Who would you want with you on a deserted Island?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve been considering this question —almost placed this under Health—because to me it does apply to mental health.

surely we have read the passages concerning those brought out from the House of Slavery in the OT. Concerning mental health: mind, body, and soul…consider their passage in the wilderness…

would you want complaining, doubtful, nay-saying …a company of constant “what are we going to eat?” “What are we going to drink?” A company with you that tells you over and over “you are not going to make this journey to the land.” A constant “you will fail.” A constant “God brought you out from the house of slavery to strand you here.” Prophesying over and over “God brought you out to let you die in the wilderness.” An Urging over and over, a shouting loud uproar daily “God, we were better off back where we come out from!”

It feels like this often on this board, in daily life …all the voices fighting over “faith lost”, “salvation loss”, “not able to finish the race”, “missing the mark”, “not going to be able to make it to a better land” “falling short”, “sinking” “not having sufficient food”, or “not having sufficient drink”
for a three day journey in the wilderness…to the point that it mentally sucks the potential for Life, and any mental health of focus on He who Provides stability —right out of you.
Where—with so much convincing or pleading. As if badgering you into an agreement to the certain failure—repeated daily—or certain doom of it…the certain impossibly of not having the sufficiency for the three day journey out and away from the House of slavery…
All the naying screams “turn back” … “turn back to what you came out from” … “you (we)were better off in the house of slavery, then to be brought out of God from the House of slavery, to then be here out in the wilderness with God left to die!” There comes a point you want to cover your ears, screaming in agreement that “ok, You are right! I’m not stable!!” “ok, IF you love me, then why do you want me so hard and so long to Fail!”
you want to cover your ears and to not listen anymore to the love or watching over you coming failure. But all the naying has be planted and has gotten in deep, to where even with your ears shut” you hear “you Tare!” “God, The Father, is going to pluck you up by the roots!” “you better listen to what I’m telling you in Love; or you will fail.” “Not having sufficient food.” “Not having sufficient drink.” For the three day journey in the wilderness…
In all the uproar and fear naying…fear gets planted deep, no trust gets in, no Faith gets in…the voice must be right…there isn’t sufficient food for me out here in the wilderness or sufficient drink for me out here in the wilderness … “I don’t belong in this company” failure is certainly convincingly this way, out here, leads death. “turn back, return to the house of slavery God brought you out from”! Maybe there you will find life, maybe there you will have strength.
you do as the company instructs because all the doubting has won …being planted. Doubt has grown and sprouted, grown up like a weed so they must be right, return to the House of slavery you were better off there. “Run” “turn back” or you will surely die!

Will you be missed from their company?
No.
They are too busy planting and sowing fear to see you return to that house from which God brought you out from…too busy to see they have won, too occupied shouting at God “Give us enough food to eat that we don’t starve!” “give us enough drink that we don’t go thirsty!” to care or to even notice you go back to where God brought you out from.

what company do you want with you on a deserted island? I think about Christ temptation in the wilderness, how angels came to minister to Him. And then the devil left off and depart for a while from all the badgering of tempting Christ of “you should serve me. I can give you all this!” Calling and tempting “return you Son of man to the House of Slavery” and “serve me”
and you surely won’t die. I will give you life.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sorry venting. Maybe somewhere some one else has felt or heard those voices of certain doom. Of Certain failure planted to where it becomes easy to be convinced: you most certainly will fall on your face.

Christianity seems so dang hard and impossible to achieve…no wonder many leave. Exhausted and worn out. …all the voices fighting over “faith lost”, “salvation loss”, “not able to finish the race”, “missing the mark”, “not going to be able to make it to a better land” “falling short”, “sinking” “not having sufficient food”, or “not having sufficient drink”

it does make me think of the saying concerning children… be careful what you say and repeat, because little ears might be listening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and MatthewG

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve been considering this question —almost placed this under Health—because to me it does apply to mental health.

surely we have read the passages concerning those brought out from the House of Slavery in the OT. Concerning mental health: mind, body, and soul…consider their passage in the wilderness…

would you want complaining, doubtful, nay-saying …a company of constant “what are we going to eat?” “What are we going to drink?” A company with you that tells you over and over “you are not going to make this journey to the land.” A constant “you will fail.” A constant “God brought you out from the house of slavery to strand you here.” Prophesying over and over “God brought you out to let you die in the wilderness.” An Urging over and over, a shouting loud uproar daily “God, we were better off back where we come out from!”

