What were the Israelites trying to save themselves from?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
alternately, what were they hoping to attain?

Well, There are the Covenants to Abraham, to Issac, and handed down to Jacob- who is Israel! then they were in bondage in Egypt, and during that time they still knew of the Promises made to Israel in the Covenants, So I would respond, they were hoping to obtain the promise of the Land. I don't think that they rely knew or had a relationship with God like their Fathers did. Seeing how God did what He did taking them out of Egypt was just a beginning for them! And if you have read how God Shouted down the ten Commandments from the Mount, you might have a reasonable understanding of how they should have believed. The Land was probably their first Hope!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, There are the Covenants to Abraham, to Issac, and handed down to Jacob- who is Israel! then they were in bondage in Egypt, and during that time they still knew of the Promises made to Israel in the Covenants, So I would respond, they were hoping to obtain the promise of the Land. I don't think that they rely knew or had a relationship with God like their Fathers did. Seeing how God did what He did taking them out of Egypt was just a beginning for them! And if you have read how God Shouted down the ten Commandments from the Mount, you might have a reasonable understanding of how they should have believed. The Land was probably their first Hope!

as a people Israel, you're probably right, but guys like Abraham understood just what God's plan was, in the case of the Messiah and what the Messiah was to restore guys like him to, (as in the faithful). he knew the coming, as Jesus said and He knew, and he knew it was through his children, the offering of his son Isaac was essentially a prophecy of that, and a basic description of how it will work in the following generations.

the land promised and the promise to keep them there as long as they feared God and respected God according to His commandments was part of the deal, if you will, for even those who wouldn't be included as the faithful.

Reactions: Truth

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
as a people Israel, you're probably right, but guys like Abraham understood just what God's plan was, in the case of the Messiah and what the Messiah was to restore guys like him to, (as in the faithful). he knew the coming, as Jesus said and He knew, and he knew it was through his children, the offering of his son Isaac was essentially a prophecy of that, and a basic description of how it will work in the following generations.

the land promised and the promise to keep them there as long as they feared God and respected God according to His commandments was part of the deal, if you will, for even those who wouldn't be included as the faithful.

But did the People as a whole understand, that the binding of Issac was of a prophetic nature! was this handed down from Jacob after they entered into Egypt? I believe that when the Priest came out with bread and wine, it was reveled to Abraham, So maybe the Info was transmitted to Issac and Jacob! Maybe they were aware of this prophetic Knowledge!! They never said anything in the Movie! The 10 Commandments. Hay you made me think again!!!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But did the People as a whole understand, that the binding of Issac was of a prophetic nature! was this handed down from Jacob after they entered into Egypt? I believe that when the Priest came out with bread and wine, it was reveled to Abraham, So maybe the Info was transmitted to Issac and Jacob! Maybe they were aware of this prophetic Knowledge!! They never said anything in the Movie! The 10 Commandments. Hay you made me think again!!!

LOL you didn't hurt yourself did you?

as far as prophetic info towards Israel's stay in Egypt not sure what may be prophetic towards that without rereading, but the Lord God did tell Abraham straight out that his children would spend 400 yrs in Egypt before they could posses the promised land. in the case of the offering of Isaac, the prophecy is a part of the prophecy of Father, Son that was offered, the Holy Spirit, the Children of God are born of. Hence Jacob renamed Israel and his twelve sons. when its lived and experienced men don't forget and will tell of to their children. it was never forgotten that Isaac was place on an alter for sacrifice with his father prepared to strike and the following events in their history. and its well documented, whereas most other histories are not as such, and not as famous.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
alternately, what were they hoping to attain?
It is doubtful from the scriptures which describe the situation and from what my own experience has told me about people in general that most Israelites had a real hope of attaining more than physical freedom from Egypt. Even though it was seemingly an impossible thing they wanted to somehow be saved from physical bondage. Yes, it seemed impossible considering the power of Egypt and the abject condition and position of Israel.

All that their had slavery taught them was how bad things could be in the flesh. Hope for more than release from that probably did not really exist.

Yes, there were covenants previous made with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, but for the average person those hopes could not have amounted to much while they worked long days at hard enforced labor. There were certainly oral histories of God's promises among them, but...

The attitude of many or most of them was likely reflected by the lack of confidence this one man had in Moses... and Moses really was effectively a prince of Egypt with great power. But, his position and his military skill were not going to save the people:

"And he said, Who made thee a prince and a judge over us? intendest thou to kill me, as thou killedst the Egyptian?..." Exodus 2:14

Instead of plunging in to fix the problem Moses ran away avoiding the issue for 40 more years, 40 more years that his people remained slaves.

