What Is This Dispensation I Keep Hearing About?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Sorry Guys, I don't mean to be posting so much, I just am one of those people that have a lot to say or a lot of questions, and there's no one besides my wife around that I can talk to about Scripture. Anyway,,What is this "Dispensation" that I keep hearing about? Will someone please explain what this is? Thanks.

LanceEh

Feb 23, 2009
QUOTE (WhiteKnuckle @ Mar 31 2009, 10:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71519
Sorry Guys, I don't mean to be posting so much, I just am one of those people that have a lot to say or a lot of questions, and there's no one besides my wife around that I can talk to about Scripture. Anyway,,What is this "Dispensation" that I keep hearing about? Will someone please explain what this is? Thanks.
Dispensational theology is that God deals with people in different ways at different times. According to most, our current dispensation is Grace, or the grace dispensation. Does that make more sense?God bless.

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
1) The Greek OIKONOMIA which means Dispensatrion is found 6 places in the word of God, and all written by Paul.2) OIKONOMIA is a Greek compound word , OIKOS means House and Nomos means Law , so you can say house rules or the Laws of the House , and don't confuse it with economy, administration, dispensing , or stewship , because those that are anti-dispensational use these words to dilute what Paul is writing about .3) #1 , 1 Cor 9:17 , For since I should pracitice this of my own will, I have a reward , and since I have been entrusted with a dispensation which is not of my own will . 4) #2 , Col 1:25 , of which I became a servant according to the

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
1) The Greek OIKONOMIA which means Dispensatrion is found 6 places in the word of God, and all written by Paul.2) OIKONOMIA is a Greek compound word , OIKOS means House and Nomos means Law , so you can say house rules or the Laws of the House , and don't confuse it with economy, administration, dispensing , or stewardship , because those that are anti-dispensational use these words to dilute what Paul is writing about .3) #1 , 1 Cor 9:17 , For since I should pracitice this of my own will, I have a reward , and since I have been entrusted with a dispensation which is not of my own will . 4) #2 , Col 1:25 , of which I became a servant according to the Dispensation of God , the one having been given to me for you , to complete the Word of God .5) #3 , Eph 1:10 , with a view to the Dispensation of the fulness of times , to head up the all things in Christ , both the things in the heavens and the things upon the earth in Him .6) #4 , Eph 3:2 , seeing that you have heard of the Dispensation ( I believe that Paul means Rom 16:25 ) of the grace of God given to me for YOU . 7) #5 , Eph 3:9 , and to illuminate all as to what is the Dispensation of the Mystery , the one having been kept SECRET from the AGES in God , the One having created the all things by Jesus Christ . 8) #6 , 1 Tim 1:4 , the word Edifying , is NOT in the Greek text , for it is the Greek word OIKONOMIA , which is the word Dispensation and the last part should read , rather than God's Dispensation , the one by faith . So to me , to be in the faith , follow Paul and what he says Dispensationally .9) So what is it that has me so excited ? 10) Jesus reached down and saved Paul , and began a new message , which is the Dispensation of the Grace of God .So what is the Dispensation of the Mystery ?11) It is found in Eph 3:6 , that the Gentiles are to be joint heirs and members of a joint body and joint parthers of his promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel . 12) Paul is the Only one who could say in Gal 3:28 , There cannot be Jew nor Greek , there cannot be slave nor free, there cannot be male and female , for you are ALL one in Christ .13) The 12 , could never say this , ONLY Paul . And we were all chosen in Christ BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE world , so there were Dispensations before creation , in Eph 1:4 and in 2 Tim 1:9 and this just a brief explanation of Dispensationalism .

LanceEh

Feb 23, 2009
Here are two verses that a lot of people use.Colossians 1:25 "Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God"Ephesians 3:2 "If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward"God bless.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Okay, I should've reak the post about the greek word. I never thought too far into the dispensation deal. I always thought it was more the dispensation of knowledge and or Gifts of the Holy Spirit. I read the dispensation of Grace before too, I just figured it was God dispensing grace, as in handing it out. Yet another thing I should study deeper. Thanks!

bethog

Mar 29, 2009
QUOTE (WhiteKnuckle @ Apr 1 2009, 04:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71519
I do not think you need to apologize for posting too much and because you have questions. I suppose that this is way there are forums like this for people to relate and fellowship.Dispensationalism is a specific Christian theological view that teaches specific periods of time called dispensations form the framework through which God relates to mankind. Dispensationalism is a Protestant evangelical theology and interpretive framework for understanding the overall flow of the Bible. Rooted in the writings of John Nelson Darby, the term derives from the concept of a "dispensation" or administration referring to a series of chronologically successive dispensations that emphasize certain Biblical covenants, and that the nation of Israel is distinct from the Church. Most believe that God is going to fulfill His promises to national Israel in the process of Israel being revitalized, that Christ will rule the world from there upon His return, and they deny the teachings of Replacement Theology (supersessionism). The teachings of Dispensationalism contain a distinctive eschatological "end times" component, as all dispensationalists hold to premillennialism and most hold to the pretribulation rapture. In other areas of theology, dispensationalists hold to a wide range of beliefs within the evangelical and fundamentalist spectrum. (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Thanks Bethog.I just did some reading on dispensation. I'm thinking we're making this all more difficult than we need to. As far as the Idea that Israel is different than the Christian church. As in the Jews can still go by the Mosaic law to gain salvation. How can this be true? Jesus answered him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one goes to the Father except through me." John 14:6Also in Romans-3:29-29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30 since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one. Just by this alone, there is no distinction between Jews or Gentiles. This leads me to believe that there is no more "special promise" or "different promise" that was ever made to any man other than salvation through Jesus.I see the confusion for many here too, But by these below, how is it that the Jews will obtain salvation or special favor by God on their own? That's the "Meat" definately.Mathew 5:17- "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."Also this, Romans 3:31-"Do we then nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law." Very interesting is it not?Matt 5:19 "Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."Galatians 3:1-"You foolish Galatians! Who put you under a spell? Was not Jesus the Messiah clearly portrayed before your very eyes as having been crucified? 2I want to learn only one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by doing[a] the works of the law or by believing what you heard?"So, by this and many other verses we get several different doctrines.The confusion seems to me about obedience to God. The questions are, Are we required to obey the Law? If so What is the Law? What if you're disobedient? How is the Law Fullfilled and How do we establish the law?The statement and doctrine most commonly accepted is this, "We are saved by Grace. But if we don't obey the Law we will go to hell"So, we have Calvinism, Amillenianism, Lutheran, Catholic, SDA, etc etc...............It seems clear to me, that, The law was fullfilled by Jesus death and resurection. Why do you think God required so much death and what not in the flesh of man for disobedience? That's our penalty for sin. They had to sacrifice for the remissions of sin. Sacrifice was the attonement, and a temporary way for the burden of the punishment to be resolved, also a prophesy. Matthew 9:13-" but Learn what this means: 'I want mercy, not sacrifices.' I've come to call sinners, not people who think they have God's approval."So, here we all wonder what this means. "What? Why are we required to obey?"Mercy to me is, God doesn't want us to die and bear the burden of our sins. By that there is no reconciliation to him. Our penalty is death and destruction, as God was rightly serving out all throughout the OT. God's mercy was also rightly serving out all throughout the OT, a good example is Lot and Sodam and Gomorah, Didn't God tell Lot to leave? Didn't God tell Lot he would destroy those cities?, Did Lot say, "Oh, okay Lord, let me just grab my things." Nope. Lot knew by FAITH, the MERCY of God and Petitioned him, "Lord, what If I find even 1 righteous person, will you spare the cities?" The Lord replied, "Yes, if you find even 1 righteous, I will not destroy them" Even though God knew there was none, he still showed his mercy.So, that is mercy, God took upon himself in the form of the Lord Jesus Christ, the full penalty of our sins. "There is now no condemnation for those in Christ" By that we're not bound by the law, meaning, there is no punishment for those who are in Christ. By us saying, that if we sin, we go to hell, even after professing belief in Christ and his death and resurection for remittance of sins, we are putting ourselves back under the law and condeming ourselves.The reason obedience is required? That is the love of the Lord, to obey his commands" (I know it's in the NT somewhere, I just can't find it right now) The Law is Christ Crucified, the redemption is Christ resurection. Put simply, that's why I put on that post, the simplest answer to the most complicated question.We obey because we believe! We are being conformed to the likeness of Christ, through "The renewal of our mind". The bible is a guide, and a history, and Gods word, a way of God to reveal himself to us. 1 John 2:1- "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:"Whew! that took a lot to type. But, by this, we see, (for those that like lists)1: There is no other special promise or any other way for Jews to reconcile themselves to God.2: The law and the requirements there of were fullfilled by Jesus death and resurection3: We are not under the law, and to require that anyone obey as a way to gain salvation or favor, is putting themselves under the law and condems themselves. This denies the power of the Cross and "treats Jesus blood as a common thing"4: We obey, because we believe. We are compelled to obey, and are being conformed in the likeness of Jesus Christ by the renewing of our minds through the Holy Spirit.5: There is no dispensation, as the means of, God does for whoever by whatever.This is what I'm understanding out of all this Dispensational deal. Is there something I'm missing?

