Where was Jesus between his death and resurrection?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When a person dies, he goes to Sheol/Hades, where time stands still.

Where did Jesus go when he died?

He went to Hades, the dwelling place of the dead. Matthew 12:

40 For just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
John 19:

30 When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
Jesus' suffering was finished, no further suffering in Hades. He did not go to the fiery hell. In any case, I think the fiery hell is the lake of fire. That will not occur until the last day after the general resurrection.

Matthew 27:

50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit.
51 And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. And the earth shook, and the rocks were split. 52 The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, 53 and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many.
Elisha's bones resurrected a dead man in 2 Kings 13:21. Jesus' physical death resurrected a bunch of men. These were righteous people who were given an extension of life on earth.

What did Jesus do?

Jesus, in spirit without the physical body, proclaimed the gospel to the dead in 1 Peter 3:

18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, 19 in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison.
The unrighteous died without knowing Jesus.

1 Peter 4:

6 For this is why the gospel was preached even to those who are dead, that though judged in the flesh the way people are, they might live in the spirit the way God does.
Ephesians 4:

8 Therefore it says, “When he ascended on high he led a host of captives, and he gave gifts to men.” 9 In saying, “He ascended,” what does it mean but that he had also descended into the lower regions, the earth?
i.e., Hades, the dwelling place of the dead.

After Jesus died, his spirit descended to the spiritual realm of Hades, where time stood still. He preached the gospel to the dead, who would be resurrected on the last day.

See also What is the human soul?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
100% completely dead - totally ceased to exist, as all dead people currently are.

To say otherwise is to totally remove both his death and God's victory of the flesh.

F2F

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I s'pose they're hung on a hanger to dry out some.....rows and rows; some so shrunken they're a shadow of their former selves.....waiting for? .....the juice supply and for time to reboot?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 19:

Jesus' suffering was finished, no further suffering in Hades. He did not go to the fiery hell. In any case, I think the fiery hell is the lake of fire. That will not occur until the last day after the general resurrection.

Matthew 27:

Elisha's bones resurrected a dead man in 2 Kings 13:21. Jesus' physical death resurrected a bunch of men. These were righteous people who were given an extension of life on earth.

What did Jesus do?

Jesus, in spirit without the physical body, proclaimed the gospel to the dead in 1 Peter 3:

The unrighteous died without knowing Jesus.

1 Peter 4:

Ephesians 4:

i.e., Hades, the dwelling place of the dead.

After Jesus died, his spirit descended to the spiritual realm of Hades, where time stood still. He preached the gospel to the dead, who would be resurrected on the last day.

See also What is the human soul?
I believe Jesus is God in flesh. Maybe he just disappeared between his death and resurrection. He did have a way of suddenly reappearing and disappearing before he ascended into heaven, didn't he?

Reactions: Jack

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One's spirit goes to Paradise, just like Jesus showed in the Luke 16 chapter. One side is where Abraham is, represented the saved, and the other side across a great fixed gulf is hell, where the rich man was taken to.

1 Peter 3 and 1 Peter 4 reveals Jesus went and preached The Gospel to the 'dead', the "spirits in prison", so they could live according to God in the spirit. That was Old Testament prophecy that Jesus would do that at His 1st coming, and lead the prisoners out of the darkness of Satan's prison house (Isaiah 42:7).

Jesus' suffering was finished, no further suffering in Hades.
Jesus NEVER suffered in Hades. Don't know where you got that false idea, likely from not understanding the Acts 2:27 verse.

Acts 2:27
27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou
suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
KJV

Suffer there simply means 'not allow'. Jesus' flesh body would NOT be allowed to see corruption of the grave like our flesh bodies do. Instead, Jesus' literal flesh was 'transformed' or 'translated' to the heavenly body by The Spirit, like 1 Peter 3 showed...

1 Peter 3:18-19
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh,
but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
KJV

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think Kenneth Copeland teaches that Jesus suffered in Hell between death and resurrection.

Do I believe that? NO WAY!

Last edited: