Who raised Christ from the dead?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
According to Jesus in John 2:

19 Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up.
According to Paul in Galatians 1:

1 Paul, an apostle—sent not from men nor by a man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead.
The above are consistent with John 10:

30 I and the Father are one.
Romans 8:

11 If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
Acts 5:

30 The God of our ancestors raised Jesus from the dead—whom you killed by hanging him on a cross.

All of the above. I'd count it part of the mystery of the Godhead/Divinity.

Reactions: 3 Resurrections

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Jesus in John 2:

According to Paul in Galatians 1:

The above are consistent with John 10:

Romans 8:

Acts 5:

All of the above. I'd count it part of the mystery of the Godhead/Divinity.
Jesus, who I believe is God in flesh, would have raised himself from the dead, I would think.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus, who I believe is God in flesh, would have raised himself from the dead, I would think.
Absurd! When you are dead you have no thoughts and you cannot do anything - that's the definition of being dead. So nobody can raise themselves from death (which is why we need a saviour). The Scriptures are clear, it was God, our Father and Jesus' Father, who raised Jesus from the dead:

[All quotes are from the WEB.]
Acts 2:32
(32) This Jesus God raised up, to which we all are witnesses.​
Acts 3:26
(26) God, having raised up his servant Jesus, sent him to you first to bless you, in turning away every one of you from your wickedness.”​
Acts 4:10
(10) be it known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, in him does this man stand here before you whole.​
Acts 13:32-33
(32) We bring you good news of the promise made to the fathers,​
(33) that God has fulfilled the same to us, their children, in that he raised up Jesus. As it is also written in the second psalm, ‘You are my Son. Today I have become your father.’​
Romans 4:24
(24) but for our sake also, to whom it will be accounted, who believe in him who raised Jesus, our Lord, from the dead,​
(So obviously Jesus didn't bring himself back to life.)
Romans 10:9
(9) that if you will confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.​
2 Corinthians 4:14-15
(14) knowing that he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus, and will present us with you.​
(15) For all things are for your sakes, that the grace, being multiplied through the many, may cause the thanksgiving to abound to the glory of God.​
1 Thessalonians 1:9-10
(9) For they themselves report concerning us what kind of a reception we had from you; and how you turned to God from idols, to serve a living and true God,​
(10) and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead—Jesus, who delivers us from the wrath to come.​

When Jesus said, John 2:19 :
(19) Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”​

I believe he was speaking a prophetic word from God; as he said in John 14:10 :

(10) Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works.​

Reactions: APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absurd! When you are dead you have no thoughts and you cannot do anything - that's the definition of being dead. So nobody can raise themselves from death (which is why we need a saviour). The Scriptures are clear, it was God, our Father and Jesus' Father, who raised Jesus from the dead:

(26) God, having raised up his servant Jesus, sent him to you first to bless you, in turning away every one of you from your wickedness.”​
(10) be it known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, in him does this man stand here before you whole.​
(33) that God has fulfilled the same to us, their children, in that he raised up Jesus. As it is also written in the second psalm, ‘You are my Son. Today I have become your father.’​
(24) but for our sake also, to whom it will be accounted, who believe in him who raised Jesus, our Lord, from the dead,​
(9) that if you will confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.​
(14) knowing that he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus, and will present us with you.​
(15) For all things are for your sakes, that the grace, being multiplied through the many, may cause the thanksgiving to abound to the glory of God.​
(9) For they themselves report concerning us what kind of a reception we had from you; and how you turned to God from idols, to serve a living and true God,​
(10) and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead—Jesus, who delivers us from the wrath to come.​

(19) Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”​

(10) Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works.​
Right on mate! And there should be no mystery in this scripture and no reason to say it's part of the mystery of divinity either, as posted as the last line in the OP thread.

A veil of ridiculous mysticism in Christendom still abounds and chanted even today.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No, I think Jesus was God in flesh, and therefore he raised himself. Who else would have done it?

Reactions: Willy50

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Right on mate! And there should be no mystery in this scripture and no reason to say it's part of the mystery of divinity either, as posted as the last line in the OP thread.
Let proposition P1 = Jesus is God.

True?

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Let proposition P1 = Jesus is God.

True?
Clearly not.

