Who is worthy to open the book?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why did John weep for one to be found to open the book and the seven seals? Why want the seven seals loosed?

Revelation 5:1-9
[1] And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals. [2] And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof? [3] And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. [4] And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. [5] And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof. [6] And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. [7] And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne. [8] And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. [9] And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

What makes the Lamb worthy to open the book and to loose the seven seals?

John isn't called a "beloved" for nothing, you know. surly the realization of the condition of man, including himself, isn't a happy one.

of course you realize the Lamb is Christ and being of God from Heaven makes Him worthy from the get go, His status in the Presence of the Father never changed. but He came into the world as sons of men do, to accomplish what no man can do, but yet it required a man to do it. hence the Word of God made flesh for our sakes.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe in the seven churches as ages...

Ephesus - Messianic - Beginning with the Apostle to the Circumcision, Peter
Smyrna - Martyr - Beginning with the Apostle to the Un-Circumcision, Paul
Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Beginning with DL Moody, the first to make money off of ministry.

The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. - Revelation 1:20

And in metaphor of the Revelation prophecy...

Seven stars - Like seven constellations, in which billions of stars may make up the whole - All held in the right hand of Christ Jesus. Those lights for Jesus light up the seven congregations..
Seven candlesticks - The seven churches listed above
Seven seals - Each congregation will be sealed in the book of life

full

The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; - Rev 1-2

And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof? And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neit her t o look thereon. And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. - Revelation 5:1-4

1. Seven stars - Seven groups of Christians... All held in the right hand of Christ Jesus
2. Seven candlesticks - The seven churches
3. Seven seals - Sealing each church along with the Christians in her congregation. If this is not the Lambs Book of Life... With Christians sealed in seven divisions.... Why all the ado? And especially to make John weep at the fact that no one was worthy to open the book save Christ?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ADDRESSING the OP again, Good topic by the way.

Who is worthy to open the book. only God. no man in heaven (angels), no man on Earth (us humans), nor any man under the earth (dead men, nor. metaphorically speaking demons). only God is worthy.

Revelation 5:1 "And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals".

Only an omniscient, omnipotent God can A. have the authority/the privilege/the right to Break the Seals. B. also, understand/know/open the contents of the Book/scroll of all times.

this is only done by the Father. supportive scripture, Matthew 24:36 "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only".

this is the ROOT of Jessie, JESUS/the Holy Spirit before David. supportive scripture, Isaiah 11:10 "And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious".

the OFFSPRING sits on the throne. and the worthy one, the Spirit takes the book/scroll from the RIGHT hand of the OFFSPRING. the OFFSPRING of David is after him (Jesse), supportive scripture, Isaiah 11:1 "And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots".

what a God we serve, he is before Jess and he is after Jesse. supportive scripture, Revelation 22:16 "I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star".

the SAME PERSON, Spirit without flesh before Jess, OT, Father. The SAME PERSON, Spirit diversified in flesh, after Jess, NT, Son.

this one who is WORTHY to lose and open the book/ scroll is JESUS.

PCY.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
bc the Lamb turned into the Lion, they are One and the same. Which answers the next two Qs also i guess. The donkey did nothing wrong, and the Lion was not there to "eat," but to illustrate how easily one might be led astray, to death
imo

similarly, God is an All-Consuming Fire, right, but Gold is impervious to fire, the same fire that kills some does not even harm the robes of others, like that.

the prophet was told not to "eat" or "drink" there, right, and also to leave by a different way; but he "turned aside."

Excellent thoughts...I like that post very much. :)
The story has always been a mystery to me.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ah well ty, but it's still kind of a mystery to me lol. How can the second prophet be considered a prophet of God after lying?

I thought the young prophet only repeated what he was told by the old prophet. I forget . BUT....
As I read the book...I'd not want to be an OT prophet, too dangerous. :D
When they got a prophesy wrong...they were stoned!!!
Now if that were allowed today, maybe it would shut the mouths of those who so quickly claim that they are prophets today!

Reactions: Philip James

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I thought the young prophet only repeated what he was told by the old prophet. I forget . BUT....
As I read the book...I'd not want to be an OT prophet, too dangerous. :D
When they got a prophesy wrong...they were stoned!!!
Now if that were allowed today, maybe it would shut the mouths of those who so quickly claim that they are prophets today!
ha well tbh imo we are all pretty firmly stuck in the OT right now! Grace is pretty easy to identify when you see/read it, i guess

Reactions: amadeus

verzanumi24

Advanced Member
Aug 17, 2007
New Yonk City
Why did John weep for one to be found to open the book and the seven seals? Why want the seven seals loosed?

The answer to your question is right there in that same verse from chaper 9 to 10.

