Who were the Early Church Fathers after the Apostles?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
http://www.sgbcsv.org/literature/EarlyChurchHistory313AD.pdf

Introduction ............................................................................................... 36 The General Historical Outline ................................................................. 36 I. The Messianic Era (26–30 A.D.)...................................................................... 36 Ii. The Apostolic Era (30–100 A.D.). .................................................................. 36 The Messianic Era (26–30 Ad) ................................................................. 37 The Preparation For Christianity........................................................................ 37 The Earthly Life And Ministry Of The Lord Jesus Christ ................................. 39 II The Apostolic Era (30 A.D.–100 A.D.)................................................. 40 The Era Of Transition (30 A.D.–48 A.D.) (18 Years) .......................................... 40 The Era Of Expansion (48 A.D.–64 A.D.) (16 Years).......................................... 42 The Era Of Persecution (64–100 A.D.) ............................................................... 47 A Summary Of Apostolic Christianity...................................................... 50 The Era Of Transition: 100–313 A.D. 213 Years .................................... 51 Text: Galatians 1:6–7 ......................................................................................... 51 Introduction ........................................................................................................ 51 General Observations On The Persecution Of Christianity ...................... 52 Opposition To Christianity................................................................................. 52 Reasons For The Antagonism Against Christianity ........................................... 53 Christianity And The Roman Emperors ............................................................. 53 II THE HISTORICAL OUTLINE ............................................................ 54 A. The Period Of Sporadic Persecutions (100–248 A.D.)................................... 54 B. The First General Persecution Throughout The Empire (249–260 A.D.)....... 55 C. The Period Of Relative Peace (260–303 A.D.)............................................... 55 D. The Second General Persecution Throughout The Empire (303–310 A.D.).. 56 E. The Edict Of Milan And Peace (313 A.D.)..................................................... 56 III Christianity And The Roman Empire................................................... 56 IV The Progress Of Christianity................................................................ 57 V The Rise Of Ecclesiasticism.................................................................. 58 The Distinction Between Clergy And Laity....................................................... 58 The Rise Of The Episcopacy.............................................................................. 58 The Rise Of Sacerdotalism................................................................................. 59 Sacramentalism................................................................................................... 60 Catholic Unity .................................................................................................... 61 VI Primitive And Catholic Christianity .................................................... 61 Montanism.......................................................................................................... 63 Novatianism........................................................................................................ 65 Donatism

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VII Early Christianity And Greek Philosophy.......................................... 67 Theology And Philosophy.................................................................................. 68 The History Of Greek Philosophy...................................................................... 71 Philosophy And The Church Fathers ................................................................. 75 VIII The Ante–Nicene Church Fathers And Early Christian Literature... 78 Introduction ........................................................................................................ 78 The Apostolic Fathers......................................................................................... 80 The Apologists.................................................................................................... 83 The Polemicists .................................................................................................. 87 The Alexandrian School ..................................................................................... 89 The Antiochian School....................................................................................... 92 The North African School .................................................................................. 92 IX Heresies And Errors Of The Ante–Nicene Era.................................... 95 Introduction ........................................................................................................ 95 Ante–Nicene Heresies ........................................................................................ 96 Ante–Nicene Errors.......................................................................................... 104 X The Canon Of Scripture....................................................................... 112 The Significance Of The Canonicity Of Scripture ........................................... 113 Terms And Definitions..................................................................................... 114 Determining Factors ......................................................................................... 116 The History Of The Canon............................................................................... 118 Xi A Summary Of The Era Of Transition............................................... 119 Bibliography For Further Study .............................................................. 121 General History ................................................................................................ 121 General Church History.................................................................................... 121 Dictionaries Of Church History........................................................................ 123 Dictionaries Of Theology ................................................................................. 124 Biblical Theology ............................................................................................. 125 Historical Theology.......................................................................................... 125 Systematic Theology ........................................................................................ 126 Judaism............................................................................................................. 128 The Life Of Christ ............................................................................................ 128 New Testament Introduction ............................................................................ 128 Commentaries Sets On The Whole Bible Or The New Testament ............................... 129 Apostolic Church History................................................................................. 130 Early Church History........................................................................................ 132 Baptist History.................................................................................................. 134 Pre–Reformation Evangelical Groups.............................................................. 134 Baptist Histories ............................................................................................... 134 Baptist Doctrine And Practice .......................................................................... 138 THE NATURE AND HISTORY OF PHILOSOPHY ..................................... 139 Gnosticism........................................................................................................ 141 Miscellaneous Works .............................

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then explain the problem you seem to have with Christ-ordained Church hierarchy.
There ya' go! It's another logical fallacy, a "complex question".

I don't have any problem at all with Christ ordained church hierarchy.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You keep ignorantly saying that “Bishop” is not a Scriptural term because you don’t understand languages and etymology.

