What's The Unforgivable Sin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
The vast majority of people commit the unforgivable sin, simply because they live for themselves, not for Christ.{quote]This is a opinion not scriptural
but refusing to admit that they are sins is truly unforgivable.[Quote}your statement that unrepentance is the unforgivable sin then everyone that committed sin in ignorance or died before repenting would suffer the second death this is simply not true and again an opinion not scriptureI do understand the point you are trying to make that as of this point in Time NO ONE CAN commit a any sin that is NOT FORGIVABLE BY REPENTANCEbut the subject of the thread is what is the unforgivable sin and it is not unrepentance

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
(kriss;3326)
you will not find any scripture that says unrepentantance is the unforgivable sin that is your take on it.Not what Gods word says
There has been controversy about this for hundreds of years because Scripture nowhere actually states what the unforgivable sin is! It certainly can have nothing whatever to do with the AntiChrist, which has never been mooted, afaik, anywhere until now. The Scripture does clearly explain what this sin is, however, as I have shown from Matthew and Luke.

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
(kriss;3328)

The vast majority of people commit the unforgivable sin, simply because they live for themselves, not for Christ.

This is a opinion not scriptural
The vast majority of people ("many are called, few are chosen'") are unforgiven, because they refuse to repent:'Men gnawed their tongues in agony and cursed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, but they refused to repent of what they had done.' Rev 16:10-11 NIVLike many Bible 'problems', this one is really much easier than people think. Scripture explains itself.
your statement that unrepentance is the unforgivable sin then everyone that committed sin in ignorance or died before repenting would suffer the second death this is simply not true and again an opinion not scripture
The phrase 'second death' found in John's Revelation was used by Jews of death of the soul rather than the body, so it cannot refer to a death relating to the AntiChrist. Jewish Christians would not have understood it that way.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I don't agree that there has been hundreds of years of arguing over what the unforgivable sin is. There is not much doubt by the scripture that the unforgivable sin is Blasphemy (not unrepentance) I didn't say that there may not be punishment for unrepentance I only said it is not the unforgivable sin. Scripture is pretty clear that it is blasphemy. the problem with this (thus the arguments you speak of) is blasphemy is probably one of those sins that is committed by half the world on an everyday basis and as you have rightly pointed out blasphemy is not an unforgivable sin.So the question becomes what is so special about this case of blasphemy that it becomes The Unforgivable Sin.It is called blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. ."But he who disowns me before men will be disowned before the angels of God. And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven."' Luke 12:8-10 NIVNext question What is happening at the time?You are being brought up before the synagog of Satan (since you don't like the word anti-christ)What does it say will happen? Do not premeditate what you will say.Why? because Gods Holy spirit will talk thru you.would this be the Holy Spirit that it is Unforgivable to commit Blasphemy against?Now think about this scene for a minute you have been brought up before the synagog of Satan,Why because he(Satan) wants everyone to believe he is God if you have been brought up before him its because you know he is Not god.Now Gods Holy Spirit descends on you to speak thru you,what a glorious thing that will be.at this time you are also granted wisdom and knowledge.now imagine at that time you with the wisdom and knowledge and Gods Holy Spirit having come upon you You of your own free will decide to deny God and follow Satan.This is what would cause this particular act of Blasphemy to be different than any other time because you had been granted KNOWLEDGE,WISDOM,and the HOLY SPIRT itself desending upon you and still denied God THIS WOULD MAKE IT AN UNFORGIVABLE SIN. As I said earlier I doubt it will ever be committed but God has fore warned us of all things so we are warned.That is my last word on it I can not make it any clearer than as I have explained above.You can not just decide your belief is that the sin is unrepentantance and then go find scripture out of context to support your point of view.The scripture says Blasphemy of the HOLY SPIRT is the UNFORGIVABLE SIN.but your own arguments prove that it is not ordinary everyday type of blasphemy because that is forgivable with repentance..There is no point in further debating this you either get it or you don't THE UNFORGIVABLE SIN IS A CERTAIN QUALFIED BLASPHMEY OF THE HOLY SPIRTIT CAN ONLY BE COMMITED ONE TIMEIT CAN ONLY BE COMITTED BY THOSE CHOSEN BY GOD THAT HE CHOOSES TO TALK THROUGH AND GRANT WISDOM AND KNOWLEDGE TO .

