Which came first: the earth or the sun?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Genesis 1:

9 And God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear.” And it was so. 10God called the dry land Earth, and the waters that were gathered together he called Seas. And God saw that it was good.
13And there was evening and there was morning, the third day.
16 And God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars. 17And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, 18to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.
I understood from the above that God made planet earth on Day 3 and the sun on Day 4. Accordingly from the biblical witnessed-time's perspective, the earth appeared before the sun.

On the other hand, from the modern-day astronomy space-time perspective, the sun existed before the earth was formed.

I see them both as true, depending on the time perspective.

See How old is the earth?.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1:

I understood from the above that God made planet earth on Day 3 and the sun on Day 4. Accordingly from the biblical witnessed-time's perspective, the earth appeared before the sun.

On the other hand, from the modern-day astronomy space-time perspective, the sun existed before the earth was formed.

I see them both as true, depending on the time perspective.

See How old is the earth?.
Isaac Asimov, the fiction writer, once said that God could create a world that appears to be billions of years old (at the moment of creation). Therefore, it's hard to tell whether the earth came first, or the sun.