Who Told/taught You About God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
Who told/taught you about God?

Jesus told me the Christian Bible is the written Word of God.

Jesus told me he is God.

Jesus taught me that a Christian does not sin. Sin, meaning any wrongdoing.

Jesus told me there is a Hell, a place where people who refuse to come to him, and live his Word will go.

Why does anyone listen to what man thinks or believes about God?

The only way one can come to know God is to have God teach him or her.

If God has not made a home in one then he or she has no chance of knowing God.

A Christian does not need the written Word of God to know God. A Christian is given the Holy Spirit/Jesus to teach him or her about God.

No matter who tells one any thing about God, they are to ask Jesus if it is right or wrong.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Actually Christians do sin, we do it all the time without knowing it. I'm a Christian and I sin but when I realise it I am sorry and as kfor forgiveness. An athiest might feel bad for something they'd sone but they wouldn't believe it was to the detriment of their soul. Also jsut because someone sins it doesn't mean theya re no longer a christian so Christians do sin.

I would replace that staement with
A Christian can sin but will repent of it and not revel in it

Or

It is a Christian's duty to avoid the snare of the devil that would lead him/her into sin

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
"Jesus taught me that a Christian does not sin. Sin, meaning any wrongdoing." - Thankful1

-- All Christians sin. The goal is to do your very best not to sin and to see forgiveness immediately after you realize you have sinned.

My pastor summed it up nicely. He said that he gives the Lord an hour each morning in praise and prayer and when he climbs in his car to start the day, he feels very close to God. Then at the four-way stop he almost gets broadsided because someone runs a stop sign. They both hit the breaks to avoid collision and the breaks and the other person flips them off.

He confiesses that his very first thought isn't exactly love and whne he realizes that he has held onto that anger for several blocks , he immediately has to repent and ask God for forgiveness.

I had to struggle for a very long time with sexual thoughts towards women. See them - like what I see - my mind goes directly to where it shouldn't.

It took a very long time for me, with God's help, to train myself to look away and not reflect on what I have seen. But while I was learning to do that, I had to seek God's forgiveness every time I did it.

Just because I was dealing with sin did not mean I was not a Christian.

You also ask God to reveal sin in your life you may not be aware of because, being human, you may not immediately recognize that what youare doing is a sin.

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
Not this again... The first two threads weren't enough so you need another one to preach your garbage?

Jesus taught me that a Christian does not sin.

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
So we see from John that what you stated and are preaching is wrong.

But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.
We see from Paul that you're sinning.

It's a self-defeating argument. You're sinning by preaching what you're preaching. Thus either you aren't a Christian or Christians do sin.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
This thread is about who has taughtyou about God. I shared that Jesus hastaught me. I also shared some of whatJesus has taught me.

I am not trying to convince sinnersthat he or she can’t be a Christian and still sin. Only Jesus could convince a sinner of that.

John did say: (1 John 3:8) “He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because thedevil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appearedwas to destroy the devil's work”

(1 John 3:5-6) “Now you know that he appeared in order to abolishsin, and that in him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, andanyone who sins has never seen him or known him.”

But this only proves once again that the Bible can’t teach one to knowGod.

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
First of all, using larger fonts doesn't magically make your message have any more validity or relevancy.
John did say: (1 John 3:8) “He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because thedevil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appearedwas to destroy the devil's work”

(1 John 3:5-6) “Now you know that he appeared in order to abolishsin, and that in him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, andanyone who sins has never seen him or known him.”

That's nice and can be explained easily by context, you can't look at the verse I posted, though?

But this only proves once again that the Bible can’t teach one to knowGod.
God's words can't teach one to know God? That's heresy. God's words can do everything from creating the earth to saving someone.

And once again, you preaching something that's false is sin thus proving either (if you're right)- you aren't a Christian, or... Christians sin.

And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
First of all, using larger fonts doesn't magically make your message have any more validity or relevancy.
[/i]
That's nice and can be explained easily by context, you can't look at the verse I posted, though?

God's words can't teach one to know God? That's heresy. God's words can do everything from creating the earth to saving someone.

And once again, you preaching something that's false is sin thus proving either (if you're right)- you aren't a Christian, or... Christians sin.

And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

Now you are wrong again. The written Word of God is twisted to mean what ever a person wants it to say. A sinner wants to feel righteous so the written Word is twisted make him or her seem righteous.

Paul tells us that only the Spirit of God can teach us about God. But of course I am a heretic for agreeing with Paul.