bethog

Mar 29, 2009
QUOTE (WhiteKnuckle @ Apr 2 2009, 01:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71567
1: There is no other special promise or any other way for Jews to reconcile themselves to God.2: The law and the requirements there of were fullfilled by Jesus death and resurection3: We are not under the law, and to require that anyone obey as a way to gain salvation or favor, is putting themselves under the law and condems themselves. This denies the power of the Cross and "treats Jesus blood as a common thing"4: We obey, because we believe. We are compelled to obey, and are being conformed in the likeness of Jesus Christ by the renewing of our minds through the Holy Spirit.5: There is no dispensation, as the means of, God does for whoever by whatever.
Yes, “There is no other special promise or any other way for Jews to reconcile themselves to God” as Jesus is the only way. And for keeping the law or being obedient, we do not live as in the Old Testament “under the law”, but we do have a relationship with God and therefore we want to please Him and do what is pleasing in His sight. Therefore we live by what Jesus said, and this result in keeping the law. Matthew 22:37-40 (New King James Version)37 Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
So, by this way, If I'm infact understanding this Dispensationalism doctrine, I think it's just another one of those ways men try to explain what they do not understand in a way that makes them seem like they understand, and a way to make them feel better about people "lost in the Jungle". It's kinda what Billy Graham and Oprah has been teaching lately I guess.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (WhiteKnuckle @ Apr 1 2009, 06:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71573
So, by this way, If I'm infact understanding this Dispensationalism doctrine, I think it's just another one of those ways men try to explain what they do not understand in a way that makes them seem like they understand, and a way to make them feel better about people "lost in the Jungle". It's kinda what Billy Graham and Oprah has been teaching lately I guess.
Not exactly, Dispensationalism is pretty much about God's time frame. His time frame and our time frame is not the same. Our days is 24 hours. God's days are highly really different...II Peter 3:8 - But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
QUOTE (Jordan @ Apr 1 2009, 07:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71587
Not exactly, Dispensationalism is pretty much about God's time frame. His time frame and our time frame is not the same. Our days is 24 hours. God's days are highly really different...II Peter 3:8 - But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
The time line was a big part of it, but what I gathered is that the time line is in direct relation of the second coming of Christ, the supposed promise to the Jews that was not fullfilled, (although Jesus the Messiah was the promise). The time seemed concerned with, When exactly did God establish each covenant. Which to me doesn't matter exactly when. But, in that respect, it's obviously faith that was from the beginning. It was also about the dispensation of Gods salvation and grace according to what each person understands, (such as, well, if you've never heard of Jesus, then you're going to heaven cause God revealed himself in that cornstalk you're worshiping, cause that's what you understand, and it doesn't rain bibles in the rain forest of Brazil). Also, what I got from it, was, God only gives a little bit of Grace to one a bunch to another, and none to someone else. So, for each person a serving, like God is up there with a measuring cup.Maybe I'm missing something. I usually am.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (WhiteKnuckle @ Apr 1 2009, 07:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71589
QUOTE (Jordan @ Apr 1 2009, 07:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71587
