Who Told/taught You About God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
Luke 18: [sup]9[/sup]He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: [sup]10[/sup]"Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. [sup]11[/sup]The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. [sup]12[/sup] I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.' [sup]13[/sup]But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' [sup]14[/sup]I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."

I think only someone not Biblically grounded would consider a simple quotation from the Bible to be a slam.

Faithful

Jul 13, 2007
Hello Thankful 1.
Who told/taught you about God?

I cannot remember being told about God. But everything I learned about him came from his leading and the places he lead me to.
Though the bible and the truth being opened up to me came directly from him.

Jesus told me the Christian Bible is the written Word of God.

God told me that the Old Testament is the only Scriptures that Christ, and the Apostles referred to as being scripture.
That believers today have Gods words put within them. That the Spirit gives the sword which is the word of God to every believer today just as the Prophets first received it.

Jesus told me he is God.

God told me that Jesus is the Son of God. That he did not his own will but the will of God.
That everything Christ spoke was directly from God.
Peter agreed with this that God was with Jesus. Acts 10: 38.How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
The Spirit was speaking through Peter and we know the Spirit like the Father cannot lie.
Jesus says that eternal life is knowing the only true God and Jesus Christ whom he sent.
God did his own work through Christ but Luke 1:35 is clear. We are instructed by God to call Jesus Christ his anointed the Son of God.

Jesus taught me that a Christian does not sin. Sin, meaning any wrongdoing.

Galatians 5 suggests that Christians who live in the power of the Spirit do so because of the fruit they bear through the Spirit.
You cannot live according to your sinful nature and the power of the Spirit. So no child of God deliberately continues to sin.

Jesus told me there is a Hell, a place where people who refuse to come to him, and live his Word will go.

The lake of fire is the final place according the scriptures but hell has no way back, and is cast in to the lake of fire.
It is for those who refuse to love.Love can cover over many sins but to forgive others is to receive forgiveness.
The bible tells us not to say who will go up or down. If loving others means we love God. Then sometimes the son who disobeys what the father tells them, but does what he wants in the end still shows love for God by obeying him even though he did not do it for his Father.

Why does anyone listen to what man thinks or believes about God?

The word is spread by word of mouth and it is the heart which decides what happens to the seeds of truth it hears.

The only way one can come to know God is to have God teach him or her.

But when the Spirit comes he will teach you and lead you into all truth.
Spirit and truth. Christ being the Truth. The new covenant that those who are taught by God come to Christ.

If God has not made a home in one then he or she has no chance of knowing God.

Why? Is anything impossible for God? Blessed is the man whom God imputeth no iniquity.
Abraham believed God and this was counted towards him as righteousness.
We are best to remain with truth. Spirit and truth. Only those born of the Spirit are ready for the return.

A Christian does not need the written Word of God to know God. A Christian is given the Holy Spirit/Jesus to teach him or her about God.

Once you believe and have received the Holy Spirit then you are a living being. The living word within you.
But before this happened man lived by every word of God. The Scriptures were those words and they can never pass away.

No matter who tells one any thing about God, they are to ask Jesus if it is right or wrong.

Christ said there is only one teacher the Holy Spirit. It is the Spirit who corrects us and searches our inner being.
Till Christ returned he could not come. It was the Spirit who came to Christ.
Heirs together through Jesus Christ who brings the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

faithful :)

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
When I was young I was taught about God in the same way I learned about Superman, Yogi Bear and the Constitution of the United States.

Eventually I went off to college where everything turned upside down.
I met real theatrical people and dismissed Yogi Bear as a clever drawing.
I met real athletes and disrespected Superman as someone with extraordinary abilities.
I encountered real violations of Constitutional law and learned that America isn't at all about law where the big boys are concerned.
I encountered atheism, considered it deeply and learned how foolish the mind of man can be.

When that happened all the silly fantasies of my youth from Superman to the Constitution fell apart and I embraced the living God as reality and as my personal saviour.

Superman shot himself in the head and died.
Yogi Bear's TV show was cancelled.
The US Constition became little more than a museum piece, a footnote in the passage of history.

My youthful fantasies have passed away, but Jesus has NEVER let me down.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
Hello Thankful 1.

I cannot remember being told about God. But everything I learned about him came from his leading and the places he lead me to.
Though the bible and the truth being opened up to me came directly from him.

God told me that the Old Testament is the only Scriptures that Christ, and the Apostles referred to as being scripture.
That believers today have Gods words put within them. That the Spirit gives the sword which is the word of God to every believer today just as the Prophets first received it.

God told me that Jesus is the Son of God. That he did not his own will but the will of God.
That everything Christ spoke was directly from God.
Peter agreed with this that God was with Jesus. Acts 10: 38.How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
The Spirit was speaking through Peter and we know the Spirit like the Father cannot lie.
Jesus says that eternal life is knowing the only true God and Jesus Christ whom he sent.
God did his own work through Christ but Luke 1:35 is clear. We are instructed by God to call Jesus Christ his anointed the Son of God.

Galatians 5 suggests that Christians who live in the power of the Spirit do so because of the fruit they bear through the Spirit.
You cannot live according to your sinful nature and the power of the Spirit. So no child of God deliberately continues to sin.

The lake of fire is the final place according the scriptures but hell has no way back, and is cast in to the lake of fire.
It is for those who refuse to love.Love can cover over many sins but to forgive others is to receive forgiveness.
The bible tells us not to say who will go up or down. If loving others means we love God. Then sometimes the son who disobeys what the father tells them, but does what he wants in the end still shows love for God by obeying him even though he did not do it for his Father.

The word is spread by word of mouth and it is the heart which decides what happens to the seeds of truth it hears.

But when the Spirit comes he will teach you and lead you into all truth.
Spirit and truth. Christ being the Truth. The new covenant that those who are taught by God come to Christ.

Why? Is anything impossible for God? Blessed is the man whom God imputeth no iniquity.
Abraham believed God and this was counted towards him as righteousness.
We are best to remain with truth. Spirit and truth. Only those born of the Spirit are ready for the return.

Once you believe and have received the Holy Spirit then you are a living being. The living word within you.
But before this happened man lived by every word of God. The Scriptures were those words and they can never pass away.

Christ said there is only one teacher the Holy Spirit. It is the Spirit who corrects us and searches our inner being.
Till Christ returned he could not come. It was the Spirit who came to Christ.
Heirs together through Jesus Christ who brings the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

faithful :)
Thank you for coming out with your witness. You also gave a perfect example why no oneshould ever accept another person’s witness, until Jesus personally tells youit is right..

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amadeus: The first time Peter heard God clearly. The second time [in the same chapter], he was so far off as to receive a rebuke from Jesus.
I am not sure what you are saying here. Peter was brought to believe by the Father, but Jesus taught him. He did not fully understand what Jesus had taught him, until after Jesus ascended into Heaven, and after Pentecost.

[
Thankful1: My job is to just give a word, a word that Jesus directs me to give. I try to explain the word I am giving, but that is not a gift Jesus has given me.

I understand what you are saying here. Each of us who has been called by God has a part, a job. This is why getting together in the Body is so important. If we fail to do so, we will as an isolated organ of the natural human body, in spite of being healthy in ourselves will necessarily die. This why Jesus gave two great commandments. The first one is essential, but without obeying the second the first one cannot be obeyed.

Thankful1: I truly believe each and every one needs to go to Jesus and have him explain to them what he wants him or her to know. Coming to know God is a walk, and not everyone is in the same place in the walk.

Probably all of us on this forum believe that we must go to Jesus for the explanations. The differences among us are likely just what exactly it means to go to Jesus.

Thankful1: Yes I do hear Jesus clearly. Jesus makes sure of that. Jesus told me to pray to be open and sensitive to his touch and his word all day long.

This is the "ears to hear" that Jesus mentions more than once in scripture. we must be able to "hear" Him clearly to always obey His voice. If we cannot hear, how will we know what it is that we are supposed to do? We can listen to men, and sometimes they will speak what they heard from Jesus, but very frequently they will mix ideas of their own with God's word. This is the confusion of which God is not the author. This is why there are so many very different supposedly Christian denominations.

Thankful1:
Jesus told me to give him the first few moments of every situation. I ask him what to do in most every situation. An example, about three years ago I had all the symptoms of colon cancer. I was hurting so bad and filling the toilet up with blood every morning. We did not have money or insurance, so I put off going to the doctor for five months. I finally was hurting too bad, and needed to have some relief. I asked Jesus if I should go to the doctor. Jesus told me no. He did not tell me anything else. I expected that it meant I would be healed in a day or so. that did not happen. Everything went on as before. It went on for the next two weeks, and then it all went away. I no longer have that problem. The same thing happened recently with my eyesight, and that was harder to trust Jesus then losing my life.

Thank you for sharing with us your testimony. God does truly bless all of us. Jesus does speak to us.

The difficulty, that too many people have, is in deciding just exactly how Jesus will speak to us. We really do not have to decide that. All we have to do is "hear".

"And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:

And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice." I Kings 19:11-12

The Lord was not in the wind, nor in the earthquake, nor in the fire, but we know that He could have been in any one of those and then some. Elsewhere in scripture says that God is a "consuming fire" [Deut 4:24, Heb 12:29]

I have known and know people who have heard God speak to them in an audible voice with no other person present and I believe their testimony. Scripture speaks of people who heard God in dreams [Nebuchadnezzar, Pharoah, Solomon, Peter,etc]. All of us have heard God speak through other people, be they saint or sinner. Balaam heard God speak through a donkey. Hearing is not necessarily understanding, but to presume that my hearing or understanding is more perfect than my brother's, before I am an overcomer, is exactly that, presumption.

The only place that I see at this moment where you, Thankful1 and I do not agree is in the requirement that a person be transformed immediately and completely. I believe that when a person has been completely changed to that which God wants that person to be in this world of flesh and temptation, that person will no longer sin, but neither will even that person know all of the answers that God has for anyone. All of the answers for anyone are available, but they are available only when and where God wants them to be available. Even Jesus did not have all of the God's answers:

"But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." Matt 24:36

But... Jesus always had all of the answers that He needed to do the work, which was His to do. We also must have all of the answers that we need in order accomplish everything that God wants us to accomplish. Will He not make them available when we need them?

Who are we to ask for the needed answers? Why would we not ask Jesus? What other voice should we be hearing but the voice of Jesus?

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
You know what I am not hearing from people about who is teaching him or her? I am not hearing how the Holy Spirit communicates with him or her. Jesus gave us the Holy Spirit to teach us about God. How do you all communicate with the Holy Spirit?

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
You know what I am not hearing from people about who is teaching him or her? I am not hearing how the Holy Spirit communicates with him or her. Jesus gave us the Holy Spirit to teach us about God. How do you all communicate with the Holy Spirit?

I have a feeling most people have stopped reading your posts after they have learned your intentions.

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How did the Holy Spirit communicate with the writers of the scriptures? [sup]
[/sup]2Tim. 3:16 All Scripture is
inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, [sup]17[/sup] so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

1Thess. 2:13 [sup]13[/sup]And[sup] [/sup]we also thank God constantly[sup] [/sup]for this, that when you received[sup] [/sup]the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it[sup] [/sup]
not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God,[sup] [/sup]which is at work in you believers.
2Pet. 1:21[sup] [/sup]For[sup] [/sup]no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God[sup] [/sup] as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Mark 12:36[sup]36[/sup] David himself says by the Holy Spirit: The Lord declared to my Lord, 'Sit at My right hand until I put Your enemies under Your feet. How did the Holy Spirit communicate this to David?

Mark 1:8 I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.
John 14:26 But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you.
1Cor. 2:10 these things[sup] [/sup]God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even[sup] [/sup]the depths of God. [sup]11[/sup]For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. [sup]12[/sup]Now[sup] [/sup]we have received not[sup] [/sup]the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. [sup]13[/sup]And we impart this[sup] [/sup]in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit,[sup] [/sup]interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.
2Cor. 1: [sup]21[/sup]And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also[sup] [/sup]put his seal on us and[sup] [/sup]given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
How did the Holy Spirit communicate with the writers of the scriptures? [sup]
[/sup]2Tim. 3:16 All Scripture is
inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, [sup]17[/sup] so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

1Thess. 2:13 [sup]13[/sup]And[sup] [/sup]we also thank God constantly[sup] [/sup]for this, that when you received[sup] [/sup]the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it[sup] [/sup]
not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God,[sup] [/sup]which is at work in you believers.
2Pet. 1:21[sup] [/sup]For[sup] [/sup]no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God[sup] [/sup]as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Mark 12:36[sup]36[/sup] David himself says by the Holy Spirit: The Lord declared to my Lord, 'Sit at My right hand until I put Your enemies under Your feet. How did the Holy Spirit communicate this to David?

Mark 1:8 I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.
John 14:26 But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you.
1Cor. 2:10 these things[sup] [/sup]God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even[sup] [/sup]the depths of God. [sup]11[/sup]For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. [sup]12[/sup]Now[sup] [/sup]we have received not[sup] [/sup]the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. [sup]13[/sup]And we impart this[sup] [/sup]in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit,[sup] [/sup]interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.
2Cor. 1: [sup]21[/sup]And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also[sup] [/sup]put his seal on us and[sup] [/sup]given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.

Those are words saying the Holy Spirit did, but not how.