But, God did not forget... even though the people had the promises God made handed down through the generations from when Abraham, Isaac and Jacob had been in touch with God. After over 400 years how much hope did those people have... until Moses returned from his 40 year absence...

How much hope did he give them even then? Here we see a beginning of hope:

"And Aaron spake all the words which the LORD had spoken unto Moses, and did the signs in the sight of the people.
And the people believed: and when they heard that the LORD had visited the children of Israel, and that he had looked upon their affliction, then they bowed their heads and worshipped." Exodus 4:30-31

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But their belief was short-lived when they saw Pharaoh's answer to Moses:

And Pharaoh said, Behold, the people of the land now are many, and ye make them rest from their burdens.
And Pharaoh commanded the same day the taskmasters of the people, and their officers, saying,
Ye shall no more give the people straw to make brick, as heretofore: let them go and gather straw for themselves." Exodus 5:5-7

From that point they went repeatedly up and down like a yo-yo in their faith in God in spite of the miracles they saw with their own physical eyes.
Eventually as they murmured and repented, and murmured and repented, God put it final stop to it:

"Because all those men which have seen my glory, and my miracles, which I did in Egypt and in the wilderness, and have tempted me now these ten times, and have not hearkened to my voice;" Num 14:22

"Say unto them, As truly as I live, saith the LORD, as ye have spoken in mine ears, so will I do to you:
Your carcases shall fall in this wilderness; and all that were numbered of you, according to your whole number, from twenty years old and upward, which have murmured against me," Num 14:28-29

They had had nothing but slavery at the start, but through Moses, God showed them that there really was hope... and except for Caleb and Joshua they threw it away.

Their final result kind of reminds us of those around us today who call themselves Christians while partaking in all the abominations of Egypt, and Canaanland and Babylon... This is not an involuntary servitude like that inflicted upon the Israelites in Egypt. It is a voluntary thing, isn't it? After encountering the salvation of God through Jesus, people throw it back in God's face as they immerse themselves again into their filth. They love their slavery.

With Lot's wife, they look back at Sodom with longing...

Salvation? Hope?

How many are really going the Way of Caleb and Joshua? How many even understand what that Way really is? How many care?

Last edited:

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But their belief was short-lived when they saw Pharaoh's answer to Moses:

And Pharaoh said, Behold, the people of the land now are many, and ye make them rest from their burdens.
And Pharaoh commanded the same day the taskmasters of the people, and their officers, saying,
Ye shall no more give the people straw to make brick, as heretofore: let them go and gather straw for themselves." Exodus 5:5-7

From that point they went repeatedly up and down like a yo-yo in their faith in God in spite of the miracles they saw with their own physical eyes.
Eventually as they murmured and repented, and murmured and repented, God put it final stop to it:

"Because all those men which have seen my glory, and my miracles, which I did in Egypt and in the wilderness, and have tempted me now these ten times, and have not hearkened to my voice;" Num 14:22

"Say unto them, As truly as I live, saith the LORD, as ye have spoken in mine ears, so will I do to you:
Your carcases shall fall in this wilderness; and all that were numbered of you, according to your whole number, from twenty years old and upward, which have murmured against me," Num 14:28-29

They had had nothing but slavery at the start, but through Moses, God showed them that there really was hope... and except for Caleb and Joshua they threw it away.

Their final result kind of reminds us of those around us today who call themselves Christians while partaking in all the abominations of Egypt, and Canaanland and Babylon... This is not an involuntary servitude like that inflicted upon the Israelites in Egypt. It is a voluntary thing, isn't it? After encountering the salvation of God through Jesus, people throw it back in God's face as they immerse themselves again into their filth. They love their slavery.

With Lot's wife, they look back at Sodom with longing...

Salvation? Hope?

How many are really going the Way of Caleb and Joshua? How many even understand what that Way really is? How many care?

the Israelites as a whole didn't have faith in God's Word or the God of Moses, they always wanted proof from Moses and they feared the power they witnessed and experienced. they feared Pharaoh and the Egyptians, and then they feared the Almighty God of Moses. guys like Moses were of the faith. thrusting the Word of God said to them, and of course the God who said it. same with Joshua and Caleb. but the rest didn't. complaining and blaming Moses, not God, for their woes out in the desert.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
the Israelites as a whole didn't have faith in God's Word or the God of Moses, they always wanted proof from Moses and they feared the power they witnessed and experienced. they feared Pharaoh and the Egyptians, and then they feared the Almighty God of Moses. guys like Moses were of the faith. thrusting the Word of God said to them, and of course the God who said it. same with Joshua and Caleb. but the rest didn't. complaining and blaming Moses, not God, for their woes out in the desert.
so, a reasonable facsimile of our churches today then

Reactions: Truth and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but remember that Moses also missed the Way when he struck the rock rather than speaking to it as he was told.