What is unbelievable about the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was driving home and realized this is an unbelievable part of the Bible; how little is written about Jesus 40 days after being resurrected.

If anything deserved to be logged, it is every exchange with Jesus from the time he was resurrected until his ascension.

What do we have is few of his first meeting people, cooking fish at the Sea of Galilee and his final words. You'd think there'd be a sermon far bigger than the one on the mount. Does it make sense to you that so little is written during this time?

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was driving home and realized this is an unbelievable part of the Bible; how little is written about Jesus 40 days after being resurrected.

If anything deserved to be logged, it is every exchange with Jesus from the time he was resurrected until his ascension.

What do we have is few of his first meeting people, cooking fish at the Sea of Galilee and his final words. You'd think there'd be a sermon far bigger than the one on the mount. Does it make sense to you that so little is written during this time?
Why would Jesus teach anything other than what he spent his ministry teaching?

Saint of Light

Aug 22, 2023
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is one part of the Bible that confused me quite a bit at first.

Luke 14:27 says, “And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.”

However, Jesus did not get crucified until the 23rd chapter of Luke.

I researched this and found out it isn’t a contradiction. It’s actually a mistranslation of an idiom from the language Jesus used.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

'If they don't believe Moses and the Prophets they wont believe even if one rose from the dead' Luke 16:31

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'If they don't believe Moses and the Prophets they wont believe even if one rose from the dead' Luke 16:31
Really?! You are comparing believing Jesus is the Messiah but not believing they didn’t write every single of the 40-day post resurrection experiences in detail to not believing Jesus is the Messiah?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Really?! You are comparing believing Jesus is the Messiah but not believing they didn’t write every single of the 40-day post resurrection experiences in detail to not believing Jesus is the Messiah?
We have sufficient witness and witnesses.

John 21:25
There are many more things Jesus did. If they were all written down, I suppose the whole world could not contain the books that would be written.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have sufficient witness and witnesses.

John 21:25
There are many more things Jesus did. If they were all written down, I suppose the whole world could not contain the books that would be written.
Hyperbole is not really responsive to the point.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hyperbole is not really responsive to the point.
Isn't it strange how one man can consider certain information as insight and another as hyperbole? I suppose therein lies the freedom to choose how we see.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

As a student of God’s word, and believing that the whole Bible is a product of his holy spirit, what is contained in it, is sufficient for what we NEED to know, as opposed to what we WANT to know.

In appointing his “faithful and discreet slave” (Matt 24:45) Jesus tells us that through this body of his servants, what is served is “food at the proper time”. IOW…what we need to know is given when we need to know it.
Revelation and understanding of Bible truths has always been progressive, so patience always yields that truth at the right time, if we are tuned into God’s wavelength.

Through the prophet Daniel, God said that at this “time of the end” “knowledge would become abundant”…(Daniel 12:4) so we are living at a time when we know more now than we ever have. Is it all there is to know? If we pass muster, then we will have eternity to find out….just imagine what is still to come….!

Reactions: TheHC

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a student of God’s word, and believing that the whole Bible is a product of his holy spirit, what is contained in it, is sufficient for what we NEED to know, as opposed to what we WANT to know.
The question is not about sufficient @quietthinker and @Aunty Jane but believability of what is not written.

Imagine seeing a guy return from the dead for 40-days? All you write is a few introductions and final words? You wouldn’t record every days interactions? Every conversation Jesus had with Mary, Peter, John, James and the multitudes?

The record is astonishingly sketchy when you think about the greatest miracle of all time. Again, its not about sufficiency, need or want but believability. Do you believe you would record so little of the interactions of the son of god after being resurrected into a glorified body??? Really?!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The question is not about sufficient @quietthinker and @Aunty Jane but believability of what is not written.

Imagine seeing a guy return from the dead for 40-days? All you write is a few introductions and final words? You wouldn’t record every days interactions? Every conversation Jesus had with Mary, Peter, John, James and the multitudes?

The record is astonishingly sketchy when you think about the greatest miracle of all time. Again, its not about sufficiency, need or want but believability. Do you believe you would record so little of the interactions of the son of god after being resurrected into a glorified body??? Really?!
I suppose we need to ask ourselves, do we want entertaining or do we want rescue?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

From my perspective, Wrangler, what we were told is enough…you seem to be complaining that it isn’t enough…..the resurrection of Jesus Christ pales when compared to his death…it is his death that he told us to memorialize…”keep doing this in remembrance of me”….his resurrection simply facilitated his ascension to the Father, raised in a spirit body so as to enter heaven itself to present the value of his sacrifice before our God.
Hebrews 9:24…
”For Christ did not enter into a holy place made with hands, which is a copy of the reality, but into heaven itself, so that he now appears before God on our behalf.”

Perhaps there was a lot more written, but not included in scripture……or perhaps it was God‘s will that not a lot be written about his resurrection so as not to detract from the significance of his death.

Reactions: TheHC

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Christian Bible gives us all we need to know to obtain salvation and know God / Jesus.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the resurrection of Jesus Christ pales when compared to his death
Completely backwards. All men die, only Jesus rose again in a glorified body.

This explains why the most important day of the year among Christians is Resurrection Sunday (aka Easter).

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you please explain what "believability of what is NOT written" means? What are the unwritten propositions whose truth or falsity is in question?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you please explain what "believability of what is NOT written" means? What are the unwritten propositions whose truth or falsity is in question?
See OP. If you met someone who came from from the dead who stayed with you for 40 days, would you only write their introductory and concluding remarks on Day 1 and Day 40 or would you record each day?

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See OP. If you met someone who came from from the dead who stayed with you for 40 days, would you only write their introductory and concluding remarks on Day 1 and Day 40 or would you record each day?
Ah. You didn't mean "believability of what is not written" but rather "believability of what is not sufficiently written about."

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So here is the OP's argument, as I understand it:

(1) If Jesus spent 40 post-resurrection days on the planet hobnobbing with his disciples and others, some of them, whether the writers of the (canonical) gospels or other writers, would have documented his post-resurrection affairs in far more detail than what we now see in that tome we call the Bible or in any apocryphal writings of that era.

(2) They didn't.

Therefore,

(3) Jesus did NOT spend 40 post-resurrection days on the planet hobnobbing with his disciples and others.

Do I have this right, Wrangler? Your contention is that (3) follows from (1) and (2)?

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Who decided what "deserved" to be logged? No man certainly... although God certainly used man in the process.

Why was it do we suppose that God believed we "deserved" to have anything written? God chose His Way. Could any one of us or even all of us do it better?

Why do we insist on inserting our doubts as if God may have overlooked something or as if we may have come with a better plan even in part than what He included in His Plan?

Isa 55:8For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
Isa 55:9For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Who inspired the Bible to be written? Did He leave anything out that men needed to hear or to know from the Scriptures? Are we to live only by knowledge of what men were inspired to write or...?

Ro 1:17For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith
And faith is what...?

Heb 11:1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Many things may have been left out according to men... but according to God what is there that man needs to know versus what man wants to know?

As we become like Him [assuming that we do] will we not know more answers and even have perhaps more questions, which are answered?

Patience is...?

Reactions: Aunty Jane and Azim