Revelation 5:9-10 (KJV)
9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

On a side note: notice they say they will reign on the Earth? In other words, the true saints of God know not only that they will rule, but also that they will do so on the Earth.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Unless those seven seals were loosed, Christians would be unable to see God's ultimate plan for the Church, the earth, and the universe (Rev 20-22).
Because He purchased the Church with His own blood. We should note that Christ is called "the Lamb" in this context, because it was the Lamb of God on the Cross who shed His blood for our redemption.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unless those seven seals were loosed, Christians would be unable to see God's ultimate plan for the Church, the earth, and the universe (Rev 20-22).

Because He purchased the Church with His own blood. We should note that Christ is called "the Lamb" in this context, because it was the Lamb of God on the Cross who shed His blood for our redemption.
Correct, the Lamb of God is flesh and bone "WITH" blood, but the Lamb have no blood,

listen, John 1:29 "The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world".

side note: notice the scripture states "which taketh away the sin of the world". not just a few, not just one nation, but the whole WORLD.

also those seven seals reveals to the overcome in each church TYPE. be ye a Smyrna, or a Pergamos. each warns what's wrong, and how to overcome. and also tell what's right and continue to overcome.

but as said, it's only God in flesh who is worthy to overcome the seals. Isaiah Isaiah 63:5 "And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me".

it was the "ARM" of God who did it.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 29:10-12 KJVS
For the Lord hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.
[11] And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:
[12] And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.

Whether learned or unlearned, until the Lord opens that which is sealed it remains closed.

Deuteronomy 29:29 KJVS
The secret things belong unto the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

Before the Lord saved me I was repelled by the Bible. It was a closed book to me. I feared it because I knew my deeds were contrary to it. It was closed to me, a frightening mystery.

After salvation it became largely unsealed save for the parts that remain hidden. At different times in our lives God reveals things that were formerly hidden. Just like the deliverances He works progressively in each of us.

Deuteronomy 7:22-24 KJVS
And the Lord thy God will put out those nations before thee by little and little: thou mayest not consume them at once, lest the beasts of the field increase upon thee.
[23] But the Lord thy God shall deliver them unto thee, and shall destroy them with a mighty destruction, until they be destroyed. [24] And he shall deliver their kings into thine hand, and thou shalt destroy their name from under heaven: there shall no man be able to stand before thee, until thou have destroyed them.

The Heavenly Father's perfect timing in everything will reveal, unseal each in it's proper place and time. As we grow in Him He is able to speak to us of greater things.

Hebrews 5:12-14 KJVS
For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
[13] For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
[14] But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Last edited:
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus
Within the past few months I was slightly involved on another forum in discussion about Rev 5:5ff, but the specific question was on the difference between the Lion and the Lamb, both mentioned in that chaper. Most people say both are Jesus, but another opinion was that Jesus was not a Lion. The Lion was supposedly the devil.
Here is a quote from one who was opposed to the more traditional view. It is NOT my view, but it raised some questions in me and perhaps will help others come to understand your question or even result in an answer to your question:
Hi A, this is true, the Lord Jesus is the Lion of Judah. Jesus is the KING, which a Lion represent. and as to the devil, Lion represent his characteristics in "FEAR", which we should not. these are representative character. the devil is called "serpent", but he's not a reptile, it a characteristics trait. with the fork tongue he deceives, mixing truth with lie. also he is called dragon, another reptile characteristics trait, he devour his prey. all these are characteristics trait to Identify someone or thing.

Now as for Revelation chapter 5, it shows the clear diversity of God/the Holy Spirit in flesh as a man, (GLORIFIED), and in person as the Spirit. the Lion here is the "ROOT, meaning the Spirit, (the Holy Spirit) without flesh and bones. the Lamb.... and not the .... Lamb of God. see the difference. the Lamb of God is NATURAL, the Lamb is IMMORTAL. the Lamb is the "ROOT" of David, and the Lamb of God is the "OFFSPRING" of David. understand now.

see, this is the classic example of what I been saying all alone. the Lord Jesus is God diversified in NATURAL FLESH AND BONE (offspring), and now GLORIFIED, quicken/resurrected in glory, (the root).

Let's make it clear by scripture. Isaiah 63:5 "And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me.

God's "OWN ARM?" yes, God himself in flesh and bone as a man.

so in chapter 5 it is JESUS the same one as the Glorified man, (LAMB/ROOT/LION), which is the IMMORTAL Spirit now in his GLORIFIED BODY.

Understand there is NO Lamb "OF" God in heaven today, but there is a LAMB in heaven today.

the one who sits on the throne is the same one who stands as the Lamb.