It feels like this often on this board, in daily life …all the voices fighting over “faith lost”, “salvation loss”, “not able to finish the race”, “missing the mark”, “not going to be able to make it to a better land” “falling short”, “sinking” “not having sufficient food”, or “not having sufficient drink”
for a three day journey in the wilderness…to the point that it mentally sucks the potential for Life, and any mental health of focus on He who Provides stability —right out of you.
Where—with so much convincing or pleading. As if badgering you into an agreement to the certain failure—repeated daily—or certain doom of it…the certain impossibly of not having the sufficiency for the three day journey out and away from the House of slavery…
All the naying screams “turn back” … “turn back to what you came out from” … “you (we)were better off in the house of slavery, then to be brought out of God from the House of slavery, to then be here out in the wilderness with God left to die!” There comes a point you want to cover your ears, screaming in agreement that “ok, You are right! I’m not stable!!” “ok, IF you love me, then why do you want me so hard and so long to Fail!”
you want to cover your ears and to not listen anymore to the love or watching over you coming failure. But all the naying has be planted and has gotten in deep, to where even with your ears shut” you hear “you Tare!” “God, The Father, is going to pluck you up by the roots!” “you better listen to what I’m telling you in Love; or you will fail.” “Not having sufficient food.” “Not having sufficient drink.” For the three day journey in the wilderness…
In all the uproar and fear naying…fear gets planted deep, no trust gets in, no Faith gets in…the voice must be right…there isn’t sufficient food for me out here in the wilderness or sufficient drink for me out here in the wilderness … “I don’t belong in this company” failure is certainly convincingly this way, out here, leads death. “turn back, return to the house of slavery God brought you out from”! Maybe there you will find life, maybe there you will have strength.
you do as the company instructs because all the doubting has won …being planted. Doubt has grown and sprouted, grown up like a weed so they must be right, return to the House of slavery you were better off there. “Run” “turn back” or you will surely die!

No.
They are too busy planting and sowing fear to see you return to that house from which God brought you out from…too busy to see they have won, too occupied shouting at God “Give us enough food to eat that we don’t starve!” “give us enough drink that we don’t go thirsty!” to care or to even notice you go back to where God brought you out from.

what company do you want with you on a deserted island? I think about Christ temptation in the wilderness, how angels came to minister to Him. And then the devil left off and depart for a while from all the badgering of tempting Christ of “you should serve me. I can give you all this!” Calling and tempting “return you Son of man to the House of Slavery” and “serve me”

All three of us, me, myself, and I maam.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No.

Now, in all seriousness I wouldn't want to be deserted on an island, but obviously if it happened I would want my best friend my wife, and my dog. For the most part, that is my world anyway. But I admit it would be especially tough for a Christian as we interact with so many people that it would be a radical change that would take a while to adjust to. People were created to interact with each other. Remember God was once alone, but no doubt that played into His desire to create.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, in all seriousness I wouldn't want to be deserted on an island, but obviously if it happened I would want my best friend my wife, and my dog. For the most part, that is my world anyway. But I admit it would be especially tough for a Christian as we interact with so many people that it would be a radical change that would take a while to adjust to. People were created to interact with each other. Remember God was once alone, but no doubt that played into His desire to create.

I almost deleted this thread, not sure how though…understanding how to delete a post but not knowing how to delete a thread. I almost deleted it because in rereading it…it sounds pathetic, full of self pity. But still it is a question I struggle with every day: IF you love me, then why do you want me so hard and so long to Fail. The intent was in considering:
edification in obedience unto righteousness (wondering where is edification? Where is strengthening, where is Love?)
Or sin unto death.
The verse of the day on my bible app was a helpful reminder toward self-pity: Psalm 112:7 He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord.

Reactions: Pearl and Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Who would you want with you on a deserted Island?
an engaging woman. :D

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

No.

Hi @VictoryinJesus A relevant consideration is that John's First Epistle shows the value of fellowship: Godward and manward........