No, I think Jesus was God in flesh, and therefore he raised himself. Who else would have done it?
So your first wrong belief led you to into a second wrong belief.

1 Corinthians 8:4-7 (WEB):
(4) Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that no idol is anything in the world, and that there is no other God but one.​
(5) For though there are things that are called “gods”, whether in the heavens or on earth; as there are many “gods” and many “lords”;​
(6) yet to us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we live through him.​
(7) However, that knowledge isn’t in all men. ...​

Jesus is not God; he is not his own Father; he did not prepare a body for himself; he did not send himself to the earth; he did not annoint himself; he did not raise himself from death. Who else could have done all that? Why God, of course! It's very simple to understand, unlike the confusing idea of the Trinity that you've been led to believe in.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clearly not.

(4) Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that no idol is anything in the world, and that there is no other God but one.​
(5) For though there are things that are called “gods”, whether in the heavens or on earth; as there are many “gods” and many “lords”;​
(6) yet to us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we live through him.​

Jesus is not God; he is not his own Father; he did not prepare a body for himself; he did not send himself to the earth; he did not annoint himself; he did not raise himself from death. Who else could have done all that? Why God, of course! It's very simple to understand, unlike the confusing idea of the Trinity that you've been led to believe in.
I believe there are arguments that support Jesus being the Son of God, and argument that support Jesus being God in flesh. I think people believing Jesus is the Son of God, and those believing he is God in flesh, can coexist and be respectful of each other.

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The "dead" are those whose spirits have separated from their bodies, just as Stephen's spirit was at his stoning, or Lord Jesus (the incarnate Word of God) at his crucifixion. Naturally, the "dead" have nothing more to do with this physical life in the physical world since their bodies are decaying in the ground.

Regarding the Resurrection of Lord Jesus, I agree that all thee: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were involved in raising him from the dead.

The Father (Acts 13:33; Romans 6:4), Son (John 2:19-21; John 10:17-18), and Holy Spirit (Romans 1:4; Romans 8:11) are likewise all involved in the raising of the dead. Lord Jesus, the incarnate Word (the Spirit inclusive), is the one who works out all things that only God does – from God’s command and through/by “His Word” are all things (1 Corinthians 8:6; Psalms 33:9) so that all things are from, through/by, and for God (Romans 11:35-36).

The other Passages regarding Lord Jesus’ resurrection teach that “God” raised Jesus from the dead. “God,” when used generically for the One God, does not refer to the Father alone, for within God the Father are His Word and Spirit who both proceed from the Father to manifest God and do all things that only God does (Psalms 33:6; John 8:42; John 15:26). All things are from the Father (His command), and are brought into being by the Word and Spirit (Psalms 33:6; 1 Corinthians 8:6) – that is who God is, according to the Scriptures.

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clearly not.

There exists only One God the Father, but as Scripture teaches us, God’s nature includes His Word and His Spirit by whom God accomplishes all that God alone does for his own glory. God’s Word and God’s Spirit are both “God” in very nature because they proceed forth from God, and are sent out from himself to accomplish all that God alone does – from, through, and for himself.

Psalms 33:6 By Yahweh’s Word, the heavens were made: all their army by the breath (Spirit) of his mouth.

Romans 11:35-36 (WEB) “Who has ever given to God that God should repay them?” 36 For from him and through him and for him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen.”

God would not be God without His Word and His Spirit whom God brought forth from himself and sends out from His own being (John 8:42; John 15:26) to work out all things that God commands.

The Word (the Spirit works with the Word) is the Radiance of God’s Glory (Hebrews 1:3), in very nature God (Philippians 2:6). The Father manifests himself through His Word (Colossians 1:19-20; Colossians 2:8-9), the Spirit working with the Word (Psalms 33:6). God the Father did not create, nor does he sustain, save, judge, reveal himself, or do anything, except by His Word (John 1:3), because “The Word” is God’s own Image (Colossians 1:15), the Radiance of God’s glory (Hebrews 1:3).

John 14:9 (WEB) Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you such a long time, and do you not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father. How do you say, ‘Show us the Father?’

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about the Father? Did he play a role?

Good question! From the Father are all things through His Word and Spirit - they are all ONE, but positionally, the Father is the Head, and God has a Spirit, and His Word, who both proceed from Himself to manifest himself, and to do all things.

Reactions: TonyChanYT