(1 Corinthians 2:10-16) “These are the very things that God has revealed to us through the Spirit, for the Spirit reaches the depts. Of everything, even the depths of God. After all, the depths of a man can only be known by his own spirit, not by any other man, and in the same way the depths of God can only be known by the Spirit of God. Now instead of the spirit of the world, we have received the Spirit that comes from God, to teach us to understand the gifts that he has given us. Therefore we teach, not in the way in which philosophy is taught, but in the way that the Spirit teaches us: we teach spiritual things spiritually. A spiritual man, on the other hand, is able to judge the value of everything and his own value in not to be judged by other men. As scripture says;’ who can know the mind of the Lord, so who can teach him?’ But we are those who have the mind of Christ.”

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
Paul tells us that only the Spirit of God can teach us about God. But of course I am a heretic for agreeing with Paul.
Of course we can only "fully" know about God by the Spirit.
This does not mean God's Words are wrong.

If the Spirit tells you something contrary to God's Words then it's not the Spirit of God telling you.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
Of course we can only "fully" know about God by the Spirit.
This does not mean God's Words are wrong.

If the Spirit tells you something contrary to God's Words then it's not the Spirit of God telling you.

I ask you, who gave you your understanding of the written Word of God?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all, using larger fonts doesn't magically make your message have any more validity or relevancy. [/i]

Yeah, that is what the condescending use of sarcasm is for, right Tex?

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
Because it matches what God's given us in written from: the Bible.

You know the following verses are in the Bible.

(John 10:1-5)"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice."

(1 John 2:27) “But you have not lost the anointing that he gave you, and you do not need anyone to teach you, the anointing he gave teaches you everything; you are anointed with truth, not a lie, and as it has taught you, so you must stay in him.”

Now it would seem that a person who claims to have been taught by God would want to share how God did teach him or her. Also by what methods God used to communicate with them. Especially when that person witnessed that it was a spirit that taught him.

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
(John 10:1-5)"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice."
Christians can't follow a false Christ.
Thus if you do, the obvious thing is that you aren't Christian. This should be obvious. If you don't follow Christ, you aren't a Christian.

So then, the Bible cannot contradict itself, so what to make of instances when Paul says,

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.
What was their perversion? Coincidentally, it has high relevance to you: they were trying to justify themselves by works and not faith: you'll see this continued in the letter.
Again, the Bible cannot contradict itself. So if Christians can't be led astray, but these people Paul was addressing (works lovers) were (and he indeed says they'll be cursed)... What's the conclusion?
Well, the only conclusion that can be arrived at, without the Bible contradicting itself, is that works promoters weren't Christians.
They were part of the church from an attendance and involvement standpoint but they were not following Christ, they were turning to a different gospel.

O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? ... Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? ... Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith... Know then that it is those of faith who are the sons of Abraham.
The Galatians were being led astray by people, exactly like you, who were parroting works.

But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world, whose slaves you want to be once more?
And he calls these things (justification by works) worthless, and even calls people who follow them uneducated and immature ("elementary").

How do we know we are not being led astray? How do we know we are still firm in the faith... By checking it against what's Biblical and true.
What I've been shown- is in line with what Paul is speaking.
What you are preaching- is not and according to Paul, "let him be accursed".

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

Christians can't follow a false Christ.
Thus if you do, the obvious thing is that you aren't Christian. This should be obvious. If you don't follow Christ, you aren't a Christian.

So then, the Bible cannot contradict itself, so what to make of instances when Paul says,

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.
What was their perversion? Coincidentally, it has high relevance to you: they were trying to justify themselves by works and not faith: you'll see this continued in the letter.
Again, the Bible cannot contradict itself. So if Christians can't be led astray, but these people Paul was addressing (works lovers) were (and he indeed says they'll be cursed)... What's the conclusion?
Well, the only conclusion that can be arrived at, without the Bible contradicting itself, is that works promoters weren't Christians.
They were part of the church from an attendance and involvement standpoint but they were not following Christ, they were turning to a different gospel.

O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? ... Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? ... Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith... Know then that it is those of faith who are the sons of Abraham.
The Galatians were being led astray by people, exactly like you, who were parroting works.

But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world, whose slaves you want to be once more?
And he calls these things (justification by works) worthless, and even calls people who follow them uneducated and immature ("elementary").

How do we know we are not being led astray? How do we know we are still firm in the faith... By checking it against what's Biblical and true.
What I've been shown- is in line with what Paul is speaking.
What you are preaching- is not and according to Paul, "let him be accursed".

You can’t answer me can you? Does it not make you feel evil to witness that God taught you and you can’t or will not share how God did that? If God made you a light are you not supposed to let people see that light?

Your evasion makes us all believe that you are not being truthful. Now you don’t want us to believe that of you, do you?

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
You can’t answer me can you? Does it not make you feel evil to witness that God taught you and you can’t or will not share how God did that? If God made you a light are you not supposed to let people see that light?

Your evasion makes us all believe that you are not being truthful. Now you don’t want us to believe that of you, do you?
You've already answered how he does.

And honestly I can care less what you believe about me.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn