Who hardened Pharaoh's heart? God or Pharaoh himself?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Who hardened Pharaoh's heart? Was it God or Pharaoh himself? If your answer is one or the other, you are only half-right. Even before the hardening of the heart actually happened, Exodus 4:

21 The LORD said to Moses, "When you return to Egypt, see that you perform before Pharaoh all the wonders I have given you the power to do. But I will harden his heart so that he will not let the people go."
So, from a prophetic and vertical point of view, it says here that God is going to harden Pharaoh's heart. However, humanly or horizontally speaking, four chapters later on in Exodus 8:

15 But when Pharaoh saw that there was relief, he hardened his heart and would not listen to Moses and Aaron, just as the LORD had said.
Now it says that Pharaoh hardened his own heart while the hardening was actually happening. Note the sequence of events:

1. God prophesied that He was going to harden Pharaoh's heart.
  2. God hardened Pharaoh's heart.
  3. Pharaoh hardened his own heart.
  4. God let us know: See, I told you so. Pharaoh's heart was hardened. God knew that Pharaoh would harden his heart.
This is a basic idea of the Co-Reality Model. The vertical and the horizontal events interact and intertwine to produce a coherent and unified reality. If you ignore either the vertical or the horizontal perspective, you only know half of the truth. Reality can only be understood properly by looking at it from both perspectives.

God is almighty and just, Romans 9:

14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses,
“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”
16 It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. 17 For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.
God created Pharaoh for his purpose. Yet, at the same time, Pharaoh was responsible for what he did.

The case of Pharaoh was not unique. See Co-Reality Model.

Reactions: Chadrho

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who hardened Pharaoh's heart? Was it God or Pharaoh himself?
The spirit of the antichrist. In response to “let My people go”. Yet God allowed it “kept under the law, shut up unto faith” Galatians 3:23
But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

To me that speaks of the mystery hidden ..which should afterwards be revealed. Kept under, or Shut up …until afterwards when Faith in Christ be revealed.
Romans 11:25-32 For I do not want you, brothers and sisters, to be uninformed of this mystery—so that you will not be wise in your own estimation—that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in; [26] and so all Israel will be saved; just as it is written: “The Deliverer will come from Zion, He will remove ungodliness from Jacob.” [27] “This is My covenant with them, When I take away their sins.” [28] In relation to the gospel they are enemies on your account, but in relation to God’s choice they are beloved on account of the fathers; [29] for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. [30] For just as you once were disobedient to God, but now have been shown mercy because of their disobedience, [31] so these also now have been disobedient, that because of the mercy shown to you they also may now be shown mercy. [32] For God has shut up all in disobedience, so that He may show mercy to all.

Shut up under disobedience… “let My people go” … a partial hardening of heart happened …being kept under shut up to Faith …which afterwards should be revealed. Colossians 1:27 To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that Pharaoh was an antichrist?
The spirit of…yes I do think the hardening of heart is the spirit of the antichrist. Because I can relate to the hardening of heart and to be careful that your heart not be hardened. And what spirit causes an hardening of heart even to the point of “seared with a hot iron”. Or calloused over. Like the stony ground …I think it was to Timothy that Paul said …this is not the spirit given of God. Yet I get the controversy of blinded or hardened as in … was it Pharaoh or God who hardened Pharaohs heart. Still I think it is the spirit the world gives unto you and Not the Spirit God gives which hardens the heart in the “Spirit of power, of Love, and of a sound mind”

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that Pharaoh was an antichrist?
1 Timothy 1:18-20 This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare; [19] Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck: [20] Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

Consider this question similar to who hardened Pharaohs heart ..God or Pharaoh?
“Whom I delivered unto satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.” It’s a question I’ve struggled with. Who teaches them that they may learn not to blaspheme? Does satan teach them not to blaspheme? Or does God teach them not to blaspheme?
1 Thessalonians 4:8-9 He therefore that despises, despises not man, but God, (despises not man but despises God; the spirit of the antichrist?) God who has also given unto us his holy Spirit. [9] But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for you yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

Yet hand them over to satan that they may learn not to blaspheme. Is satan teaching that you ought to love one another?

You may say that is not the question asked but to me it is similar in who hardened Pharaohs heart? “hand them over to satan” that they may learn to not blaspheme…who does it “that they may learn not to” …satan or God?

• Love
Reactions: TonyChanYT

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nice anticipation :) I think you know my style :)

Anyway, your heart is in the right place. I am not going to argue with your heart. God bless you :)
I do know your style ❤️but don’t feel bad I get that a lot that it has nothing to do with the question. Before I go, you asked how could Pharaoh be of the spirit of the antichrist when he had not heard of Christ? Consider Jesus Christ multiple times told the Pharisees that they had not heard of Him, nor knew Him…but He also spoke on what spirit they were of. Even when they had not heard or known Him, they fulfilled what was said of Him.

i could be wrong and I mean this to not criticize …it seems you refuse to consider pharaoh could be of the spirit of the antichrist because by having not heard of Christ…that would eliminate the third group of those who cannot be of the spirit of the antichrist because they have not heard.
Define the spirit of the antichrist?
John 8:22-23 Then said the Jews, Will he kill himself? because he said, Where I go, you cannot come. [23] And he said unto them, You are from beneath; I am from above: you are of this world; I am not of this world.

Define the spirit of the antichrist?
1 Corinthians 2:12
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

Ephesians 2:2-3
Wherein in time past you walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now works in the children of disobedience: [3] Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

I don’t know how anyone can live in the world and not at some point be affected by the spirit of the antichrist. From Genesis to Revelation.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who hardened Pharaoh's heart? Was it God or Pharaoh himself? If your answer is one or the other, you are only half-right. Even before the hardening of the heart actually happened, Exodus 4:
Check the two different words there for "harden". What God said and what Pharoah said were not exactly the same things.

Much love!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
it seems you refuse to consider pharaoh could be of the spirit of the antichrist because by having not heard of Christ
Not exactly. Let me clarify. I know that Pharoach was against the Lord. In this way, by hindsight, we know he was against Jesus. However, I would rather not say that Pharoah was of the spirit of the antichrist because the Bible does not word it that way. I neither accept nor refuse that proposition because I prefer to stay close to the wording of the Scripture as much as possible. I try to avoid over-generalization :)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So, from a prophetic and vertical point of view, it says here that God is going to harden Pharaoh's heart. However, humanly or horizontally speaking, four chapters later on in Exodus 8:

Now it says that Pharaoh hardened his own heart while the hardening was actually happening. Note the sequence of events:

4. God let us know: See, I told you so. Pharaoh's heart was hardened. God knew that Pharaoh would harden his heart.
This is a basic idea of the Co-Reality Model. The vertical and the horizontal events interact and intertwine to produce a coherent and unified reality. If you ignore either the vertical or the horizontal perspective, you only know half of the truth. Reality can only be understood properly by looking at it from both perspectives.

God created Pharaoh for his purpose. Yet, at the same time, Pharaoh was responsible for what he did.

I believe that there is a lot that can be learned from the story, of the history pertaining to Israel, leaving Egypt. Pride, and manipulation, and desire drove, Pharaoh, to continue to keep Israel for himself, and have them under his bondage. Even in the end of letting them go, he still charged the others to rush after the Israelites one last time, and they were washed out by the Red Sea.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You have God's answer in the first passage you posted.

Pharaoh was reported as having hardened his own heart but that would only be because the Egyptians not Pharaoh himself recognized the existence or power of the Hebrews God.