What three days and three nights?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Hell is living outside of God's Word. So hell is the lower levels of the earth meaning those who are poor, miserable because they are bound in chains of darkness and can't break free. With saying that.......
Jesus on the night of the LAST SUPPER on the evening of Wednesday which would have been Thursday the 1st night when Jesus was betrayed into the hands of the tormentors by Judas the false one who sides with corrupted government to betray and hand over the true body of Christ.
He was now in hell in the hands of the ungodly. He was passed around being being mocked, spat on being prepared and tenderized by beatings having his HOLY GARMENT removed as God made him to be sin for us and taking our punishment.
All day Thursday was Day 1,after sundown would have been the dawn of a new day of the week being the 2nd night beginning Friday , then Friday day would be Day 2 and the day of preparation according to the Jews reheasal of the Passover Lamb, where they would bind the lamb to be ready to be prepared for EATING and there is not to be any left in the morning. Jesus was cruxified on Friday day and also taken down and put in the tomb before the evening which began the Sabbath. Friday evening would have been Saturday the 3rd Night and Saturday the 3RD Day, the Sabbath is when Jesus arose.

Mary came at sundown after the Sabbath ended which was dawning the first DAY OF THE WEEK, not day as in daylight for their days end at sundown.
Jesus had risen on the Sabbath just after midnight which was 6 hrs after he was placed in the tomb on FRIDAY DAY, just before the Sabbath eve began.

Mary came immediately after the sabbath had ended meaning just before sundown and found that the tomb had aleady been opened and found Jesus had already risen. She came and told the disciples, and that same evening being now the dawn of the 1ST Day of the Week
Jesus came and stood in the MIDST of the disciples who would MEET just after the sabbath was over UNTIL MIDNIGHT to feed upon the Word together away from the Synagogs where the JEWS wanted to harm them, yet they still sacrificed their selves by going into the Synagogs on the Sabbath to try and bring some of the Jews to Christ.
On our Gentile calender, the day does not end until MIDNIGHT, so they were still really keeping the Lord's Day on the 7th day, where as the church has misunderstood this to mean Sunday morning that we meet.

John 20:16-19
16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.
19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
KJV

Jesus is the Tree of Life who stands in the MIDST of HIS GARDEN!

Blessings

John_8:32

Nov 9, 2012
I think your timing is a bit off, but the resurrection of Christ was at sundown Sabbath evening. A very interesting thing to look up is how the Jews carried out the Wave Sheaf. It was harvested at sundown on Sabbath evening, prepared through the night and then waved before God about 9:00am on the next morning. The Ascension occurred then. The Wave Sheaf was a type and a prophecy of the resurrection and then the Ascension of Christ. I believe that Mary came to the tomb just before daybreak on the morning of the first day of the week, Christ was already gone. Of course, He walked out of that tomb at about sunset the evening before.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
John_8:32 said:
I think your timing is a bit off, but the resurrection of Christ was at sundown Sabbath evening. A very interesting thing to look up is how the Jews carried out the Wave Sheaf. It was harvested at sundown on Sabbath evening, prepared through the night and then waved before God about 9:00am on the next morning. The Ascension occurred then. The Wave Sheaf was a type and a prophecy of the resurrection and then the Ascension of Christ. I believe that Mary came to the tomb just before daybreak on the morning of the first day of the week, Christ was already gone. Of course, He walked out of that tomb at about sunset the evening before.
Isn't the Sabbath evening what we call Friday night? Which is the 3rd night and Saturday morning the 3rd day that he arose.

16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.

I also want to remind us that if Mary had come on the first DAY of the week meaning daylight on Sunday, then the evening that Jesus stood in the midst of the disciples would have been Monday the 2nd Day of the Week, not the first as it says "Then the same day at the evening, being the first day of the week.

19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
KJV

Jesus was put in the tomb friday, just before sundown that dawned or the beginning of a new day being Saturday the 3 night and rose on Saturday the 3 day after he entered hell, being from his betrayal the night of the last supper.
Thursday BEGINS Wednesday Evening ,
Friday BEGINS Thursday Evening
Saturday BEGINS Friday Evening. HE ROSE Saturday just as the Jews practice THE PASSOVER.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
afaithfulone4u said:
Isn't the Sabbath evening what we call Friday night? Which is the 3rd night and Saturday morning the 3rd day that he arose.

I also want to remind us that if Mary had come on the first DAY of the week meaning daylight on Sunday, then the evening that Jesus stood in the midst of the disciples would have been Monday the 2nd Day of the Week, not the first as it says "Then the same day at the evening, being the first day of the week.

