What is your calling?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, we are all called to love God and neighbor, but how do you choose to express this calling? Is there a specific population you feel called to serve? Is there a story about serving that encouraged you and help you decide where you could serve most effectively/with joy?

I am called to pray and to practice hospitality. When I fall away from my practice, I feel drawn back to it because I miss the relationship I have with God and my neighbors. It’s not guilt; i feel like I am missing out so this is how I recognize my calling - joy.

Please share!

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Yes, we are all called to love God and neighbor, but how do you choose to express this calling? Is there a specific population you feel called to serve? Is there a story about serving that encouraged you and help you decide where you could serve most effectively/with joy?

I am called to pray and to practice hospitality. When I fall away from my practice, I feel drawn back to it because I miss the relationship I have with God and my neighbors. It’s not guilt; i feel like I am missing out so this is how I recognize my calling - joy.

Please share!

I think God has a personal calling along with the calling(2 Thess 1:5,11) common to all the faithful.

David was unaware that Prophet Samuel anointed him to be the King of Israel (1 Sam 16:2,5) whereas Paul knew about his calling in a short time (Acts 9:6,9,15). God reveals the personal calling at his own time. When one realizes God's calling then one does not look back despite of difficulties.

2 Peter 1
5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

At this time God wants me to remain in fellowship while continuing in my profession. I'm also seeking with diligence to understand His calling in the days ahead.

Psalm 31
15 My times are in thy hand: deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, and from them that persecute me.
Psalm 127
1 Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.
2 It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.

All glory to God.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good OP and thoughts here.
I have to run now...but hopefully I will be able to find this thread tomorrow. ✟

Reactions: aspen

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Please share!

How do I choose to express this calling and is there a specific population that I feel called to serve?

No particular group at all. I don't go out Bible thumping, or go out of my way looking to "serve". I don't care for any specific population that much to be wasting my time. The Holy Spirit will have to descend upon me like a dove and give me a task to perform for that to ever happen. You are called to pray and practice hospitality, and so is every other believer. That should come naturally to you if you claim to be "born again" of the holy spirit, shouldn't be too hard to do at all.

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Good OP and thoughts here.
I have to run now...but hopefully I will be able to find this thread tomorrow. ✟
Thanks for the compliment (though I didn't start this thread). I wish you should find this thread even a day after. I find you actively involved in almost this entire forum. I suggest you to contribute more in sharing the Word of God instead. Please remember Jesus sharing five loaves and two fish. Please take some time to research on this from the Word of God. When you get back here, let Jesus share the Word of God through you. If you can do this faithfully, I bet you will see the twelve baskets full in return.
Let's grow with the Word of God.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thanks for the compliment (though I didn't start this thread). I wish you should find this thread even a day after. I find you actively involved in almost this entire forum. I suggest you to contribute more in sharing the Word of God instead. Please remember Jesus sharing five loaves and two fish. Please take some time to research on this from the Word of God. When you get back here, let Jesus share the Word of God through you. If you can do this faithfully, I bet you will see the twelve baskets full in return.
Let's grow with the Word of God.

I am so glad you responded because that helped me find this thread again.:)

@aspen
So...What would I say that my "Calling" was? Mmmmm

I have to say it has changed over the years.
I believe spiritual gifts are forever as the scripture says, God does take them back. But a calling I think changes. ie. He speaks, we do.

When first a Follower we taught Sunday school.
Then a few years later we were 'called' to visit every pub and bar in a 80 mile radius from our house ( it helped that my husband used to be a drinker so knew them all! ;) ) So we took the gospel every Friday night one-to-one in the bars....four of five years. this was the 1960's

After that we started meetings in our house ...it grew to a small church group of 80 people ( not in our house any longer :D) Many teens were saved. They were between 13-17...a few are pastors now and many still keep in touch. 1970's

Then our calling changed again...and we came on request to Canada ( from England) to help as elders in a church ( yes they have female ministry...no male or female "in Christ". :) ) Again, older teens and young marrieds.
We later moved into community and lived with 78 other people.
( for a decade) ...it is behind us now...but again, we are still in touch with many /most of them ( who haven't died yet!)
1980's
We moved house ( for health sake of my aging parents) we have searched for other believers of heart and mind..and not found what we search for.
So for the last decade been totally out of "church life" ..too much of the cookie cutter meetings ...and " Lets have a Jesus party today" type of hype.
I just have no inner witness for what is passed off as " moving in the Holy Spirit"....too much of 'man' in it for me.