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
(kriss;3337)
the unforgivable sin is Blasphemy
If we are to use correct English, it is blasphemy, not Blasphemy. It is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit that is unforgivable. Now to know what blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is, we need to find from Scripture what the Holy Spirit's action in the world is. What He does is 'convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment' (Jn 16:8). So the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is to tell Him that one is not guilty, and thereby fail to repent.
What is happening at the time? You are being brought up before the synagog of Satan
There is no mention of that in the accounts of Matthew, Mark or Luke. This is a hypothesis plucked out of the air. There is no need for any hypothesis anyway. Matthew makes the matter explicit and beyond any doubt. The Greek construction is clear and unmistakable in showing that what Jesus meant must be taken from the statement immediately preceding:'"He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven."' Matt 12:30-32 NIV

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we are to use correct English, it is blasphemy, not Blasphemy.
pointer, a comment like this is neither warranted or appreciated. I think everyone knew quite well what kriss meant - chastizing either our members or staff over how they post something doesn't have anything to do with the argument. Consider this your warning, I only wish I had seen this thread and it had come sooner.
It is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit that is unforgivable. Now to know what blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is, we need to find from Scripture what the Holy Spirit's action in the world is. What He does is 'convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment' (Jn 16:8). So the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is to tell Him that one is not guilty, and thereby fail to repent.
Incorrect. The Holy Spirit does not convict because that would imply that the Holy Spirit judges which is certainly not the case when you read God's Holy book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ. In this case, the word that the King James Version uses fits much better. The Holy Spirit will "reprove" our world - which the connotations of "convict" suggest anyway upon a deeper word study. The Holy Spirit is here to correct us and help us lead the life that we need to. If you deny the Holy Spirit then not repenting is only a part of the process - you're obviously not going to repent to a God that you don't believe in.

Daniel salach

Dec 15, 2006
The only unforgivable sin as Jesus describes is saying that he is Satan and the source of Jesus' power is that of an evil power. I do not believe that if we sin and forget to repent we go to hell. When we accept Christ all of our sins are forgiven, the Word says they are forgotten and thrown as far as the east is from the west. So in other words if you are living in the grace of the Lord through faith in Christ you are set for eternity. I am not saying God condones sin, but He knows we are not perfect. The only unforgivable is sin is when we use our free will to completely deny the Lord. I mean i would not even go as far to say that anybody has committed the unforgivable sin, Michael the angel didnt even call Satan a blasphemer, he simply said "i rebuke you".

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
(Daniel salach;5191)
The only unforgivable sin as Jesus describes is saying that he is Satan and the source of Jesus' power is that of an evil power.
We should ask ourselves why anyone would say that Jesus is Satan. Unless they have been totally misinformed about Him, it can only be because they do not love the truth, that truth being, in the first place, that they are sinners. So refusal to repent is the unforgivable sin. It is quite literally not forgivable.
When we accept Christ all of our sins are forgiven, the Word says they are forgotten and thrown as far as the east is from the west. So in other words if you are living in the grace of the Lord through faith in Christ you are set for eternity.
If one never sins, yes. But we all do, and we must all repent of the sins of which the Holy Spirit convicts us if we are to be saved. We cannot be friends of God and knowingly do what He hates. There is simply no alternative to working out faith in fear and trembling, though the devil convinces many that this is too much to do, and that one can stay a Christian and not come to the foot of the cross for forgiveness whenever we know that we have sinned. Refusal to repent is the unforgivable sin. It is quite literally not forgivable, whether sin is committed before conversion or after.
I am not saying God condones sin, but He knows we are not perfect. The only unforgivable is sin is when we use our free will to completely deny the Lord. I mean i would not even go as far to say that anybody has committed the unforgivable sin
'"Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."' Matt 24:9-13 NIV

Daniel salach

Dec 15, 2006
i dont know quite what youre saying in that last part, maybe that i am a false prophet? But, of course you arent going to repent if you dont think what youre doing is wrong, when we become "Christians" it is that matter of realizing our sin and asking God to forgive us. and the pharisees of that day said that Jesus' power was derived from Satan, its in the Bible, its not my words. That is what Jesus was referring to when he says that Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the only unforgivalble sin. Not confessing is not a sin, of course your sins wont be forgiven if you dont confess, but at any point in time you can ask Gods forgiveness and it will be given. So to say that the unforgivable sin even still exists is ingorant, because even if we deny God completely we can at any point in our life realize our need for Him and recieve the salvation that He has to offer.

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
Daniel, provided that a person has been accurately informed about Jesus, why would he or she say that he is evil?

