What was the Law that was Changed?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
Looking at the Greek, both words for "change" could also be translated "transferred". The Mosaic law was placed under the new covenant, as the old order of priests was placed under the new order of Christ's priesthood. Even though both the priesthood and covenant existed and were promised and established before the Mosaic law and Levitical priesthood even began.

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
I guess the law of Moses was changed. I think it changed in terms of its position and authority. Now being under a greater law that was before the Mosaic Law. That the Mosaic Law was always subject to this greater law but the Mosaic law was put in it's place to help people follow that greater law. We now have the means to fulfill that greater law.

charlesj

Sep 13, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
I don't know greek. And I'm sure the writers of the KJV knew what could have been used, but they used "changed". Why was there a need for the law to be changed? What law?

NOTE: YOU MAY NOTICE SOME OF MY WORDS RUN TOGETHER. THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING TO ME EVERYTIME I POST. I USE BOTH WORD 2003 AND ALSO WORD 2010, BUT BOTH, WHEN I PASTE HAVE WORDS RUNNING TOGETHER on this server. charlesj

Hello Eccl.12:13:

I am NOT sure the KJV translators knew all what could havebeen used. Have you read the bookwritten by Alister E. McGrath? “In theBeginning.” This is book, full ofdocumentations, dealing with the KJV and how it was put together.

Did you know when they translated this bible (KJV) that theyused 10[sup]th[/sup] century Greek manuscripts? Also, the scholars didn’t know they weredealing with “koine Greek.”

McGrath didn’t write this book to “downgrade” the KJV, buthe just mentioned facts, historical facts.

I encourage everyone to read it. I got my hardcopy from Amazon.com for $2.47used (3.99 shipping). I noticed tonightAmazon.com have a used copy for around $1.47.

If you pick it up, I guarantee you won’t put it down untilyou finish.

The translators were limited in certain ways as they hadrules laid down by the king of England.

The translators were using “classical Greek” and trying totranslate “kone Greek” (koine is the street language of the people of that timein Jerusalem.) That is like someone from Spain comingand trying to make sense of Tex-Mex. Tex-Mexis a little like Spanish, but differs in areas. It’s a dialect of the Mexicans in Texas.

I can speak most of the Tex-Mex, but I would have difficultywith Spanish. When I was in Africa (Morocco for 2years) I had some girlfriends that spoke Spanish. I tried to impress them with my “Spanish??”… Ican remember them laughing when I used my “Tex-Mex” with certain words.

Now I’ve been married 47 years, so you can imagine how longago that was. LOL

By the way, when the KJV was translated and was in use, butmost of Englandpreferred the Geneva Bible. The king of England disliked the Geneva because of the commentary it had andit downgraded his position as king etc. The people like it because of the notes etc….kindof like the Scofield Bible.

In fact, Calvin had a lot of influence with the GenevaBible. Calvin influenced most of yourdenominations today (a lot of false doctrines) and also the people of hisday. Read the short article on theInternet on the Geneva Bible: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Bible

One of the directions of the king (I think there were atotal of 15 directions) was that the translators were to follow the Bishop’sBible as close as possible. The Bishop’s Bible closely followed the translationof the Great Bible of 1539.

To complicate things (I think), the Great Bible of 1539 isCoverdale’s Revision of Mathew’s Bible which in turn was a revision of Tyndale’sBible.

Study after study has shown the vast bulk of Tyndale’stranslation has been incorporated indirectly in the KJV on account of thedirections the translators had to follow.

Eccl.12:13,if you are fairly young, then I encourage you to start studying Greek. It’s a beautiful language and fairly easy tolearn the basics in about two years. Thereis a ton on Greek information on the Internet. I found the basics were easy to learn. I don’tlook at myself as a Greek scholar, but I have Greek scholars in my library.

May the Lord bless us as we honor and serve Him,

charlesj