Who you really are

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who you really are

Who are you really? You are the human riding the horse. The horse is your animal mind. The animal mind is mainly concerned with bodily functions feelings and urges. The animal mind does whatever it feels like doing whenever it feels like doing it.

You are the observer of the animal mind. You are the human mind. The human mind is the rational mind that objectively observes all things. You observe the external world and your internal world. Externally you observe what is or could happen and internally you observe what things you enjoy and what things you dont. Most importantly you observe the connections between events and whether or not you will enjoy the outcome. You do not "think". You make observations.

The rational mind emerges from the animal mind. But the rational mind cannot emerge from the animal mind as long as it is enslaved to the animal mind. The rational mind is enslaved by the animal mind by the alarm system which is a part of the animal mind. The alarm system is infinitely powerful. (It wouldn't be a very good alarm system if it wasn't). The rational mind is not powerful enough to fight the alarm system but the rational mind can turn the alarms off one by one and thereby free itself. See below to learn how to do that.

Once the rational mind and the animal mind are separate the animal mind can experience pain, or rather fear, while the rational mind knows the danger is only an illusion and that it is safe thus creating the experience of good pain. Good pain has all the thrill and excitement of danger but none of the fear that so greatly interferes with ones ability to enjoy oneself. Good pain is a fundamentally different sensation from bad pain. They are two completely different things. See: Discipline.

Irrational fears

Seeing something that you have an irrational fear of causes alarms to go off inside your head.
The alarms going off inside your head causes you pain.
The pain causes you to have an irrational fear of the thing that caused the alarms which caused the pain.
Its a never ending vicious cycle.

The important thing to note is that it is the alarms that are painful. Not the original stimulus.
Therefore you can break out of that vicious cycle by turning those alarms off.

No alarms = no pain
No pain = no fear
No fear = no alarms

Another way of saying this is that if you believe that it will hurt then it does hurt.
But if you dont believe that it will hurt then it doesnt hurt.
You only need to suspend your disbelief for a few seconds to break out of the cycle

If you can turn the alarms off and thereby stop the pain then why would you not do so?

I like this. Another way I handle negative ideas or ideas which cause you anxiety is to imagine them as a feather instead of a piercing arrow. I allow the ideas to come but to not affect me and just like a feather they gently touch me and fall.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who you really are

Who are you really? You are the human riding the horse. The horse is your animal mind. The animal mind is mainly concerned with bodily functions feelings and urges. The animal mind does whatever it feels like doing whenever it feels like doing it.

You are the observer of the animal mind. You are the human mind. The human mind is the rational mind that objectively observes all things. You observe the external world and your internal world. Externally you observe what is or could happen and internally you observe what things you enjoy and what things you dont. Most importantly you observe the connections between events and whether or not you will enjoy the outcome. You do not "think". You make observations.

The rational mind emerges from the animal mind. But the rational mind cannot emerge from the animal mind as long as it is enslaved to the animal mind. The rational mind is enslaved by the animal mind by the alarm system which is a part of the animal mind. The alarm system is infinitely powerful. (It wouldn't be a very good alarm system if it wasn't). The rational mind is not powerful enough to fight the alarm system but the rational mind can turn the alarms off one by one and thereby free itself. See below to learn how to do that.

Once the rational mind and the animal mind are separate the animal mind can experience pain, or rather fear, while the rational mind knows the danger is only an illusion and that it is safe thus creating the experience of good pain. Good pain has all the thrill and excitement of danger but none of the fear that so greatly interferes with ones ability to enjoy oneself. Good pain is a fundamentally different sensation from bad pain. They are two completely different things. See: Discipline.

Irrational fears

Seeing something that you have an irrational fear of causes alarms to go off inside your head.
The pain causes you to have an irrational fear of the thing that caused the alarms which caused the pain.

The important thing to note is that it is the alarms that are painful. Not the original stimulus.

No alarms = no pain
No pain = no fear
No fear = no alarms

Another way of saying this is that if you believe that it will hurt then it does hurt.
You only need to suspend your disbelief for a few seconds to break out of the cycle

If you can turn the alarms off and thereby stop the pain then why would you not do so?
I have no idea what this has to do with the Bible, but from a human behavior standpoint, I think you're trying to explain the difference between positive and negative stress.

Safe, controlled stress (like an amusement park ride) can be healthy.

Uncontrolled prolonged stress can lead to death.

Flight, freeze, fight, fawn, are all uncontrollable safety mechanisms for survival, some learned.

But your brain doesn't create reality. Your brain responds to reality. Truth is not subjective. It either is or it isn't.

You can look away from a bear, but the bear is still going to be there, and if you keep pretending it isn't, you are going to be bear's picnic basket.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And how do we come to know our 'selves' better? By focusing on 'self' and meditating on the 'self.'

This is the General Discussions Forum, and granpa is Agnostic so I have no debate here, but you profess to be a Christian.

Nowhere in scripture does God command/encourage one to focus on the 'self' or meditate upon 'self.' On the contrary, all of scripture supports the concept of focusing on God Almighty, ... meditating on His Ways, etc.

In the late '90s and early 2000s, every shelf in the New Age section of Barnes and Nobles was filled with books, from all Authors, with widely varying titles and topics. All of them taught a very foundationally similar concept.

Ask me how I know.

This idea may be very old, but that doesn't make it accurate ... at all. You could spend multiple lifetimes focusing on 'self' and meditating the decades away and you will come no closer whatsoever to knowing the Truth of things, or mastering your life.

The only path to that destination is through God's Word. Trust me, I studied, preached and taught New Age doctrine for 14 years before God opened my spiritual eyes for the better. The Bible is the only collection of information that answered every life question I have ever had and solved all of the mysteries that I had previously conceded to never solving until I "got to the other side."

The answers we are looking for are not within ourselves. But I can promise you that if you insist on seeking there, you will be guided down endless rabbit holes until all of your time for seeking is expired.

We are mere puppets at the mercy of the spirit realm without friends in high spiritual places. The only way to get in good with those powers we cannot fully imagine, or perceive, is to get in good with a master of that spirit realm. You have only two from which to choose from.

I pray you choose wisely. One of those masters loses definitively in the end ... and takes all those who followed him and his ways along with him.
Same here. Did the same thing.

Turn off the Alan Watts chillstep.

Absolute circular mind-mess and honestly during my entire time into the new age, if we had to give a logical explanation for anything sober with ans write out the correct definitions for things like "quantum physics" or "subatomic particles" we would have sat dumbfounded. It is brain numbing profound word salad.

You do not know how thankful I am Jesus saved me from not just from sin, but a wasted life of drawing words on jars of wasted cooked rice and having a four hours worth of Google searches every time the microwave hit 11:11 to figure out the mysteries of life.

Reactions: GEN2REV

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Who you really are

Irrational fears

No alarms = no pain
No pain = no fear
No fear = no alarms

Hello fellow granpa! :)

When Adam sinned against God he lost his outer covering which was the holiness and eternal life he was living under. The part that is created in God's image ...the inner man...needed to be covered to protect its weakness in the now fallen world...now under the dominion of the devil.

That outer covering is like the protective husk around a seed. The spirit inside the inner man is regenerated (quickened into a God-conscious life) by God's Spirit when someone turns to Christ. But the outer man is unaffected as he is created only as a survival mechanism in the temporal world. So there is the temporal person and the part of us that God wants to connect with which is the inner man. Unless the outer husk dies the life that is placed within the inner man can't be released.

The New Covenant is between God and the inner man. It is an inward covenant. So then we can live for the flesh and filter everything through that filter...as most believers do, or else we can be crucified in the outer man in order to walk under the eternal covering of God so as to be able to walk as Jesus walked.

Reactions: faithfulness

granpa

Sep 23, 2009
West coast
tok.fandom.com
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
I have no idea what this has to do with the Bible, but from a human behavior standpoint, I think you're trying to explain the difference between positive and negative stress.

Safe, controlled stress (like an amusement park ride) can be healthy.

Uncontrolled prolonged stress can lead to death.

Flight, freeze, fight, fawn, are all uncontrollable safety mechanisms for survival, some learned.

But your brain doesn't create reality. Your brain responds to reality. Truth is not subjective. It either is or it isn't.

You can look away from a bear, but the bear is still going to be there, and if you keep pretending it isn't, you are going to be bear's picnic basket.

Yes but irrational fears are not reality.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is brain numbing profound word salad.
That's great. I like that.
You do not know how thankful I am Jesus saved me from not just from sin, but a wasted life of drawing words on jars of wasted cooked rice and having a four hours worth of Google searches every time the microwave hit 11:11 to figure out the mysteries of life.
I've often thought about that person I was then, and how certain I was of my wisdom from all those far-out theoretical concepts of life and mind and spirit and everything else that goes along with it.

It was not at all wasted time though. In fact, I am of the opinion now that God directed me down that path to help me better understand the enemy, his ways and all that is wrong with all other religions and paradigms.

After devouring countless New Age books like they were gospel, when I was finally presented with the True Gospel, my soul soaked it up like a dry sponge and my hunger for Truth was more satiated than it had ever been before. When you develop a love for the Truth, you become acutely aware of it and your discernment is honed to a razor's edge.

I am humbled by, and grateful for, my journey and know beyond the shadow of any doubt who God is and where to go to learn all about Him and His sacred Ways.

It's amazing how God uses all things for the good of those who love and seek Him sincerely.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have a carnal mind and a spiritual mind if one is a born again believer.

In our natural mind however we still have logic, and reasoning with problems or whatever.

Then we have our spiritual nature being born again given the Holy Spirit/ spirit of Christ to live by in which we are relating to the world in a total and completely new way, than before.

Just realized this nonchristian board but there is no other way to understand this other than above when it comes to natural and spiritual.

granpa

Sep 23, 2009
West coast
tok.fandom.com
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Who you really are

Irrational fears

No alarms = no pain
No pain = no fear
No fear = no alarms

Do not fall into the trap of defense mechanisms:

• Theistic repression declaring all dirty thoughts or impulses to be evil (thus inadvertently making them more dirty) with the intension of distancing oneself from them (even though the person doing so may be guilty of them himself).
  • Atheistic identification, incorporating an object or thought into oneself. The exact opposite of repression. In other words, regarding all dirty thoughts and deeds to be clean no matter how much dirt is on them. Dirt = irrational fear

Glen55

Sep 4, 2015
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The word claimed to be God is I AM that's a mystery to man who thinks it and does it Everyday!

God is, for I AM! I kill and I make alive, I wound and I heal. I create the light and I form the darkness and besides me there is no other God. Whatever I want, I must assume the full responsibility for it. If I want to conjure health and the doctors tell me I cannot overcome my illness and I believe them, I have made my choice and must accept the responsibility for it. But if I dare to assume health, God is proclaiming it, for he has no name other than I AM! This is the grand revelation found in the third chapter, the 14th verse, of Exodus. “Go and tell them `I AM has sent me to you.’ “Whatever you declare, is; for God’s name is any form of the verb to be, whether it is I AM, I was, or I will be.

Glen55

Sep 4, 2015
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Most who claim to be christians like to judge, first Adam's are like John Baptist who looked outside himself and like to judge. Second Aman wakes and laughs at psychical male and females who are blind. No ones lost so learn to laugh at yourself.

Glen55

Sep 4, 2015
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Calling new age is really by Roman in third Century and tried to killed the real way. The first five books of the Bible are called the Torah, or the Law, with Abraham as the symbol of the beginning of civilization. But the outstanding character recorded there is the infinite, eternal state called Moses. The word Moses is the old perfected [form] of the Egyptian verb “to be born”; so it is in the state of Moses that something is to be born. Now, at the end of the Torah we are told: “Moses, the servant of the Lord died and the Lord buried him, but no man knows the place of his burial to this day.” (Deuteronomy 34) Why? Because Moses is buried in you.

Glen55

Sep 4, 2015
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The modern west christians are looking and waiting for what's in them and blind about it, and love to call others new age.
Remember: Moses is not a person, but an eternal plan of God. He was shown everything and told to follow the pattern that he saw in the mountain. No one knows who wrote the books of the Torah. They are only signed with the letters J, B, and P. In fact, we do not know the author of any book in the Bible. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are anonymous names of those who wrote their own visions and revelations of God’s eternal plan of salvation. In the state of Moses, I have been leading you into a new and perilous way. I have called you as a group, and explained what has happened to me . . the pattern man . . in the hope that you will hear me with faith. Not everyone will believe me, just as they did not believe Moses.

granpa

Sep 23, 2009
West coast
tok.fandom.com
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
I see a pattern forming here. If you can't attack what someone says because it's too logical then associate that person with someone who's clearly deranged and attack both of them together

Last edited:
Reactions: GaryAnderson

Maxxx17

Nov 16, 2021
London
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
I'm a man who's glad I have a gun license. And I do everything for my own safety. Am I living in a world where I'm intimidated? Or am I just a lunatic who walks around with a gun. The answer is not accurate. Obviously, I don't want to and don't show everyone that I have one. I recently bought myself a Best Ruger EC9s Holster and hide it under my sweatshirt. I haven't had to take it out yet. I hope I don't have to. Am I doing the right thing by carrying the gun? I'm confused...

Last edited:

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm a man who's glad I have a gun license. And I do everything for my own safety. Am I living in a world where I'm intimidated? Or am I just a lunatic who walks around with a gun. The answer is not accurate. Obviously, I don't want to and don't show everyone that I have one. I recently bought myself a Best Ruger EC9s Holster and hide it under my sweatshirt. I haven't had to take it out yet. I hope I don't have to. Am I doing the right thing by carrying the gun? I'm confused...

I don’t own any guns so my view is that you’re inviting danger into your life by having a weapon of war in your possession.
To each his own though.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The rational mind emerges from the animal mind. Emergence - Wikipedia

How do we know anything? By observing. But to do that we must be free to observe objectively and to do that we must turn the alarms off that are preventing us from doing that.

If an alarm is meant to be there then it will quickly reform

the existence of a wikipage about something doesn't make it true.

how much does your consciousness weigh?