Daniel salach

Dec 15, 2006
The pharisees knew who Jesus was, but they were afraid of losing their religious appeal and honor becasuse Jesus was exposing their wickedness, so when Jesus performed His miracle when he healed the man and they attributed the power to Satan he simply told them that denying the power of the Holy Spirit is what cannot be forgiven. Please read this : Matt. 24But when the Pharisees heard about the miracle, they said, “No wonder he can cast out demons. He gets his power from Satan, ? the prince of demons.”25Jesus knew their thoughts and replied, “Any kingdom at war with itself is doomed. A city or home divided against itself is doomed. 26And if Satan is casting out Satan, he is fighting against himself. His own kingdom will not survive. 27And if I am empowered by the prince of demons, ? what about your own followers? They cast out demons, too, so they will judge you for what you have said. 28But if I am casting out demons by the Spirit of God, then the Kingdom of God has arrived among you. 29Let me illustrate this. You can’t enter a strong man’s house and rob him without first tying him up. Only then can his house be robbed! ? 30Anyone who isn’t helping me opposes me, and anyone who isn’t working with me is actually working against me.31“Every sin or blasphemy can be forgiven—except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which can never be forgiven. 32Anyone who blasphemes against me, the Son of Man, can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, either in this world or in the world to come.

Daniel salach

Dec 15, 2006
i understand what you are saying, but the fact is it happened, which is why i said i do not necessarily believe it is possible to perform the unforgivable sin, because Jesus is not walking around on this earth performing miracles. So now because of what he did we are able to receive salvation at any time no matter how long we havent confessed, i agree that if we never confess our sins and turn to God we will not be saved, but to say that not confessing is unforgivable is simply ignorant, because we can ask forgiveness at any time. only denying the power of the Holy Spirit is unforgivable as Jesus says.only if God reveals himself to us and we deny Him for our entire lives will we not receive salvation. i think we agree but we are saying things in different points of view.

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
(Daniel salach;5200)
i understand what you are saying, but the fact is it happened, which is why i said i do not necessarily believe it is possible to perform the unforgivable sin, because Jesus is not walking around on this earth performing miracles.
Why is that a reason?

i agree that if we never confess our sins and turn to God we will not be saved, but to say that not confessing is unforgivable is simply ignorant, because we can ask forgiveness at any time.
But when forgiveness is asked, the unforgivable sin no longer exists.

Daniel salach

Dec 15, 2006
its a reason because nobody can say that Jesus' power comes from Satan because Jesus' himself is not on this earth in human form performing miracles. i dont know what point you were trying to prove on that last quote but its exactly what i was saying. the only other point ii am trying to make is that if it can be forgiven it is obviously not unforgivable. however Jesus says that atrributing His power to Satan is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit and it will never be forgiven, either in this world or in the world to come. Those are Jesus' words not mine.

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
(Daniel salach;5240)
its a reason because nobody can say that Jesus' power comes from Satan because Jesus' himself is not on this earth in human form performing miracles.
Why should it have been unforgivable for the Jews to say that Jesus' miracles were from Satan?

Daniel salach

Dec 15, 2006
It is scriptural, pointer. Please read the Matthew verse again. But the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost—Even personal reproaches, revilings, persecutions against Christ, were remissible; but blasphemy, or impious speaking against the Holy Spirit was to have no forgiveness: i.e. when the person obstinately attributed those works to the devil, which he had the fullest evidence could be wrought only by the Spirit of God. That this, and nothing else, is the sin against the Holy Spirit, is evident from the connection in this place, and more particularly from Mark 3:28-30 . “All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme; but he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation; Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

pointer

Oct 5, 2006
(Daniel salach;5245)
It is scriptural, pointer. Please read the Matthew verse again. But the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost—Even personal reproaches, revilings, persecutions against Christ, were remissible; but blasphemy, or impious speaking against the Holy Spirit was to have no forgiveness: i.e. when the person obstinately attributed those works to the devil, which he had the fullest evidence could be wrought only by the Spirit of God. That this, and nothing else, is the sin against the Holy Spirit, is evident from the connection in this place, and more particularly from Mark 3:28-30 . “All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme; but he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation; Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.
That is not the same reason as the performing of miracles. Was the committing of the unforgivable sin saying that Jesus' miracles come from Satan, or was it saying that Jesus was unclean?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven."' Matt 12:30-32 NIVThis is the only unforgivable sin the End there is no other It can only be committed when the son of perdition is upon earth

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
sorry Daniel I dont understand your statement what was saying that Jesus spirt was unclean please explain