What is your hope in?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello there, today woke up thinking about Hope. What is hope? What do people have and place their hope in? Can we find anything that clearly indicates what hope is? I did find something that was very helpful and decided to make this video on it, called What is your hope in? In this video we go and look at the Greek word for hope; then go onwards looking at scripture and talk about suffering for Christ; what is expectant of my own hope of leaving this world with faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and that is ultimately what this video is about which is 15 minutes long and hopefully it will encourage someone. There is no idea if it will or not but my hopes are in to encourage you in your faith and walk with God and the Lord Jesus Christ friend. Take care and God bless.

Reactions: Wynona

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello there, today woke up thinking about Hope. What is hope? What do people have and place their hope in? Can we find anything that clearly indicates what hope is? I did find something that was very helpful and decided to make this video on it, called What is your hope in? In this video we go and look at the Greek word for hope; then go onwards looking at scripture and talk about suffering for Christ; what is expectant of my own hope of leaving this world with faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and that is ultimately what this video is about which is 15 minutes long and hopefully it will encourage someone. There is no idea if it will or not but my hopes are in to encourage you in your faith and walk with God and the Lord Jesus Christ friend. Take care and God bless.

Hi Matt, the Bible teaches us that the gift that God gives is everlasting life by Jesus Christ our Lord. That is my hope for sure. That is the hope that is offered to every single individual who has ever lived; a wonderful hope indeed.

Reactions: MatthewG

Iconoclast

Jul 27, 2021
Hoschton Ga.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  1. My hope is built on nothing less
    Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
    I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
    But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.
    • Refrain:
      On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
      All other ground is sinking sand,
      All other ground is sinking sand.
  2. When darkness veils His lovely face,
    I rest on His unchanging grace;
    In every high and stormy gale,
    My anchor holds within the veil.
  3. His oath, His covenant, His blood
    Support me in the whelming flood;
    When all around my soul gives way,
    He then is all my hope and stay.
  4. When He shall come with trumpet sound,
    Oh, may I then in Him be found;
    Dressed in His righteousness alone,
    Faultless to stand before the throne.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG

As I watch, I noticed you said we'll be resurrected into a spiritual body. You don't believe we'll get a glorified physical body like Jesus has?

Reactions: marks

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. Wynona, I personal do not believe we will have a spiritual body. Because I believe that the kingdom is spiritual.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. Wynona, I personal do not believe we will have a spiritual body. Because I believe that the kingdom is spiritual.

What about the new earth mentioned in Revelation 21?
It also mentions a phyisical city with actual dimensions.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe when leaving this world we are going to a heavenly realm. What do you believe in personally for yourself? I do not wanna get in to anything to deep or try to seem like am fighting or bickering.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe when leaving this world we are going to a heavenly realm. What do you believe in personally for yourself? I do not wanna get in to anything to deep or try to seem like am fighting or bickering.

I understand.

I believe we enter a state of having a disembodied but conscious soul when we die.

Notice the souls in this passage

Revelation 6:9-11
King James Version

9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:

10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

But when we are resurrected I believe we will be like Jesus who appeared to the disciples in a glorified physical body.

John 20:26-27
King James Version

26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

Finally, here is the Bible on how our resurrection will be like Christ's.

Philippians 3:21
King James Version

21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Reactions: marks and MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, thank for sharing your own view, my only thoughts about the spiritual body also resides on the 1 Corinthians chapter 15.

Much respect and love through the spirit of Christ unto all; take care, and thank you for taking any consideration of what was presented here.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @MatthewG,

I listened to your video concerning our hope. Would you please tell me what 'if' you were referring to when you said it implied that something was 'conditional'?

Regarding @Wynona's point concerning the body we will have at the resurrection out from among the dead, it is my understanding that though our resurrection bodies will be 'spiritual', we will not be 'a spirit', for the Lord Jesus Christ's risen body consists of flesh and bone, and he said emphatically, to His disciples, that He was not a spirit in Luke 24:39, though He could appear and disappear at will.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a good question Charity; It would be in suggestion to verses like this my sister;

Romans 8:14 13For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

If - if you conditionally - live by. That is what is being mentioned when speaking on those terms. Thank you for your question and hope that this helps in understanding.

Going to share the new teaching today on Mark 4:10-20 which actually took a lot of time to compile though it is 30 minutes long it will be really informative I believe for anyone who desires to learn more about the Gospels of Christ.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is a good question Charity; It would be in suggestion to verses like this my sister;

Romans 8:14 13For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

If - if you conditionally - live by. That is what is being mentioned when speaking on those terms. Thank you for your question and hope that this helps in understanding.

Going to share the new teaching today on Mark 4:10-20 which actually took a lot of time to compile though it is 30 minutes long it will be really informative I believe for anyone who desires to learn more about the Gospels of Christ.
'For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die:
but if ye through the Spirit
do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God,
they are the sons of God.'

(Rom 8:13-14)

Hello @MatthewG,

Thank you for responding.

In the wrong hands these verses could suggest that the gift of life which we receive in Christ Jesus can be lost. Which is not true, for the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

* Mortify, means 'put to death', and that can only be done by the reckoning of faith, which is found in Romans 6:6-10 & 11-14,

'Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with Him,
.. that the body of sin might be destroyed,
.... that henceforth we should not serve sin.
...... For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Now if we be dead with Christ,
.. we believe that we shall also live with him:
.... Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more;
...... death hath no more dominion over Him.
........ For in that He died, He died unto sin once:
.......... but in that He liveth, He liveth unto God.
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin,
.. but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
.... Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body,
...... that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin:
.. but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead,
.... and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
For sin shall not have dominion over you:
.. for ye are not under the law, but under grace.'

(Romans 6:11-14)

* This is the reckoning of faith. We believe that we have died with Christ, been buried, quickened, and raised with Christ, to walk before the Father in newness of life as He does.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay. Not sure exactly what you are saying about that Charity, myself. Can you be more clear of what exactly you are telling me in a short paragraph?

The presentation of if you live by the flesh you shall die - > Would suggest spiritual death and not just actual death of our body.

Which you can allude back to in Romans chapter 6. That is all I know. If you chase after the things of the flesh and pretty much everything that pertains to the flesh of having hate, greed, whatever you will die spiritually.

So do not know if you believe that personally but know that I do believe you can die spiritually even after receiving salvation if you take a different road you lessen the effectiveness of the spirit inside of you; and can even grow to the point of having a hard heart towards God and others.

However it is opposite if you walk and live by the spirit.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Okay. Not sure exactly what you are saying about that Charity, myself. Can you be more clear of what exactly you are telling me in a short paragraph?

The presentation of if you live by the flesh you shall die - > Would suggest spiritual death and not just actual death of our body.

Which you can allude back to in Romans chapter 6. That is all I know. If you chase after the things of the flesh and pretty much everything that pertains to the flesh of having hate, greed, whatever you will die spiritually.

So do not know if you believe that personally but know that I do believe you can die spiritually even after receiving salvation if you take a different road you lessen the effectiveness of the spirit inside of you; and can even grow to the point of having a hard heart towards God and others.

However it is opposite if you walk and live by the spirit.
'For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die:
but if ye through the Spirit
do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God,
they are the sons of God.'

(Rom 8:13-14)

Hello @MatthewG,

The context of this verse needs to be taken into consideration to understand these two verses. For in the verses preceding, contrast is made between those who have been quickened into life by the Holy Spirit and those that have not. Those who have the spirit of Christ indwelling and those who do not ( Romans 8:9-11).

IF spirit indwell: not in flesh
.. IF any man have not the spirit of Christ
.... IF Christ be in you; body dead; spirit life
.... IF spirit dwell in you; body quickened
.. IF live after the flesh; die.
IF mortify (reckon as dead) by the spirit; live

* Forgive me I find this very difficult to express.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Charity would agree with you on that note of the conditional if. It is a choice between walking after the flesh or the spirit. As you have pointed out in reference of Romans itself if we go back to Romans 7 Paul goes further in to explaining that we have a dualistic nature of our Flesh, and the spirit itself. Thank you for making it more clear, friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: charity