I HATE to be the one to break this to you but the Bible wasn’t written in English. The word we see over and over in the NT is “Episkopos”, which is the root word from which we get the Latin word, “biscopus”, which, when translated into English is “BISHOP”.

I really can’t believe that I just had to explain that to you.

As for the Bishop (overseer) blessing the bread – this role was given to the Apostles at the Last supper. The Apostles were the FIRST Bishops. We read this fact in Acts 1:20, where it says about Judas’s successor:
“Let another take his office.”

The Greek word used here for “office” is “EPISKOAY”.
Do your HOMEWORK . . .

Another thing, if you weren't so needlessly derisive, you'd be a much more pleasant conversation partner. Just sayin'.

Yeah, I know about the language. Episkopos . . . that's just it. Overseer. That's the translation. That's the function. Turn it into your own Latin based word that is not translated into English, and viola! Maleability in the meaning. Let's dial it back down to what the Bible says.

Overseer . . . not "Bishop", Giving oversight . . . not dictatorial rule.

The Apostles were the first overseers. There were no such thing as Bishops ala the CC.

And where in the Bible can we not share the Lord's Supper unless some absolute ruler over the church says its OK? Can you really think that's what God wants?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There ya' go! It's another logical fallacy, a "complex question".

I don't have any problem at all with Christ ordained church hierarchy.
You absolutely have a problem with Christ-ordained Church hierarchy.

You yourself stated that Bishops are an example of men “lording” over others – and that they are not a “Biblical” office.

Are you now retracting this claim?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it’s even MORE naïve to assume that some documents were “burned” because they didn’t agree with Catholic doctrine.
You should try to avoid ANY assumptions. But many books have been burned over the centuries. I imagine your group has been exempt from this.

1 Tim. 5:17
Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching.

1 Thess. 5:12
We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you,
Again . . . overseers, and elders, not dictatorial rulers, who lord over others, dictating to them their relationship with God.

Jesus became our Priest. Who are those who would step in between with their own priesthood?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You absolutely have a problem with Christ-ordained Church hierarchy.

You yourself stated that Bishops are an example of men “lording” over others – and that they are not a “Biblical” office.

Are you now retracting this claim?
Not elders . . . not overseers of the church, that's not who I'm talking about. Bishops of the CC. Who dictate to others concerning their relationship with God, and their worship of Him. That is not Christ ordained.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another thing, if you weren't so needlessly derisive, you'd be a much more pleasant conversation partner. Just sayin'.

Yeah, I know about the language. Episkopos . . . that's just it. Overseer. That's the translation. That's the function. Turn it into your own Latin based word that is not translated into English, and viola! Maleability in the meaning. Let's dial it back down to what the Bible says.

Overseer . . . not "Bishop", Giving oversight . . . not dictatorial rule.

The Apostles were the first overseers. There were no such thing as Bishops ala the CC.

And where in the Bible can we not share the Lord's Supper unless some absolute ruler over the church says its OK? Can you really think that's what God wants?
An “Overseer” by definition is a person who “watches and directs the work of other people in order to be sure that a job is done correctly.”
In other words – a MANAGER. That’s what a Bishop is – an OVERSEER of a diocese.

THIS is the role of the Apostles – and the role of the bishops of the Catholic Church, their successors.

Reactions: historyb

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not elders . . . not overseers of the church, that's not who I'm talking about. Bishops of the CC. Who dictate to others concerning their relationship with God, and their worship of Him. That is not Christ ordained.
Then you don't have a clue about the role of a Bishop.

Reactions: historyb

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is the role of the elder in the New Testament, where we are also taught about the overseer. But the CC position of Bishop, as a, again, dictatorial ruler of the church, is found nowhere in the New Testament. We're talking apples and oranges.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think you have "a clue" about manners and appropriate behavior. But then that's just me. Maybe some people like being talked to that way.

In fact, I guess it's just getting old again already. So I'll leave you to it.

Much love!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should try to avoid ANY assumptions. But many books have been burned over the centuries. I imagine your group has been exempt from this.
We're not talking about Huckleberry Finn - we'r talking about the Early Church Fathers.
I wan to know which writings of theirs that the Church has "burned" - as YOU claim.
Again . . . overseers, and elders, not dictatorial rulers, who lord over others, dictating to them their relationship with God.
Jesus became our Priest. Who are those who would step in between with their own priesthood?
I don't know where you get your weird ideas about Bishops - but they're not accurate.
As for priests in general - whereas, Jesus is our only mediator because only his blood is the perfect sacrifice before the Father for our sins, He is NOT the "only priest."

In the Old Testament, there were THREE levels of Priests:
Aaron, the High Priest
The Levitical/Ministerial Priesthood
The rest of the people were a general priesthood of believers.

In the New Testament, there are also THREE levels of Priests:
Jesus, our High Priest (1 Tim. 2:5, Heb. 7:22-25),
the Ministerial Priests (James 5:14-15)
The general priesthood of all Christians (1 Peter 2:5-9).

