Why are Moses & Elijah at the transfiguration?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm curious then, what are your thoughts regarding them discussing Jesus' soon departure?

Much love!

hi marks, sorry about the interruption. i guess it's no secret that i give Mssr. Wrangler no quarter, and that it irritates him to no end.
to me, a person who is not ignorant of scripture, but who goes on preaching false doctrine, is not deserving of the same kind of gentleness that a person who is unlearned and has been led astray should receive. such a person is to be treated as anathema -- in general with me, if a person presents themselves as my teacher, i will not spare inquiry. however if a person is genuinely seeking truth, without boasting that they already know everything, then i'm certainly not going to reply to them with 'both barrels'
something i wanted to point out about your remark earlier. yes, i'm not holding much back from this dude's heretical doctrine. but i'd prefer to use a swordfighting metaphor than a firearm one ((not sure if you've read my thread in the introduction section -- i do a bit of sword training as a hobby lol but have a general distaste for firearms)). so you might say, i stand in the iron gate guard, and hard against the foe, fighting in vorn. "wer gege dir sterckt, durch wechslñ damit merck" - Liechtenauer
the meaning is more or less, stab the guy who runs at you. =p

anyway -- in re: what is the nature of the discussion between Christ, Moses and Elijah, personally i think He is teaching them the basic soteriology described in Romans 6, 7 & 8. the mechanics of how His death & resurrection will accomplish our salvation through faith.
of course this is speculation, but it makes sense to me.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hi marks, sorry about the interruption. i guess it's no secret that i give Mssr. Wrangler no quarter, and that it irritates him to no end.
to me, a person who is not ignorant of scripture, but who goes on preaching false doctrine, is not deserving of the same kind of gentleness that a person who is unlearned and has been led astray should receive.

Do you assume that @Wrangler is not sincere in his view?

I don't.

2 Timothy 2:24-26 KJV
24) And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25) In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
26) And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Much love!

Reactions: Wrangler and post

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you assume that @Wrangler is not sincere in his view?

I don't.

2 Timothy 2:24-26 KJV
24) And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25) In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
26) And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Much love!

i'm sure he's sincere. if he wasn't he should be easily convinced, because the evidence in scripture for the deity of Christ is overwhelming
you could say that my impression was he has need of 'a rough shaking' ((with deference to George MacDonald))
as it is, it's a bit moot unless he relents, because he publicly declared that i'm on his 'ignore list' the other day -- which is to say, he has realized that i'm going to keep proving that Christ is God, relentlessly, and he doesn't want to see me doing it. therefore i will keep proving it =]

I -- I am Jehovah, And besides Me there is no saviour!
(Isaiah 43:11)

looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus
(Titus 2:13)​

you speak as though love is in your heart, @marks
i'm listening; thank you :)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a good quote. And we know, the only Name given by which men must be saved is Jesus Christ.

It's one thing to hammer someone with truth, and another thing to show you care, and that you understand why they think the way they do, and that you are willing to allow God to be in charge of showing them truth.

Don't we need to be seen as someone worth listening to?

Much love!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moses and Elijah representing the prophets, men of God, came as witnesses to Christ's glorified state. His face was like the sun. Moses and Elijah did not have faces like the sun, Jesus did, because He is God. The Father confirmed it audibly as He did when He was baptized. His divinity was shown as theophanies were shown partially is the OT, but even more brilliant. Jesus showed his spiritual state to Peter, James and John.
Prior to this they only had Peter's conformation that He was the Son of God, revealed to him by the Holy Spirit. Rhey ljvws with Him, learned from Him, witnesses miracles, etc. Now they saw Him in His glorified state. This gave them more encouragement - needed for what was coming, Jesus death. They saw His Majesty.
"For we did not follow cleverly devised tales when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of His majesty". 2 Peter 1:16
John later sees the Lord in His glory:
"I am the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, says the Lord, which is, which was and which is to come, the Almighty ... the Son of Man ... His head and his hairs were like wool, as white as snow and his eyes were as a flame of fire and his feet like unto fine brass as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shining in all its strength."Rev. 1:8, 13-16

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excellent verses for the non-Trinitarian.

Are we to believe their is more than one Savior? Ultimately, the Father sent the Messiah to be our Savior directly. He is the one speaking to Isaiah and all along to the Israelites. He says, "I am He", who spoke to them, to the prophets, and He desired to gather them as a hen gathers her chicks, but they were not willing.

looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus
(Titus 2:13)
I guess they ignore that or twist it.