So...today...what is my calling? Good question.
At 76 I can only say...to just be available , keeping an open ear, and as has been said, PRAY!!
Without prayer, any calling is surely pretty hollow.

Well, you did ask! lol

Reactions: amadeus and aspen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Called to love God, which means paying close attention what He is saying to me. I am not always successful, but God is not finished with me yet at 74 years of age. I really work to be ready to speak whatever God wants and whenever He wants. I know that my witness is not only in my mouth but in what people see when they see me. It was that kind of witness of a life lived for God that drew me to Him so many years ago. I strive to surrender regularly to Him so I can be a similar witness.

More specifically, presently, I am a first line encourager for my pastor [age 92] in his final period of work for God. When he passes on, if my remaining time permits then God will have something else to put on my plate.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Called to love God, which means paying close attention what He is saying to me. I am not always successful, but God is not finished with me yet at 74 years of age. I really work to be ready to speak whatever God wants and whenever He wants. I know that my witness is not only in my mouth but in what people see when they see me. It was that kind of witness of a life lived for God that drew me to Him so many years ago. I strive to surrender regularly to Him so I can be a similar witness.

More specifically, presently, I am a first line encourager for my pastor [age 92] in his final period of work for God. When he passes on, if my remaining time permits then God will have something else to put on my plate.

Now this is encouraging! I am compelled to practice my sanctification after reading this! Practicing love with Christ is the will of God and practice leads to perfection

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Please share!
My calling is to defend the Truth of scripture.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe that God is well able to do that for Himself. To think that we can is, well.......a bit of a joke. :)

Reactions: aspen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
hmm, i do get the concept, but imo "defending" is of itself a concept that should be considered there, esp in the context of Scripture, but even generally speaking. i would be examining Scripture for examples of this "defending" fwiw, i don't think they can be Quoted?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
hmm, i do get the concept, but imo "defending" is of itself a concept that should be considered there, esp in the context of Scripture, but even generally speaking. i would be examining Scripture for examples of this "defending" fwiw, i don't think they can be Quoted?

Surly we can defend as it were "The Scriptures".

But when it comes down to defending a doctrine or some belief that 'we' believe that we have found within the scripture...that is a joke. There is no godly calling in that!! As it is no long about God but about you/I/we...

Because at that point we have gone full circle again, and what we find ourself 'defending' is what we happen to believe that scripture says...so once more...it is back to me, me, me..and what I believe about the Book.
Nothing to do with God.
Which is two totally different things..
He is well able to look after His word...He has managed to do it since time began. That is not 'a calling.'

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we are wrapped up in defending scriptures, doctrines, God or any ‘understanding’ of our spirituality, we are at risk of of remaining at the starting gate - we are called to pure experience. Understanding is necessary at the beginning, but experiencing is salvation.

Jesus is God’s word in motion. No need to quibble over the Torah if you are the Torah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Surly we can defend as it were "The Scriptures".
hmm. seems to imply "credible attack" to me, i dunno
If we are wrapped up in defending scriptures, doctrines, God or any ‘understanding’ of your spirituality, we are at risk of of remaining at the starting gate
yes, this might be expanded more, imo this is a valid point

Reactions: Helen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm. seems to imply "credible attack" to me, i dunno

yes, this might be expanded more, imo this is a valid point

Caterpillars make fine apologists

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Sound like an inside conversation? Yes....you must be wearing off on me, my friend

Haha

I may sound like an oracle at times, but you are the unltimate insider
ha, i'm guessing that that is just a function of my poor perception where others are concerned; i tend to believe that i have learned of a thing only lately, and everyone else must already have learned it a long time ago lol. Due to my irl peers i guess.

i'm actually seeing pretty good reply in your signatures, now that i look :)

Reactions: aspen and Helen