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You know ….she would drive you crazy.
Then you would be hollering “someone, please, rescue me from this desert island!”
What is it…be careful what you ask for. o_O
'Engaging' doesn't sound too bad to me. 'Unengaging' covers lots of territory ....that'd be enough to bend any coconut outta shape! :eek:

Reactions: Waiting on him

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @VictoryinJesus A relevant consideration is that John's First Epistle shows the value of fellowship: Godward and manward........

what I don’t get is I’m always so whipped and exhausted. Recently I went to sit out at the ER because my heart was flip-flopping in my chest…my blood pressure 120/43. There was this man I had seen a couple days before at work…a young guy maybe in his twenties that walked up to me. He point blank asked me “do you like blowing people up? Do you like blood?” I could tell he wasn’t playing and was on something. I stood frozen thinking “what?”
I asked “no. Do you?” I didn’t know what to say or do, but felt threatened. I was afraid to walk off from him, but also felt like I needed to go get help. So I just stood there and asked “are you ok?” He reached for the stack of papers I was holding, kept coughing and making gurgling sounds into his hands and then rubbing his hands all over the papers, handing them back to me. I still stood there, telling him “I not going anywhere. I’ll stand here with you as long as you want me to.” Finally he left and I watched him leave the store…immediately I went to tell security. I saw him come in three more times that day. Just lurking off by himself. Reason for telling you this is…odd then while I was in the ER a couple of days later…he walked up to me being there too. It wasn’t just him, but so many that were in far worse shape than I was in. I sat there watching… a man who fumbled over putting money in a machine to get a drink and snack …going to him to ask if he needed help. He handed me money with blood all over it, having blood all down his pants from an accident…not able to clearly speak but urging me to take the money and help him with the machine he couldn’t understand. Honestly, in my head a voice was screaming “don’t you dare touch that money! There is blood on those dollar bills!” But I did any way. I sat there for hours in a crowd and thought “how the hell can you think there is no purpose?” I get someone comes in to ask “do you need a blanket”
But there seemed be such a need for constant … “I see you.” Such a need for a smile or some positivity. As many Christians as there are in the world it seems there would be an endless flood of opportunities…and more than enough that the whole doesn’t get drained …

Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
what I don’t get is I’m always so whipped and exhausted. Recently I went to sit out at the ER because my heart was flip-flopping in my chest…my blood pressure 120/43. There was this man I had seen a couple days before at work…a young guy maybe in his twenties that walked up to me. He point blank asked me “do you like blowing people up? Do you like blood?” I could tell he wasn’t playing and was on something. I stood frozen thinking “what?”
I asked “no. Do you?” I didn’t know what to say or do, but felt threatened. I was afraid to walk off from him, but also felt like I needed to go get help. So I just stood there and asked “are you ok?” He reached for the stack of papers I was holding, kept coughing and making gurgling sounds into his hands and then rubbing his hands all over the papers, handing them back to me. I still stood there, telling him “I not going anywhere. I’ll stand here with you as long as you want me to.” Finally he left and I watched him leave the store…immediately I went to tell security. I saw him come in three more times that day. Just lurking off by himself. Reason for telling you this is…odd then while I was in the ER a couple of days later…he walked up to me being there too. It wasn’t just him, but so many that were in far worse shape than I was in. I sat there watching… a man who fumbled over putting money in a machine to get a drink and snack …going to him to ask if he needed help. He handed me money with blood all over it, having blood all down his pants from an accident…not able to clearly speak but urging me to take the money and help him with the machine he couldn’t understand. Honestly, in my head a voice was screaming “don’t you dare touch that money! There is blood on those dollar bills!” But I did any way. I sat there for hours in a crowd and thought “how the hell can you think there is no purpose?” I get someone comes in to ask “do you need a blanket”
But there seemed be such a need for constant … “I see you.” Such a need for a smile or some positivity. As many Christians as there are in the world it seems there would be an endless flood of opportunities…and more than enough that the whole doesn’t get drained …
Hi @VictoryinJesus Sometimes in some situations saying less can be a good tactic. James's Epistle comes to mind, right?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I almost deleted this thread, not sure how though…understanding how to delete a post but not knowing how to delete a thread. I almost deleted it because in rereading it…it sounds pathetic, full of self pity. But still it is a question I struggle with every day: IF you love me, then why do you want me so hard and so long to Fail. The intent was in considering:
edification in obedience unto righteousness (wondering where is edification? Where is strengthening, where is Love?)
Or sin unto death.
The verse of the day on my bible app was a helpful reminder toward self-pity: Psalm 112:7 He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord.

