What is worship?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years ago I was part of a "worship team," just a small group of singers invited by a " worship leader" to sing hymns, praise and worship songs to give the rest of the congregation voices to follow to sing along with. I've always thought that singing was a way to engage the heart in worship, but that's only my personal perspective.
Jesus said, "God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."
So what constitutes worship? What is personal worship and how does it differ from congregational worship?

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Cute-Dog-Nose.png

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting photo, but somehow I think worship goes beyond a dog's curiosity or affection. I looked up the word "worship" in Merriam-Webster's dictionary and their definition includes " showing love and adoration ", but I suppose what I'm after is "how does one show love and adoration to a person that can't be seen or touched?" Is showing love and adoration to the body of Christ worship? Part of the dictionary definition goes to the old English word and usage and includes the idea of "being worthy" , so is the church "worthy" of the love and adoration due God?
It's pretty clear from the commandment that we are to worship God alone, so what is worship and how do we worship God in spirit and in truth?

Last edited:

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well worship is nothing to do with music bands at the start of sevice. Jesus worshiped God all His days on earth. What ever Jesus done you do. every thing Jesus done for people you do. Really simple. Yes you can worship God in song and dance. But the whole concept of worship is lost today. as most Christains think they are worshiping God as they sing along with the music band.
Jesus walked in spirit and truth always.
When you forget your self and take no offence like Christ did thats worship.
Love takes No account of a sufferd wrong. Thats worship.
When you actully allow Jesus to be your sure rock and defence thats worship. But we all defend our selves as can be seen in here almost every post. Because we are so hurt by other people posts. Thats flesh and self and total opposite of worship.
So much anger in Christians.

Reactions: amadeus

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well worship is nothing to do with music bands at the start of sevice. Jesus worshiped God all His days on earth. What ever Jesus done you do. every thing Jesus done for people you do. Really simple. Yes you can worship God in song and dance. But the whole concept of worship is lost today. as most Christains think they are worshiping God as they sing along with the music band.
Jesus walked in spirit and truth always.
When you forget your self and take no offence like Christ did thats worship.
Love takes No account of a sufferd wrong. Thats worship.

When you actully allow Jesus to be your sure rock and defence thats worship. But we all defend our selves as can be seen in here almost every post. Because we are so hurt by other people posts. Thats flesh and self and total opposite of worship.
So much anger in Christians.
Wrong.

God gave us a pretty complete understanding of what "worship" is in the 2nd Commandment.
Worship is to idolize something as a god. Anything less than that is NOT worship.

FAR too many of you are confused on this matter.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Interesting photo, but somehow I think worship goes beyond a dog's curiosity or affection. I looked up the word "worship" in Merriam-Webster's dictionary and their definition includes " showing love and adoration ", but I suppose what I'm after is "how does one show love and adoration to a person that can't be seen or touched?" Is showing love and adoration to the body of Christ worship? Part of the dictionary definition goes to the old English word and usage and includes the idea of "being worthy" , so is the church "worthy" of the love and adoration due God?
It's pretty clear from the commandment that we are to worship God alone, so what is worship and how do we worship God in spirit and in truth?
ha well we don't have a popcorn emoji lol, hence Fido. And a dog's affection might save your life one day lol, so hol' up. A dog's curiosity and affection might even be the perfect model here lol, at least mar...coupled with knowledge.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years ago I was part of a "worship team," just a small group of singers invited by a " worship leader" to sing hymns, praise and worship songs to give the rest of the congregation voices to follow to sing along with. I've always thought that singing was a way to engage the heart in worship, but that's only my personal perspective.
Jesus said, "God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."
So what constitutes worship? What is personal worship and how does it differ from congregational worship?

though there are religious connotations to worship there is also these in the definition in the OED:

To invest with, raise to, honour or repute; to confer honour or dignity upon
To treat with signs of honour or respect;
To regard with extreme respect or devotion; to ‘adore’.

but if you want to see true worship in all its glory watch the teenaged girls at a teen heart throb concert like when the beetles first came to the US.

that's unbridled worship.

but it still comes down to admiration and respect for and love of. see King David's psalms.

many relate praise to worship. but again see King David's praise of his God.

the same could be said of a grandmother who loves and praises a grandchild and speaks such praises about that child to anyone who will listen.

the things is what is it that you love and respect and admire about the Lord your God?

what was it about Jesus that brought that woman to her knees and washed His feet with her hair right where they were without regard for anything else going on? what? because she may have been a sinner? so was everyone else in the room, why didn't they do or even feel the same?

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I view a perfect sunset or gaze at the majesty of a mountain range and my heart is filled with awe of and thanks to the One who created them, is that worshipping in spirit and in truth? How does that translate to congregational worship? I wonder about the biblical descriptions of "as a sound of many waters" and ask if it's possible for God's creation to be tuned to each other through the Spirit of God. Looking at the world we seem so far from it. Does group prayer align our spirits with His? I've heard whole congregations singing in tune and harmoniously with another in devotion to our Christ and the beauty of the moment fades with the song. Is this worship?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I view a perfect sunset or gaze at the majesty of a mountain range and my heart is filled with awe of and thanks to the One who created them, is that worshipping in spirit and in truth? How does that translate to congregational worship? I wonder about the biblical descriptions of "as a sound of many waters" and ask if it's possible for God's creation to be tuned to each other through the Spirit of God. Looking at the world we seem so far from it. Does group prayer align our spirits with His? I've heard whole congregations singing in tune and harmoniously with another in devotion to our Christ and the beauty of the moment fades with the song. Is this worship?

Good deep meaning post...
Watching this space...