PCY.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi A, this is true, the Lord Jesus is the Lion of Judah. Jesus is the KING, which a Lion represent. and as to the devil, Lion represent his characteristics in "FEAR", which we should not. these are representative character. the devil is called "serpent", but he's not a reptile, it a characteristics trait. with the fork tongue he deceives, mixing truth with lie. also he is called dragon, another reptile characteristics trait, he devour his prey. all these are characteristics trait to Identify someone or thing.

Now as for Revelation chapter 5, it shows the clear diversity of God/the Holy Spirit in flesh as a man, (GLORIFIED), and in person as the Spirit. the Lion here is the "ROOT, meaning the Spirit, (the Holy Spirit) without flesh and bones. the Lamb.... and not the .... Lamb of God. see the difference. the Lamb of God is NATURAL, the Lamb is IMMORTAL. the Lamb is the "ROOT" of David, and the Lamb of God is the "OFFSPRING" of David. understand now.

see, this is the classic example of what I been saying all alone. the Lord Jesus is God diversified in NATURAL FLESH AND BONE (offspring), and now GLORIFIED, quicken/resurrected in glory, (the root).

Let's make it clear by scripture. Isaiah 63:5 "And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me.

God's "OWN ARM?" yes, God himself in flesh and bone as a man.

so in chapter 5 it is JESUS the same one as the Glorified man, (LAMB/ROOT/LION), which is the IMMORTAL Spirit now in his GLORIFIED BODY.

Understand there is NO Lamb "OF" God in heaven today, but there is a LAMB in heaven today.

the one who sits on the throne is the same one who stands as the Lamb.

PCY.
Thank you my friend for your effort to clarify. My brain is quite sluggish so I am not understanding and God has not revealed it to me, but I am still waiting on Him. Don't give up on me and others. Our God is able.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you my friend for your effort to clarify. My brain is quite sluggish so I am not understanding and God has not revealed it to me, but I am still waiting on Him. Don't give up on me and others. Our God is able.
No way my friend, likewise with me. there are many things I don't know either, but together we CAN learn from each other.

don't think I don't read your post, I do. instead of responding all the time, I listen and watch, and comprehend. at times I'm like the apostle James, be slow to speak and swift to hear. ... (smile).

you be blessed, ok

PCY.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No way my friend, likewise with me. there are many things I don't know either, but together we CAN learn from each other.

don't think I don't read your post, I do. instead of responding all the time, I listen and watch, and comprehend. at times I'm like the apostle James, be slow to speak and swift to hear. ... (smile).

you be blessed, ok

PCY.
And may you also be blessed my friend! We will grow if we learn to lean on and surrender to Him.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@A

Understand this my friend, maybe it might help

God is a Spirit, (John 4:24a), meaning he is Holy, hence the term or title “Holy” “Spirit”. Holy is his character and Spirit is his nature.

Think of God as this.
God without flesh, without bone, and without blood is the Father. (in Heaven, or Earth, Spirit)

God with flesh and with bone and with blood "shared" in spirit as a MAN is the Son. (on earth only)

THIS IS THE DIVERSITY I SPEAK OF. A "SHARED" "spirit", hence two .... Spirit and "spirit" which is the same, only shared or in Intrinsic Spatial, a body. God now have his Body.

after the resurrection… (Rev 5:6)
God with “Glorified” flesh, and with “Glorified” bone, but WITHOUT “BLOOD”. (in both heaven and earth). in heaven he now is sitting on the throne as a man, (flesh and bone, but no blood) hence the glorification of John 17:5.

In the Glorified body, in heaven, he is seated on the throne. but In Spirit, Revelation 5:6 "And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth". this sending into the EARTH happen on Pentecost, see Acts chapter 2. this is confirm by John chapter 14:16. "ANOTHER" is just what God is of himself. look up ANOTHER using the Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words. there you will find two words for "ANOTHER, G243 allos G2087 heteros. examine G243 allos which will answer the question you have in Revelation chapter 5.

just examine G243 allos in what it says.

Hope this will help you. if need be a re-reading might be necessary

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@101G
Thanks for your efforts. I have read it twice and some of it fits what I already have. I have copied it onto my desktop for further review. We are probably already close on this. It is just that I have trouble simple explaining just where I am unless there is at the moment a God given reason for me to express it. When I do express it, it is usually [if not always] for the edification of another person.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Whether learned or unlearned, until the Lord opens that which is sealed it remains closed.
Well the Lord has already done that, and you have misapplied the words from Isaiah to Christians, when they were addressed to unbelieving, idolatrous, and hypocritical Israel:

Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men (v 13)

Here is God's revelation to Christians:
God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds... (Heb 1:1,2).