What Purpose Is Character?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

genesis2kx

Aug 23, 2010
What purpose is character? I thought God wanted to build the character of His children not only for this life but for heaven? But then I thought, how can there be character in heaven? For character entails handling difficulties with grace, and yet there can be no difficulties in heaven, because difficulty implies some discomfort, and heaven is supposed to be without discomfort.

Please help me sort this out. Thanks.

Adstar

Sep 17, 2009
What purpose is character? I thought God wanted to build the character of His children not only for this life but for heaven? But then I thought, how can there be character in heaven? For character entails handling difficulties with grace, and yet there can be no difficulties in heaven, because difficulty implies some discomfort, and heaven is supposed to be without discomfort.

G'Day genesis2kx :)

I don't believe the character that we are built to has any impact on our eternal state of being. We shall all be transformed into far better beings then we are now

Character is for now and for this life. If one has character then one is prepared for adversity, persecution and traumas that come in this world. So God building up our character is like a coach building up an athletes physique so that atheist preforms better when the chips are down and they are racing for the prise.

So Character is for this world not the next.

All Praise the Ancient of Days

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI

There abideth three things that are transcendent graces. The come from above and cannot be manufactured or contrived out of the human spirit. They are the highway that leads to God's heart. Faith, expectation, and love. The world has it's counterfeits, and some are impossible to detect in the most stealthy individual. But upon these, Christ is forming our new humanity which is created in His image.

What the world deems as "character" and what true spiritual character is, can be seen in Christ and Paul the apostle. Outside of a heavy dose of Holy Spirit imposing itself on our human spirit, we have no clue about what God is seeking to build in our new creation that we have obtained already. It is that building of the Son and Holy Spirit that determines our place and position of co-ruling and reigning with Christ in the celestial realm at our tranformation into His image. With the enemy usurped and cast out to make way for the sons of God, the highway of faith, expectation, and love will end in His Son's presence, and we will enjoy the fruit of His workmanship in us during our time on earth, performing divine service by yielding our members to Him and His Spirit.

From the smallest thought to the grandest outward display, the Builder must be building within us, or it is all vanity. Nothing that takes place in our flesh is insignificant, nothing. Not a word, not an act, not a deed, not a proclamation, is without an affect on that Day of the Lord. We must walk circumspectly, not as fools. What may seem unimportant in areas of virtue, may well have a trememdous impact on the things to come.

As co-regents among the celestial powers, the glory of reconciling all things and subduing all thing unto Christ becomes our allotment and inheritance as well. We will be like Him, changed into His image, performing the will of the Father with authority and control over those malignant spirits whose leader has been cast out, in obedience to the God of all things. The work of bringing all things in subjection, which will take some time, will be our lot alongside the Christ. Will character matter then? With all fleshly desire, all that hinders us now, done away with, and only our "building of God" intact, what He perfomed in us will remain and be used as His instrument unto obedience and His glory.

We will be quite busy.

fivesense

gal_from_oklahoma

Sep 1, 2010
There abideth three things that are transcendent graces. The come from above and cannot be manufactured or contrived out of the human spirit. They are the highway that leads to God's heart. Faith, expectation, and love. The world has it's counterfeits, and some are impossible to detect in the most stealthy individual. But upon these, Christ is forming our new humanity which is created in His image.

What the world deems as "character" and what true spiritual character is, can be seen in Christ and Paul the apostle. Outside of a heavy dose of Holy Spirit imposing itself on our human spirit, we have no clue about what God is seeking to build in our new creation that we have obtained already. It is that building of the Son and Holy Spirit that determines our place and position of co-ruling and reigning with Christ in the celestial realm at our tranformation into His image. With the enemy usurped and cast out to make way for the sons of God, the highway of faith, expectation, and love will end in His Son's presence, and we will enjoy the fruit of His workmanship in us during our time on earth, performing divine service by yielding our members to Him and His Spirit.

From the smallest thought to the grandest outward display, the Builder must be building within us, or it is all vanity. Nothing that takes place in our flesh is insignificant, nothing. Not a word, not an act, not a deed, not a proclamation, is without an affect on that Day of the Lord. We must walk circumspectly, not as fools. What may seem unimportant in areas of virtue, may well have a trememdous impact on the things to come.

As co-regents among the celestial powers, the glory of reconciling all things and subduing all thing unto Christ becomes our allotment and inheritance as well. We will be like Him, changed into His image, performing the will of the Father with authority and control over those malignant spirits whose leader has been cast out, in obedience to the God of all things. The work of bringing all things in subjection, which will take some time, will be our lot alongside the Christ. Will character matter then? With all fleshly desire, all that hinders us now, done away with, and only our "building of God" intact, what He perfomed in us will remain and be used as His instrument unto obedience and His glory.

We will be quite busy.

fivesense

Well said fivesense. I'm ready to get quite busy! :)

bud02

Aug 14, 2010
I can't add to what was said
Maybe I can quote a verse

1 Cor 13
[sup]9[/sup] For we know in part and we prophesy in part. [sup]
10[/sup] But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
[sup]11[/sup] When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. [sup]
12[/sup] For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
[sup]13[/sup] And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.