What is unbelievable about the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a point I make to unbelievers all the time. The reasonable standard for faith is akin to the civil trial standard of "more likely than not."
Very good observation, @Wrangler.

When I deliver closing arguments to juries in civil cases, I describe the "preponderance of the evidence" burden by contrasting it with the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard of criminal cases. I say something like "In the criminal standard 'beyond a reasonable doubt,' a 'reasonable doubt' is one you can give a reason for that makes even a little sense to you. But for 'preponderance of the evidence' you can entertain lots of doubt, even if the reasons you entertain those doubts make a lot of sense to you. Just put those doubts on one side of Lady Justice's balance scale, and if the other side of the scale is still tilting lower, the burden of proof is met."

There is room for "faith" on this test.

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's not any mistery on Jesus eating and drinking in a material/physical body when he was already a spirit. Angels did the same in ancient times, like the ones who came to see Abraham (Gen. 18). There are many of them in the Scriptures. Why is it that difficult for some to understand what Jesus did after being resurrected?
Hello ElieG12, we know that the Lord's resurrection was a physical/bodily one (the tomb was empty, yes?), so this seems pretty different from angels making temporary appearances to us in the form of human beings (after all, while He came from Heaven, He was also born here, just like we are).

Also, I don't believe that there is as much of a misunderstanding here as there is an interest in knowing all that we can about the One who was resurrected before us, as our human bodies will be like His is now, no longer perishable, but fitted for eternal life on the New Earth with Him.

As I'm sure you know, we will not be non-corporeal spirits or apparitions floating about in the heavens in the eternity to come (following the general resurrection, that is), rather, we will live on the New Earth (a physical realm) in God's very presence, which is why both He and we will have physical bodies (granted, bodies that are, again, quite different from the perishable ones that we now possess).

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

A New Heaven and a New Earth
Revelation 21
1 I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.
2 I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying:
Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man,
and He will dwell with them.
They will be His people,
and God Himself will be with them as their God.
4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes,
and there will be no more death
or mourning or crying or pain,
for the former things have passed away.”

Last edited: