Who Wrote Genesis?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
The beginning of the world starts from Genesis in the bible, ok? who wrote it? Man was the last thing that ALMIGHTY GOD created. how come we know how things were created?

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Moses wrote the Torah which consists of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. Most of what is written was directly received from Yahveh and possibly a small portion was passed down from one generation to another orally.

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
God wrote Genesis along with the rest of the bible. He did it through men which has always been the case. God always works through people as to bring Himself glory. That is why he saves others when we are undeserving and that is why He created the heavens and the earth and everything seen and unseen...it was for Him. For His glory and His honor and for His joy and on and on. It is all for Him and through His grace we are given the privileged to partake in the work that God is doing.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
God wrote Genesis along with the rest of the bible. He did it through men which has always been the case. God always works through people as to bring Himself glory. That is why he saves others when we are undeserving and that is why He created the heavens and the earth and everything seen and unseen...it was for Him. For His glory and His honor and for His joy and on and on. It is all for Him and through His grace we are given the privileged to partake in the work that God is doing.

Which bible(s) did God write?

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
Which bible(s) did God write?
God used men to write everything from OT to NT. Originally it was written in Hebrew and Greek and as time went by they were copied. There are some where around 23,000 manuscripts written which is what is used to make translations into English and all other languages. However, some of the manuscripts have minor variations in them. But the words that are changed are nothing big just small words like and, but, it and the like. So the translators had to do there best to determine which english word would best represent the missing word. Hebrew and Greek are much different than English so it is no easy task...

That is why today we have so many translations. The KJV, NKJV, NASB and the ESV are the literal translations which are good for serious bible study because it translates every word and keeps it as close to the original meaning as possible. All the other translations such as NIV, NLT, TNIV....and so on are paraphrases. They take the original meaning and translate it in order to make it easier to understand.

Many say that the manuscripts used for the newer translations are corrupt and alter the word of God...but I can't agree or disagree to be honest. To make such a claim would require much time spent studying the history of the manuscripts and their various sources to determine that and I haven't taken the time yet to get the details. But for now I would say that the KJV, NKJV and NASB are the most accurate translations that represent the true word of God. Honestly, even if there are minor mistakes and translation...it's nothing major that leads away from the truth in such a way that will cause you to deny God or anything like that. When we die and see Christ face to face we will have full knowledge....

If you really want the pureist form of God's word...you can learn the ancient Greek and Hebrew languages and read the bible in their original language. :lol:

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
If you really want the pureist form of God's word...you can learn the ancient Greek and Hebrew languages and read the bible in their original language. :lol:

I agree, I don't care for the bias of some of the translations.
cool.gif

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
I agree, I don't care for the bias of some of the translations.
cool.gif

Look, jiggyfly, I've said this before, and I'll say it again, If it wasn't for all the mistranslations of the Scriptures, I'd have never been prompted to go to the Original Writings, with the aid of a lexicon and concordance of course, to clear up the bogus renditions. I'd have to admit the KJV is one of my favorites because of its consistent inconsistencies. I can never be sure how much error I'm in until I've started with the KJV and worked my way out of it. Disarming the Slanderer and despoiling his web in the modern Bible translations we have today is too much of a chore, so sticking to one translation, the KJV, has helped me to stay focused. Now that I know where they were coming from when they interpreted things, it's easier to dismantle the crooked and discard the trash. Hooray for the KJV!
fivesense

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Look, jiggyfly, I've said this before, and I'll say it again, If it wasn't for all the mistranslations of the Scriptures, I'd have never been prompted to go to the Original Writings, with the aid of a lexicon and concordance of course, to clear up the bogus renditions. I'd have to admit the KJV is one of my favorites because of its consistent inconsistencies. I can never be sure how much error I'm in until I've started with the KJV and worked my way out of it. Disarming the Slanderer and despoiling his web in the modern Bible translations we have today is too much of a chore, so sticking to one translation, the KJV, has helped me to stay focused. Now that I know where they were coming from when they interpreted things, it's easier to dismantle the crooked and discard the trash. Hooray for the KJV!
fivesense

That's great Fivesense and it seems to have worked in your case but where you know the truth concerning KJV many do not.

