When does soul life begin in the womb?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When does human soul life begin?

American Standard Version, Genesis 2:

7 And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Accordingly, when a fetus receives a (detached) breath from God, it becomes a living soul.

By fetus, I mean a human organism with its own distinct DNA from its mother.

English Standard Version, Ecclesiastes 11:

5 As you do not know the way the spirit comes to the bones in the womb of a woman with child, so you do not know the work of God who makes everything.
Psalm 139:

13For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. 14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul [H5315 nephesh] knows it very well.
Ensoulment:

In the time of Aristotle, it was widely believed that the human soul entered the forming body at 40 days (male embryos) or 90 days (female embryos), and quickening was an indication of the presence of a soul. Other religious views are that ensoulment happens at the moment of conception; or when the child takes the first breath after being born;[1][2] at the formation of the nervous system and brain; at the first detectable sign of brain activity; or when the fetus is able to survive independently of the uterus (viability).[3]
When does consciousness begin?

According to this Scientific American article:

Consciousness requires a sophisticated network of highly interconnected components, nerve cells. Its physical substrate, the thalamo-cortical complex that provides consciousness with its highly elaborate content, begins to be in place between the 24th and 28th week of gestation.
Elizabeth was pregnant for about half a year, Luke 1:

41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
Wiki:

Some early Christians believed that the embryo did not have a soul from conception,[11][18][19][20] and consequently, opinion was divided as to whether or not early abortion was murder or ethically equivalent to murder.[13][17]
When does the human soul begin?

It is somewhere between the time of conception and the time of full-term birth. The human brain houses the human soul software. Frontal brain activities are good indications.

If we don't know whether a fetus has soul life, is it okay to abort it?

Better to play it safe. Didache believed that abortion was murder.

See also What is a human soul?.

Reactions: amadeus

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When does human soul life begin?

American Standard Version, Genesis 2:

Accordingly, when a fetus receives a (detached) breath from God, it becomes a living soul.

By fetus, I mean a human organism with its own distinct DNA from its mother.

English Standard Version, Ecclesiastes 11:

Psalm 139:

Ensoulment:

When does consciousness begin?

According to this Scientific American article:

Elizabeth was pregnant for about half a year, Luke 1:

Wiki:

When does the human soul begin?

It is somewhere between the time of conception and the time of full-term birth. The human brain houses the human soul software. Frontal brain activities are good indications.

If we don't know whether a fetus has soul life, is it okay to abort it?

Better to play it safe. Didache believed that abortion was murder.

See also What is a human soul?.
Lots of people are going to have opinions on this. I would say only God knows the answer. It's easy to say life begins at the moment of conception, but I believe there are instances when abortions are appropriate (the mother's life is in danger, rape), and I'd hate to believe the unborn child is alive to experience that.