KJV

Jesus was put in the tomb friday, just before sundown that dawned or the beginning of a new day being Saturday the 3 night and rose on Saturday the 3 day after he entered hell, being from his betrayal the night of the last supper.
Thursday BEGINS Wednesday Evening ,
Friday BEGINS Thursday Evening
Saturday BEGINS Friday Evening. HE ROSE Saturday just as the Jews practice THE PASSOVER.
I believe the same time line that John does. He meant Saturday Sabbath as it closed which would be on Saturday by our reckoning and not Friday that Jesus arose. Jesus died on a Wednesday, and by sundown Wednesday night (which is the start of Thursday on the Jewish calendar) he was interred. He arose 3 calendar days later which would be Saturday. Some say late Saturday afternoon about 3PM (reckoning from the time he died on Wednesday), and others, as myself reckon the 3 days and nights from the time he was laid in the tomb based on Matthew 12:40 (i.e. heart of the earth). Basically that just moves things 3 hours later and I have not made a big issue over that since we are mincing over a few hours, but I do personally believe the resurrection occurred at sundown Saturday as Sunday commenced to fulfil that wave sheaf.

Reactions: Dan57

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
tim_from_pa,

re: "Jesus died on a Wednesday, and by sundown Wednesday night..."

Actually that would be sundown on Wednesday day and not night. Also, how do you reconcile a 4th day crucifixion with Luke 24:21?

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
tim_from_pa said:
I believe the same time line that John does. He meant Saturday Sabbath as it closed which would be on Saturday by our reckoning and not Friday that Jesus arose. Jesus died on a Wednesday, and by sundown Wednesday night (which is the start of Thursday on the Jewish calendar) he was interred. He arose 3 calendar days later which would be Saturday. Some say late Saturday afternoon about 3PM (reckoning from the time he died on Wednesday), and others, as myself reckon the 3 days and nights from the time he was laid in the tomb based on Matthew 12:40 (i.e. heart of the earth). Basically that just moves things 3 hours later and I have not made a big issue over that since we are mincing over a few hours, but I do personally believe the resurrection occurred at sundown Saturday as Sunday commenced to fulfil that wave sheaf.
That is not what the Word says, he died on the day of preparation of the Passover Lamb and was placed in the tomb before the sunset and the Sabbath began which is what Passover is all about and it is on the evening of the sabbath that they would prepare the passover lamb for their family and there was to be nothing left until morning. Jesus rose on the Sabbath.
John 19:30-34
30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
32 Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him.
33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs:
34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.
KJV

I am not an expert on the Jewish Holy Days but you say the wave sheaf, do you mean Unleavened Bread?

Also remember that Saturday evening is Sunday or the First day of the Week in Jesus's day and the Jewish calendar.
So when it says: UPON the first day of the week, it is talking about just after the sabbath sundown on Saturday or as you say between 3:00-6:00pm. and that is when the disciples always came to gether to break bread.
Acts 20:7-8
7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.
8 And there were many lights in the upper chamber, where they were gathered together.
KJV
1 Cor 16:1-3
16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
3 And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.
KJV

Here are a few more verses that may shed light:
Matt 27:62-28:6
62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.
65 Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can.
66 So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch.
Matthew 28
28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:
4 And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.
5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
6 He is not here: for he is risen,
as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
KJV
John 19:14-15
14 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!
15 But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priest answered, We have no king but Caesar.
KJV

Mark 14:1-2
14:1 After two days was the feast of the passover, and of unleavened bread: and the chief priests and the scribes sought how they might take him by craft, and put him to death.
KJV

John_8:32

Nov 9, 2012
First of all, days begin at sunset, we know that don't we? OK. There were two Sabbaths that week, one was teh First Day of Unleavened Bread and it occurred from sunset Wednesday to sunset Thursday. It was a high day. Then there was the normal, weekly Sabbath, sunset Friday to sunset Saturday. Christ was buried between 3:00pm and sunset on the passover (Wednesday) and the resurrected 72 hours later between 3:00pm and sunset on the weekly Sabbath. I'll do some digging and post the scriptures and the timeline soon.

Reactions: Dan57

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
You can always tell when we are approaching Easter! This controversy of 3-days and 3-nights keeps getting "resurrected" every year on Christian forums all over.
lol_s.gif

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
John_8:32,

re: " I'll do some digging and post the scriptures and the timeline soon."

OK, we await your submission.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
I have found a certain web page most helpful. It can be found if you google : centuryone re: crucifixion

It agrees with the argument that Jesus died on what we call a Wednesday late afternoon and rose again on what we call a Saturday evening or late afternoon. There are two sabbaths involved; the weekly, and the annual (high). The confusion is the result of not knowing or not using the traditional timelines and titles. In my observation, Good Friday turns out to be a real convenient way to produce a long weekend.