Here's a question for others concerning the traditions and doctrines that are taught within the Christian religious institution, does Jesus use lies and deception to build His ekklesia?

bling

May 5, 2009
I read a book a long time ago title "who wrote the Bible" , and agree with the author that was just discussing the first five books. I also discussed this with some Jewish scholars from Jerusalem that had similar conclusions. It is the "Books of Moses" but Moses did not dictate them or write them and people didnot just memorize what he said. Genesis uses two names for God one being the name the Northern tribes used and the other being the southern tribes. Some really excelent insired editor put these two stories together (probably Jerimiah).

evanom

May 8, 2010
Bogota Colombia
WHile we are on the topic, i would love to suggest everyone download an interlinear Bible software at www.scripture4all.org. It is fantastic for any serious bible student as we can do a word for word translation of the whole bible in the original greek and hebrew. A must for anyone who truly searches for truth amidst a collection of translations.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
Moses actually mentions other books that he used in order to get some of his information.
Genesis 5:1 "5 This is the BOOK of Adam’s history. In the day of God’s creating Adam he made him in the likeness of God"
It would be very naieve to think that the earliest people whom God created did not have some form of writing. Also the fact that the names of the decendents of Adam are all listed is more evidence that there were written records (obviously now lost) where Moses got some of his information from.

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
Moses actually mentions other books that he used in order to get some of his information.
Genesis 5:1 "5 This is the BOOK of Adam’s history. In the day of God’s creating Adam he made him in the likeness of God"
It would be very naieve to think that the earliest people whom God created did not have some form of writing. Also the fact that the names of the decendents of Adam are all listed is more evidence that there were written records (obviously now lost) where Moses got some of his information from.

Not quite Pegg, the word “this” is “zeh” זה and it is the masculine demonstrative pronoun, this or that: meaning the (self) same so the book is this self same book, the one Moses is currently writing.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
WHile we are on the topic, i would love to suggest everyone download an interlinear Bible software at www.scripture4all.org. It is fantastic for any serious bible student as we can do a word for word translation of the whole bible in the original greek and hebrew. A must for anyone who truly searches for truth amidst a collection of translations.

A brief thanks for the link. I expect others will find it useful, since all here are "serious bible student(s)".
fivesense

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
Not quite Pegg, the word “this” is “zeh” זה and it is the masculine demonstrative pronoun, this or that: meaning the (self) same so the book is this self same book, the one Moses is currently writing.

that doesnt necessarily mean that he is refering to the scroll he was writing. He could just as well have been referencing a scroll 'this self same scroll' that he was reading from in order to get accurate information.

The distinction is not made either way, so the only real thing to go by is the information he recorded. He named the family line from Adam thru Seth and the lifespans of all the decendents....this sort of information was recorded by the patriachal head and passed on from patriach to patriach. IMO its more logical to conclude that he had that information on hand to make an accurate record.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
that doesnt necessarily mean that he is refering to the scroll he was writing. He could just as well have been referencing a scroll 'this self same scroll' that he was reading from in order to get accurate information.

The distinction is not made either way, so the only real thing to go by is the information he recorded. He named the family line from Adam thru Seth and the lifespans of all the decendents....this sort of information was recorded by the patriachal head and passed on from patriach to patriach. IMO its more logical to conclude that he had that information on hand to make an accurate record.

I see your point Pegg, where do you think Moses would have found a book of this nature?

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
I see your point Pegg, where do you think Moses would have found a book of this nature?

historical records would have been kept by the patriachs of the families...Moses was a decendent of Shem and Noah so there is no reason why such family records were not available thru some family members back in egypt. Also the phrase moses uses a lot is “this is the history of,” and some scholars agree that “history,” (toh.le.dhohth') refers to an existing document...the word is used in numerous places such as at Esther 10:2 in regard to the existing books of Chronicles.

Now, i am of course speculating a little on this so im not going to be dogmatic and say its 100%, but the evidence shows that he must have got the information for the family line from Adam from somewhere....he didnt make up the names himself. God could have given him the names under inspiration but the fact that he makes mention of the 'geneological annals' of Adam is strong evidence that he had some written record with which to copy from.

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007

james, you say that god always works through people. who does he work through today?