Who can give an answer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What then happened to those Christ resurrected from the dead during His time on earth?
And what of those who came out of their tombs, who lived again after his crucifixion?

One possibility, they all ascended with Christ when He ascends in Acts 1.
The other is Hebrews 9 is just a general appointment of men, and not specific for certain excepted individuals.

How about the OT and Elijah and the young boy?
2 Kings 4:18–20, 32–37
When the [Shunammite woman’s] child had grown, he went out one day to his father among the reapers. And he said to his father, “Oh, my head, my head!” The father said to his servant, “Carry him to his mother.” And when he had lifted him and brought him to his mother, the child sat on her lap till noon, and then he died. . . .

When Elisha came into the house, he saw the child lying dead on his bed. So he went in and shut the door behind the two of them and prayed to the Lord. Then he went up and lay on the child, putting his mouth on his mouth, his eyes on his eyes, and his hands on his hands. And as he stretched himself upon him, the flesh of the child became warm. Then he got up again and walked once back and forth in the house, and went up and stretched himself upon him. The child sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes. Then he summoned Gehazi and said, “Call this Shunammite.” So he called her. And when she came to him, he said, “Pick up your son.” She came and fell at his feet, bowing to the ground. Then she picked up her son and went out.

------------------------------------------------------
17 Now it happened after these things that the son of the woman who owned the house became sick. And his sickness was so serious that there was no breath left in him. 18 So she said to Elijah, “What have I to do with you, O man of God? Have you come to me to bring my sin to remembrance, and to kill my son?”

19 And he said to her, “Give me your son.” So he took him out of her arms and carried him to the upper room where he was staying, and laid him on his own bed. 20 Then he cried out to the Lord and said, “O Lord my God, have You also brought tragedy on the widow with whom I lodge, by killing her son?” 21 And he stretched himself out on the child three times, and cried out to the Lord and said, “O Lord my God, I pray, let this child’s soul come back to him.” 22 Then the Lord heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came back to him, and he revived.

23 And Elijah took the child and brought him down from the upper room into the house, and gave him to his mother. And Elijah said, “See, your son lives!”
None of them saw corruption . They were as JESUS said sleeping . None of them saw actual corruption .
JESUS didnt either , even though his body lie in the tomb three days .
That is the difference . They didnt see actual corruption . GOD was in control of all of this .
It wasnt like tabitha , or the widow ladies son , or lazzarous , or the daughter of said man
had been dead for years and then raised up again . NO they were simply in that state where the body had not yet seen corruption
Now moses was dead and buried not to return to life in that body or state again .
I do get what you are trying to say . But none of them were dead for a long peroid of time .
Their body didnt corrupt away .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I ask again....Do you know why Elijah & Moses were chosen of all the OT faithful to encourage Jesus before his crucifixion? Mark 9

This question and its answer is precisely why this below thread is essential for the Christian to learn and follow.

I will send my messenger

Give it a go...I'll be very surprised if a correct answer can be gleaned - one thing is for sure the JW cannot answer it!

:I know:
They represent the law and the prophets.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
None of them saw corruption . They were as JESUS said sleeping . None of them saw actual corruption .
JESUS didnt either , even though his body lie in the tomb three days .
That is the difference . They didnt see actual corruption . GOD was in control of all of this .
It wasnt like tabitha , or the widow ladies son , or lazzarous , or the daughter of said man
had been dead for years and then raised up again . NO they were simply in that state where the body had not yet seen corruption
Now moses was dead and buried not to return to life in that body or state again .
I do get what you are trying to say . But none of them were dead for a long peroid of time .
Their body didnt corrupt away .

Hebrews 9:27 says it is appointed for men to die once, then the judgement.
Back in OT, the boy died, so he died once, then God thru Elijah raised him up to a living body again. Now your saying his body remains uncorrupted?
The pattern is broken, so there are a few exceptions, it is not absolute just generally true.
So did Lazarus die again after being raised? What about the widow of Nain's son?
How about where Jesus says this.
Matthew 11:5
The blind see and the lame walk; the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear; the dead are raised up and the poor have the gospel preached to them.
John 12:17
Therefore the people, who were with Him when He called Lazarus out of his tomb and raised him from the dead, bore witness.

John 5:21
For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will. (Also this includes OT references of the dead being raised up)

Not only that these people are raised up as a natural body, not a spiritual body, and are of this age still, not the age of the resurrection to come.
You cannot believe the boy Elijah raised up is still walking around on the earth, he died again. We of course do not know what really happened to the young boy. Nor is it recorded what happens to Lazarus after being raised from the dead.

Hebrews 11:35
Women received their dead raised to life again. Others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection.

Again not the resurrection to come for these women who received their dead to life again, still of this age. Actually, of interest, Heb 11:35 is likely speaking of the boy Elijah raised up in the OT. Women is plural so must be more than one.

Last edited:

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You cannot believe the boy Elijah raised up is still walking around on the earth, he died again. We of course do not know what really happened to the young boy. Nor is it recorded what happens to Lazarus after being raised from the dead.

It's unique to find a believer who understands this underlined (red text) truth.
No immortal soul
No past resurrection to eternal life

Scripture teaches "in Adam all die" (1 Corinthians 15:22), and in the same chapter it also states: "we shall not all sleep" (1 Corinthians 15:51) @Phoneman777 ;)

The doctrine of the immortal soul would be one of the most spiritually destructive teachings beside the Trinity in my view.

F2F