I feel this is a very relevant discussion.

John 8:32

Jan 6, 2012
Found a site that already has the information so I won't reinvent the wheel.

Here is a chart of the three days and three nights...

3-days-3-nights_horizontal_March_2012.jpg

Reactions: williemac

Tropical Islander

Dec 20, 2013
Great graphic.

I heard that several times before, without paying attention to it. However, with timelines you have to look into the original times as recorded by the actual persons involved, not the post-apostles area, that changed so many things regarding times and seasons. It's a tradition vs scripture issue.

My question here is a different one: Why is the OP banned, as well as Tim from PA?

Second question: What is this new symbol on the upper left side? Reminds me of that symbol on the front page of the print version of the NKJV. Are they identical?

Jan 6, 2012
Great graphic. I heard that several times before, without paying attention to it. However, with timelines you have to look into the original times as recorded by the actual persons involved, not the post-apostles area, that changed so many things regarding times and seasons. It's a tradition vs scripture issue. My question here is a different one: Why is the OP banned, as well as Tim from PA? Second question: What is this new symbol on the upper left side? Reminds me of that symbol on the front page of the print version of the NKJV. Are they identical?
Dunno, Tim is a very good friend of mine. I have always thought the symbol is that of the trinity.

Jan 6, 2012
Ah ok, just found it online, it's a slightly different symbol, yet has a close similarity. Also apparently is said to signify the trinity. The NKJV version is called the Triquetra. And we also learn the general idea why we shouldn't use any symbols:

http://www.godsholyspirit.com/christian_desk/assault_word/Assault_on_the_word_part_2.htm

http://www.libertytothecaptives.net/nkjv_triquetra.html

http://www.av1611.org/nkjv.html
Thank you for the research. I have not really looked into that and the sources you posted are quite interesting.

Tropical Islander

Dec 20, 2013
Well what can I say. Didn't get to know the writer of the OP, he has 1,028 posts and then he is gone without as much a declaration of the reason why. It's not my forum, but that is bad style. The mod that did it should reveal himself, this is not a Kindergarten here, but a community. At least on the outside, now it's up to you to qualify yourself as such and make it happen by getting transparent. I do not find the way you operate here christian or acceptable.

However I know Tim from PA quite well from at least 3 forums as early as 10 years ago. You do not kick people out like this without clarification of what objection you have with them. That would be christian, you always communicate with the group.

As to the symbol used here, it is the exact symbol used by Led Zeppelin and others of the same genre, and their spiritual "uplink providers". So maybe the forum owner would be able to respond to that, since that is a very serious concern of mine.

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
John 8:32,

A couple of things about the chart; #1 - it has the crucifixion taking place on the 4th day of the the week, whereas Luke 24:21 indicates that it was on the 5th day of the week and #2 - it has the resurrection occurring on the 7th day of the week, whereas Mark 16:9 says that it took place on the first day of the week.

Jan 6, 2012

A couple of things about the chart; #1 - it has the crucifixion taking place on the 4th day of the the week, whereas Luke 24:21 indicates that it was on the 5th day of the week and #2 - it has the resurrection occurring on the 7th day of the week, whereas Mark 16:9 says that it took place on the first day of the week.
The crucifixion occurred on Wednesday and Christ was entombed just before sunset. Three days and three nights later is just before sunset. Luke 24:21 says...

Luk 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.

So, buried Wednesday at/just before sunset. Thursday, Friday and Saturday are complete. Sunday is not, the words are being spoken on Sunday so three days since all these things puts us at Sunday.

Mar 16:9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

Notice was risen is past tense? It does not say was rising, it says risen...

Mat 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Just as dawn was about to occur.

Mat 28:2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
Mat 28:3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:
Mat 28:4 And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.
Mat 28:5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
Mat 28:6 {b]He is not here[/b]: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

He was already gone.

Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

How early? We'll see in a moment in John's account.

Luk 24:2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre.
Luk 24:3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus.

He was already gone.

Joh 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
Joh 20:2 Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.

Still dark and He was already gone. Of course He was, He arose on Saturday afternoon exactly three days and three nights after He was buried just like He said He would be.

Mat 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
Mat 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

The only sign He gave was that He would be in the tomb three days and three nights.

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
re: "So, buried Wednesday at/just before sunset. Thursday, Friday and Saturday are complete. Sunday is not, the words are being spoken on Sunday so three days since all these things puts us at Sunday."

If the burial took place on the 4th day of the week, then one day since the burial would be the 5th day of the week, two days since the burial would be the 6th day of the week, and three days since the burial would be the 7th day since the burial and not the 1st day as you suggest.

And before anyone gets all bent out of shape, I realize that John 8:32 has been inactive this past year.