When did Jesus chase out the money changers from the temple?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Based on logical deduction, I would guess it happened during the end of the ministry.

Pharisees and sadducees wanted to end Jesus from the beginning
Then why was it mentioned in John 2:15?

Makes no sense to me.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Okay so I have some major confusion here. It says Jesus did this in John 2:13-15, at the very beggining of the book, which i can only assume would be the very beggining of His ministry. but it also says in Matthew 21:12 that He chased out the money changers from the temple, presumably at the end of His ministry due to how close that story is to the end of Matthew. Did He do this twice? Like when he fed the crowds twice? Thanks
Mark 11:15-19; Luk 19:45: Matthew 21:12 is the second temple cleansing - fullfilment of Psa 69:9!

for zeal for your house (not my house!) consumes me, and the insults of those who insult you fall on me.

(Can you see the difference between Father & Son???? those who insult you! fall on me)

The other sacrifices are driven away; Christ is soon to become the one true sacrifice!... and so "the zeal for your house has consumed me" (as though he were an offering on the altar).

Christ was purging his Fathers house of the leaven!

Seven days there shall be no leaven found in your houses; for whoever eats what is leavened, that person shall be cut off from the congregation of Israel, whether he is an alien or a native of the land.

It's a wonderful study - all done in the "courts of the Gentiles"!

If only the Gentiles today understood what the Master was doing!

F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Okay so I have some major confusion here. It says Jesus did this in John 2:13-15, at the very beggining of the book, which i can only assume would be the very beggining of His ministry. but it also says in Matthew 21:12 that He chased out the money changers from the temple, presumably at the end of His ministry due to how close that story is to the end of Matthew. Did He do this twice? Like when he fed the crowds twice? Thanks
Sorry, I should also mentioned the first instance happened when Jesus went up to Jerusalem. It was, as it were Christ going in the spirit of Levitical priest to examine the house (of God) for leprosy (Read Lev 19:40-45).

He removed the most affected stones, but when he returned 3 years later (Matthew 21), the condition of the house had worsened, so again he took action (Mat 21:12,13; cp Mat 23:38).

The purging of the leaven: preparation for the Passover.

All of this Christ did in his own body daily!

Sobering lessons.

Hope that helps

F2F

p.s Christ tried twice to cleanse it...the house could not be saved!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1685678972079.png
This is all that's left of their house and no matter how many prayers they push into the rocks a time is coming when God will turn them to see the head corner stone of a temple built without hands! What a mighty day it will be when Jacob will be purged of all sin!

“Here is an Israelite (Jesus) indeed [a true descendant of Jacob], in whom there is no guile nor deceit nor duplicity!”

Wonderful isn't it!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@friend of

As a side lesson from you OP; imagine the scene of coins falling all over the floor (Look up Mat 21:12; Mark 11:15; Luke 19:45 & John 2:14). And compare this with Judas throwing the 30 pieces of silver into the temple in Matthew 27:5.

In both instances you would see people scurrying to gather the coins, firstly out of greed, and secondly to hide the evidence.

In both cases, this was money paid for "sacrifices"!

The prosperity gospel, which is preached in evangelical communities around the world are doing exactly the same today!

As Jesus said "they have their reward!)

He who judges righteously is on his way.

Reactions: amigo de christo

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry Joe, you have manufactured 'a context' and so created a pretext. :)
Dear quietthinker,
Your understanding of scripture is carnal and not spiritual.

1Cor 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. 2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

1Cor 2:13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches
(carnal words) but which the Holy Spirit teaches (spiritual words), comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

The words of Christ are "spirit" and must be received spiritually to be understood.

Isa 28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. 10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: 11 For with stammering lips and another language (spiritual language) will he speak to this people. 12 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

You believe that the promises of being an heir were made to the physical Nation of Israel but the promises were made to the spiritual Nation of Israel. They alone will be the heirs.

For a Gentile to become an heir, they must become a spiritual Jew:

Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: 29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Rom 4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith. 14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect: 15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression. 16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all, 17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.

The Seventy Weeks prophecy is made to the spiritual Nation of Israel and they will fulfill the goals of Dan 9:24.

Is Abraham your father or are you still seeing yourself as a Gentile?

Joe

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@friend of

As a side lesson from you OP; imagine the scene of coins falling all over the floor (Look up Mat 21:12; Mark 11:15; Luke 19:45 & John 2:14). And compare this with Judas throwing the 30 pieces of silver into the temple in Matthew 27:5.

In both instances you would see people scurrying to gather the coins, firstly out of greed, and secondly to hide the evidence.

In both cases, this was money paid for "sacrifices"!

The prosperity gospel, which is preached in evangelical communities around the world are doing exactly the same today!

As Jesus said "they have their reward!)

He who judges righteously is on his way.
Their are two HUGE major false gospels getting preached these days . the prosperity one
and the far larger FALSE social all inclusive gospel . WHICH the false prosperity preachers are also leading the people into .
This all inclusive social gospel is the lie that leadeth unto THE LIE . IF ya gonna warn out against that satanic false
prosperity gospel , DO warn out also against the MASSIVELY LARGE false all inclusive we are one false love unity social gosple too .
WE CANT CHOOSE SIDES of what is false . THEY BOTH FALSE . PEROID . EOD . End of discussion .
THE SOCIAL ALL INCLUSIVE GOSPEL IS FALSE . SO TOO is the PROSPERITY GOSPEL .
TIME WE OPEN BIBLES and learn THAT BOOK REAL WELL for ourselves .

Reactions: Marvelloustime