Just as with all New Testament fulfillments, the fulfillment is always more perfect than the Old Testament type.

Finally, in the Epistle of Jude, we read the warning about those who would usurp Church Authority by assuming the ministerial priesthood without the Church’s consent (Jude 1:11). In this passage he compares them to the rebellion of Korah and their subsequent punishment (Numbers 16:1-35; 31:16).

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think you have "a clue" about manners and appropriate behavior. But then that's just me. Maybe some people like being talked to that way.

In fact, I guess it's just getting old again already. So I'll leave you to it.

Much love!
When you post the manure that you do, filled with lies and anti-Catholic slurs - how do you expect to be treated?
You bring it upon yourself - then you complain about the "treatment".

Be charitable and honest - and you will receive the same in kind.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is the role of the elder in the New Testament, where we are also taught about the overseer. But the CC position of Bishop, as a, again, dictatorial ruler of the church, is found nowhere in the New Testament. We're talking apples and oranges.
How is a Bishop a "dictatorial ruler"??
Can you explain?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not a historian, nor do I recall everything I have read. However, I believe Acts 19:19 describes book burnings by Christians; the Diocletianic Persecution March 31, 302; the books of Arius and his followers (325 CE); the entire library of Antioch was ordered to be burned by the Christian Jovian in 364 CE; in 367, the bishop of Alexandria gave an order to destroy all unacceptable writings (unsubstantiated). The theologian Priscillian (385 CE) was also involved in book burnings. The list goes on...
I asked you about Early CHURCH writings that were destroyed because of opposing doctrines.

The scrolls that were burned in Acts 19:19 were done so voluntarily by those who had been practicing SORCERY.
They were scrolls having to do with SORCERY - not Christianity.

As for the works of Arius - they weren't destroyed. They are in existence so that all of the works that were written to combat this heresy would be relevant. You can't have the solution without the problem.

As for Jovian - he was a Roman Emperor - NOT a Church official. When he burned the library in Antioch - he did NOT gain the favor of the Church, who called his act "barbaric".

Please provide evidence for the Early CHURCH burning works that contained opposing doctrines.

MattMooradian

Apr 3, 2020
MUNSTER, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As for the works of Arius - they weren't destroyed. They are in existence so that all of the works that were written to combat this heresy would be relevant. You can't have the solution without the problem.

They are still in existence because they could not burn every copy. Some copies survived; I believe they were re-discovered. I will not take the point of view that 'never has a Christian organized the burning of books'. Why? Because such a statement requires 100% accuracy. You cannot believe that "never" did a Christian burn a book of another Christian. Just accept that it has happened. It can't not be true. Its like someone saying " I have never told a lie" - obviously, the person is lying. Right. My, supposedly, fellow Christians have committed horrors in the past. I can admit that.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are still in existence because they could not burn every copy. Some copies survived; I believe they were re-discovered. I will not take the point of view that 'never has a Christian organized the burning of books'. Why? Because such a statement requires 100% accuracy. You cannot believe that "never" did a Christian burn a book of another Christian. Just accept that it has happened. It can't not be true. Its like someone saying " I have never told a lie" - obviously, the person is lying. Right. My, supposedly, fellow Christians have committed horrors in the past. I can admit that.
MY point is not that this could not have happened.

YOU make a very matter-of-fact statement – and I am holding you accountable for it.

YOU said:
“Many early writings were destroyed, banned.”

I asked you if they were EARLY CHURCH writings – because THAT is the issue being discussed here.

YOU responded with a litany of examples that are not considered to be Early Church writings – nor do you have any evidence that these works were burned out of existence. As I showed you earlier – the works of Arius still exist.

So – again – my point about the writings of the Early Church still stands.

Reactions: MattMooradian

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
After the time of the apostles was the time of the bishops. Two of which were known to be disciples of John. Polycarp of Smyrna....and Ignatius of Antioch. Clement was bishop of Rome at that time too. Ignatius was bishop before 100 AD and was appointed by John.

What is sadly lacking is the understanding of how Jesus builds His church.

We tend to go to extremes in our understanding and miss the balance that the Spirit of God brings.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nobody "burned" them - so your charge is patently false..

Just saying it is quite possible that Christian writings were burned during that era, Rome didn't get Christianized until after 300 AD. Before that it was a pagan empire that persecuted Christians.

And there are still a few people around the world that will burn Bibles.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is sadly lacking is the understanding of how Jesus builds His church.

Indeed. And reading Ignatius' letters would help to rectify that for many..

8:1 [But] shun divisions, as the beginning of evils.
Do ye all follow your bishop, as Jesus Christ followed
the Father, and the presbytery as the Apostles; and to
the deacons pay respect, as to God's commandment. Let
no man do aught of things pertaining to the Church
apart from the bishop. Let that be held a valid
eucharist which is under the bishop or one to whom he
shall have committed it.

St. Ignatius of Antioch to the Smyrnaeans (Lightfoot translation)

Peace!