Whoever Believes In Me Will Do The Works I have Been Doing, And They Will Do Even Greater Things Than These,

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sunday 1-1-23 1st. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tevet 8, 5783 12th. Winter Day

John 14:12-14
  • According to 2 sources

John 14:12-14 KJV Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

John 14:12-14 KJV - Bible

bible.com
John 14:12-14 King James Version 12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Bible Gateway passage: Joh…

biblegateway.com

Feedback

• People also ask

What does the Bible say about greater works?“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father. ” John 14:12 (NASB) We have already discovered that Jesus used the phrase “greater works” in John 5:20 to refer to more amazing things that He would do.

John 14:12 — What did Jesus mean by greater works than these?

www.neverthirsty.org/bible-qa/qa-archives/question/john-…
    What is the King James Version of the Bible?King James Version 12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Bible Gateway passage: John 14:12-14 - King James Version

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2014:1…
    What does John 14 12 KJV say?John 14:12 KJV: Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. King James Bible Online

John 14:12 - KING JAMES BIBLE ONLINE

www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/John-14-12/
    Why did Jesus say “greater works” in John 14:12?” John 14:12 (NASB) We have already discovered that Jesus used the phrase “greater works” in John 5:20 to refer to more amazing things that He would do. The greater things to which Jesus referred in this verse is the work of salvation, since He was speaking about things related to salvation in John 14:1-11.

Love, Walter and Debbie

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344 and Nancy

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "greater works than these" comment by Jesus, was an announcement of a change in God's plans from physical to spiritual.

All the miracles of Christ and those of God since the beginning until that time, were in the world and enacted by physical, natural, and fleshly worldly means. But Jesus going to the Father marked the time of Joel's prophecy of God pouring out His spirit upon all flesh--not meaning that all would do miracles as Christ had done--which Jesus clarified in his comment, saying:

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.​

Indicating rather, that unlike Jesus and the prophets who prayed to the Father and produced physical miracles, "all flesh" would produce greater things than those limited to the physical realm, but would instead produce greater things in the spirit realm of God in heaven. Involving "all flesh", the outcome was to be (and is) both good and evil "as destruction from the Almighty." Joel 1:15 Which things are depicted by the foreshadowing of those former [physical] miracles.

The same is true of many words formerly spoken. First having their enactment in the world as stated in worldly terms, many things were simply a picture of what was and is true and occurring in the heavenly realm. An example of this just came out in the "Was wine non-alcoholic in Jesus' time" thread, starting at comment #47.

The point is....at this time in history we should be "hearing what the Spirit says to the churches", rather than rehashing the words of scripture as if they were not spirit, but literary.

Anyone?

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Whoever Believes In Me Will Do The Works I have Been Doing, And They Will Do Even Greater Things Than These,​

OP ^

Greater (things) Works...than Jesus?

* Reflecting for a moment;
Jesus walking on water...
Jesus turning water into wine...
Jesus feeding thousands from a single basket of fish...
Jesus calling Lazarus (dead, buried for 4 days) up alive from his tomb...
Jesus rising up to the clouds without mechanical aid...

* What One WORKS “was” Jesus doing?
* Speaking the True Word of God “IN a SMALL portion of the World”.
* What One WORKS “can” man-kind Do, that which Jesus did not do?

Speak the True Word of God through-out the Whole World.

Science, per Scripture, is ABOUT Discovery.
Discovery USED for Goodness IS Godly.
Discovery USED for Wickedness IS Anti-Godly.

For example;
* Writing, Letters, Walking, Boats, Donkey, Camels, ....Jesus’ day.

* Writing, Letters, Walking, Boats, Horses, Bikes, Telegraph, Telephone, Ships, Automobiles, Airplanes, Radio, Television, Internet...Today.

** ALL viable MEANS to Speak, to Spread the Word of God through-out the whole world. <——> Goodness.

** ALL viable MEANS to Speak, to Spread Anti-Godly influence through-out the whole world. <——> Wickedness.

A bit of a conundrum: The same things can be USED for Good or Wickedness.
* Thus the CAVEAT....Believers IN Jesus, DO the SAME Works AS Jesus DID...
* With what ever new DISCOVERIES, continually USE those Discoveries to Spread the Word of God, through-out the whole world.
* Point? Glorifies God.

:My2c:

Glory to God, :)
Taken

Last edited:
Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sunday 1-1-23 1st. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tevet 8, 5783 12th. Winter Day

John 14:12-14
  • According to 2 sources

John 14:12-14 KJV Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

John 14:12-14 KJV - Bible

bible.com
John 14:12-14 King James Version 12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Bible Gateway passage: Joh…

biblegateway.com

Feedback

• People also ask

What does the Bible say about greater works?“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father. ” John 14:12 (NASB) We have already discovered that Jesus used the phrase “greater works” in John 5:20 to refer to more amazing things that He would do.

What is the King James Version of the Bible?King James Version 12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Bible Gateway passage: John 14:12-14 - King James Version

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2014:1…
    What does John 14 12 KJV say?John 14:12 KJV: Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. King James Bible Online

John 14:12 - KING JAMES BIBLE ONLINE

www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/John-14-12/
    Why did Jesus say “greater works” in John 14:12?” John 14:12 (NASB) We have already discovered that Jesus used the phrase “greater works” in John 5:20 to refer to more amazing things that He would do. The greater things to which Jesus referred in this verse is the work of salvation, since He was speaking about things related to salvation in John 14:1-11.

Love, Walter and Debbie
Many people saw Jesus, experienced His miracles, witnessed His death and resurrection and believed. That is real crux of it, to gather believers. So while on earth, He gathered many believers and now there are 2.65 billion. The combined missions of millions going out to save billions of souls is greater. I can think of one person who brought millions of souls to Christ in his life's ministry. But of course it is thr Holy Spirit doing the works through us - He gets the credit.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In post #2 I explained the "greater works" as being rather the fulfilment of the lesser works of the former days from Adam to Christ, as prophecy. Here is an example:

The story of Nineveh of old was indeed a story of what it means to follow or run from God, and also about God's willingness to relent His promise of wrath upon evil people if they repent...as well as His willingness to reinstate His wrath at a later date if the people do not maintain their repentance. The story tells of them first being saved from pending wrath, and then a generation later being completely destroyed.​
It's a great story, a true story. And for all this time, that version of the story has been enough for it to be immortalized in the eternal word of God. And yet--it is also a word of prophecy.​
Just you wait and see.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people saw Jesus, experienced His miracles, witnessed His death and resurrection and believed. That is real crux of it, to gather believers. So while on earth, He gathered many believers and now there are 2.65 billion. The combined missions of millions going out to save billions of souls is greater. I can think of one person who brought millions of souls to Christ in his life's ministry. But of course it is thr Holy Spirit doing the works through us - He gets the credit.

The mystery.
All men are born IN the world and naturally become OF the world.
Speaking of physically IN and the teaching and learning OF.

Society’s WAY...OF the world is that the WORLD dictate beliefs, works, ways.
Gods WAY...OF God is that the WORLD spread beliefs, works, ways, according to God.

The mystery.
Men can be IN the world but not OF the world.
Men can be IN the world and OF God, by, through, of....being IN Christ.
And a mans result?
Loved by God...Hated by the World.
* Forever with God...Tribulations; oppression and Injustice by the World.

* Patience and Waiting....Gods Salvation, Gods Uprising, Gods Tribulations, Gods Revenge.

Yes, credit to the Unseen Holy Spirit of God!

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus means greater in scope (worldwide), as Jesus, in His ministry was relatively localized. By/through the Holy Ghost sent in Jesus' name, the same miracles would follow, beginning in Jerusalem, then Judaea, then Samaria, and the uttermost parts of the earth.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have to show love for one another. That is Jesus' works. He explained that in the bible. Great post @WalterandDebbie

The WORKS of MAN.... is for man to BELIEVE in God and the One God sent.
The SERVICE of MAN... is for man to CONFESS his HEARTFUL Belief.

Thereafter a MAN.... is prepared to DO works...Spreading Gods WORD....that is which Glorifies God.

Yes...Spread Gods TRUE WORD, with patience, continue speaking to the eager to hear and extending love and kindness to all, including enemies.