixth day, Star of DavidSeven means completionEight means two circles, eternityNine means angels, cat, lionsTen means perfect ten, the law, although it's the same as one plus zero.When reading the Bible, treat numbers as symbols and not as quantities, for example, 1,000 years of peace means, 1 (unity) plus 3 zeros (creation) meaning united creation, harmony.

1 of 3 Martyrs

Feb 4, 2008
Here's how I understand it. Remember even the cross gets abused by occult groups.The star of David wasn't created until after the cross, but I think it is a beautiful symbol in this way.(btw I am a messianic Jew)The star is made up of equilateral triangles representing the trinity, three equal sides, one triangle.One is pointing to heaven, the other to earth, representing the God of heaven and earth.Where the 2 intersect, 6 smaller equilateral triangles are "created" symbolizing man created on the 6th day in God's image.The 6 smaller triangles joined together form the 12 sided star of David, symbolic of the 12 tribes of Israel, the 12 Apostles.Messiah Yeshua is the Star of David, the Star of Jacob, the bright and morning Star.Num 24:17 I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.

thereistruth

Aug 27, 2008
Thank you for that explanation. It makes sense. Sometimes we can be tempted to see the negative application of symbols. In fact this is true even of the Swastika of the Nazis. In early times it was a symbol of prosperity and positivity, and even appeared on one US army battalion's shoulder patches prior to WWII. But the Nazi regime turned it into a symbol of horror and evil. Such is the nature of things in the world. Symbols can be altered in their meaning.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(1 of 3 Martyrs;57980)
Here's how I understand it. Remember even the cross gets abused by occult groups.The star of David wasn't created until after the cross, but I think it is a beautiful symbol in this way.(btw I am a messianic Jew)The star is made up of equilateral triangles representing the trinity, three equal sides, one triangle.One is pointing to heaven, the other to earth, representing the God of heaven and earth.Where the 2 intersect, 6 smaller equilateral triangles are "created" symbolizing man created on the 6th day in God's image.The 6 smaller triangles joined together form the 12 sided star of David, symbolic of the 12 tribes of Israel, the 12 Apostles.Messiah Yeshua is the Star of David, the Star of Jacob, the bright and morning Star.Num 24:17 I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.
Yes, being a math-type geek myself, I also saw on my own accord the numbers in the star of David that you mentioned, i.e. the numbers 1,2,3,6,7,and 12 for sure. For example, the hexagon in the middle creates 6 equilateral triangles each one the same area as each star point, hence the number "12" since the star can be created using 12 small equilateral triangles. I believe a long time ago I also did some geometric calculations as well, but I forgot what I got as the results. This will be a little project for one night in the future where I feel like calculating a little. It should be fun to see if it yields any other neat results such as the golden ratio or something to that effect.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I heard something interesting today on this that they found old first centery pottery that had the starr of David depicted as the Menorah with its triangled bottom something like ^ this but with a bottom line making a triange then the fish symbol with tail which is triangle if the fish is deptcted hanging upside down and the two triangle intersect each other the two triangles of the bottom of the Menorah and the fish tail make a Star of Daviv showing the joining of Jew and ChristianHope I explained that ok I dont know how to draw it:)

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Here's a link to the pottery Kriss is talking about. Quite interesting. I've never seen this design before.http://www.olimpublications.com/MessianicSeal.htmAnd may I add, this is another one of the many subtle clues the bible gives: the age of Pisces connected with Christianity and also Ephraim and Manasseh were to multiply in the midst of the earth (the marginal reading is "like fishes" indicating that this would also occur during the Christian age of Pisces).However, the dawning of the age of Aquarius is coming, and I suspect that is linked to the millennium and these prophecies must take place before then.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(kriss;58655)
I agree Tim and thanks for finding the PIC
You're welcome. I have a knack for search engines and can usually find anything. However, one does not know what to search for unless one is made aware of something to search to begin with. I thank you for that!