The time line was a big part of it, but what I gathered is that the time line is in direct relation of the second coming of Christ, the supposed promise to the Jews that was not fullfilled, (although Jesus the Messiah was the promise). The time seemed concerned with, When exactly did God establish each covenant. Which to me doesn't matter exactly when. But, in that respect, it's obviously faith that was from the beginning. It was also about the dispensation of Gods salvation and grace according to what each person understands, (such as, well, if you've never heard of Jesus, then you're going to heaven cause God revealed himself in that cornstalk you're worshiping, cause that's what you understand, and it doesn't rain bibles in the rain forest of Brazil). Also, what I got from it, was, God only gives a little bit of Grace to one a bunch to another, and none to someone else. So, for each person a serving, like God is up there with a measuring cup.Maybe I'm missing something. I usually am.Yes, you are missing something. God's Timeline is not directly a relation to Christ's Second Coming. It a direct relation to us to understand the whole plan of God. God's Timeline is a direct relation to His entirety of His plan, not just the Second Coming. Those Jews that know not Christ, yet they preserve His Laws, the remnant of them shall be saved.They are some examples where God's timeline all over the bible. I hope I can help you.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Paul says to the Corinthians that there are three groups of people in the world: the Jew, the Greek (or Gentile) and the church of God. These are important distinctions when interpreting Scripture.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (farouk @ Apr 1 2009, 08:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71595
Paul says to the Corinthians that there are three groups of people in the world: the Jew, the Greek (or Gentile) and the church of God. These are important distinctions when interpreting Scripture.
No, there are only two. The house of Judah, (Jews) The House of Israel (Gentiles) and these two makes up church of God when they accept Christ and follow His Word only. Where on Earth did you see three groups... I only see two all through out the bible.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Okay Jordan.I'll take you up on this. Please explain to me why knowing Gods timeline has anything to do with anything. I'm speaking as just strictly the time line, as knowing the signs of the times is important.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (WhiteKnuckle @ Apr 1 2009, 08:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71603
Okay Jordan.I'll take you up on this. Please explain to me why knowing Gods timeline has anything to do with anything. I'm speaking as just strictly the time line, as knowing the signs of the times is important.
Besides the Millennium Reign (1000 years = 1 Day to God)How long ago did Christ died at the cross? Isn't some 2,000 years ago? (2 Days ago to God)How old did Adam die? Did not God say to him if he ate the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil" thou shalt surely die? (Genesis 2:17) Did Adam die less than 1,000 years? Did everybody else die less that 1,000 years?These are only some of the examples.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
QUOTE (Jordan @ Apr 1 2009, 08:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71607
Besides the Millennium Reign (1000 years = 1 Day to God)How long ago did Christ died at the cross? Isn't some 2,000 years ago? (2 Days ago to God)How old did Adam die? Did not God say to him if he ate the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil" thou shalt surely die? (Genesis 2:17) Did Adam die less than 1,000 years? Did everybody else die less that 1,000 years?These are only some of the examples.
Okay, yeah, I've heard that. I'm not so sure I subscribe to it though. "Thou shalt surely die?" He died spiritualy that day. Although his physical life was slightly less than 1000 years. How does this help though? What are we to gain by this? is my question.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (WhiteKnuckle @ Apr 1 2009, 09:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71608
QUOTE (Jordan @ Apr 1 2009, 08:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=71607
Okay, yeah, I've heard that. I'm not so sure I subscribe to it though. "Thou shalt surely die?" He died spiritualy that day. Although his physical life was slightly less than 1000 years. How does this help though? What are we to gain by this? is my question.Yes Adam did die spiritually, at the same time while he only live 930 years, (Genesis 5:5) he literally die less than a single full day in God's time. As I continue to study and grow... some scriptures has a double meaning to it.Genesis 2:17 - But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely dieBut it is okay if you disagree with me WhiteKnuckle... all I can say is put it in the shelf for now as some of these scriptures deals with II Peter 3:8.