I really don't understand the philosophy of God wanting you to fail, where on earth do you come up with that? 2 Pet 3:9

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really don't understand the philosophy of God wanting you to fail, where on earth do you come up with that? 2 Pet 3:9

i wasn’t meaning God.

…only meant this world sometimes feels like swimming up stream in violent waters. I get that is my problem and maybe I should stop trying to swim so hard. But I was only voicing maybe we have all felt kicked at some point …thinking about it I’m not sure it is so bad to feel that way, or say you feel that way because the psalms are full of similar cries that are relatable why?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the psalms are full of similar cries that are relatable why?
Psalm 42:1-11 As the hart pants after the water brooks, so pants my soul after You, O God. [2] My soul thirsts for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God? [3] My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is your God? [4] When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday. [5] Why are you cast down, O my soul? and why are you disquieted in me? hope you in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance. [6] O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember you from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar. [7] Deep calls unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all your waves and your billows are gone over me. [8] Yet the Lord will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life. [9] I will say unto God my rock, Why have you forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? [10] As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God? [11] Why are you cast down, O my soul? and why are you disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.

Get the above could be Christ speaking during the crucifixion…but also Galatians 4:6 And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Psalm 22:11-20 Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help. [12] Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round. [13] They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion. [14] I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels. [15] My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death. [16] For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet. [17] I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me. [18] They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture. [19] But be not thou far from me, O Lord : O my strength, hasten You to help me. [20] Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i wasn’t meaning God.

…only meant this world sometimes feels like swimming up stream in violent waters. I get that is my problem and maybe I should stop trying to swim so hard. But I was only voicing maybe we have all felt kicked at some point …thinking about it I’m not sure it is so bad to feel that way, or say you feel that way because the psalms are full of similar cries that are relatable why?

I better understand your meaning now maam. Being a Christian was forewarned to as as not being easy. Perhaps these passages will help: (Acts 14:22) . . .“We must enter into the Kingdom of God through many tribulations.. . .
(Matthew 10:38) And whoever does not accept his stake and follow after me is not worthy of me.
(John 15:19) If you were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own. Now because you are no part of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, for this reason the world hates you.
(1 Thessalonians 3:4) For when we were with you, we used to tell you in advance that we would suffer tribulation, and that is what has happened, just as you know.

Even the Apostle Paul struggled constantly to remain obedient to the faith: (Romans 7:18-25) . . .For I know that in me, that is, in my flesh, there dwells nothing good; for I have the desire to do what is fine but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good that I wish, but the bad that I do not wish is what I practice. 20 If, then, I do what I do not wish, I am no longer the one carrying it out, but it is the sin dwelling in me. 21 I find, then, this law in my case: When I wish to do what is right, what is bad is present with me. 22 I really delight in the law of God according to the man I am within, 23 but I see in my body another law warring against the law of my mind and leading me captive to sin’s law that is in my body. 24 Miserable man that I am! Who will rescue me from the body undergoing this death? 25 Thanks to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So, then, with my mind I myself am a slave to God’s law, but with my flesh to sin’s law.

But we need not fear Vicky, God promises to: (1 Corinthians 10:13) . . .No temptation has come upon you except what is common to men. But God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear, but along with the temptation he will also make the way out so that you may be able to endure it.

I know this to be true as when I am tempted to commit a serious sin, I see the way out that has been provided, every single time. And most of the time, that is simply walking away.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Maybe somewhere some one else has felt or heard those voices of certain doom.
VIJ. Just shut out the voices of gloom and doom. There is one God and ONE MEDIATOR between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus. Just listen to Him and ignore all other voices. Read the Psalms continually and daily, since the Holy Spirit wrote those Psalms through the psalmists.

PSALM 8: O LORD OUR LOR HOW EXCELLENT IS THY NAME IN ALL THE EARTH
1 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.
2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all
things under his feet:
7 All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field;
8 The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea,
and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.
9 O LORD our Lord, how excellent
is thy name in all the earth!

HEBREWS 2: CHRIST IS CROWNED WITH ALL GLORY AND HONOUR
5 For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection the world to come, whereof we speak.
6 But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him?
7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:
8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing
that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.
9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
10 For it became him, for whom
are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified
are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,
12 Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.
13 And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.
14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto
his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.